notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

One Month Old Today

Miles,

Today you are one month old. One short month, yet it feels like I have known you forever. It is as if your place in our family was preordained. You were missing, yet we didn't even know it until you arrived.

I love the way to turn your face toward my voice when I talk to you. I love the way you raise your non-existent eyebrows and cause wrinkles across your forehead like a little old man. I love the way you purse your lips and look like you are whistling.



I love your tiny hands and the way you flail them around. I love your skinny little legs and how you hold them up in the air. And I am always amused by the body proportions of babies.




Mostly you look like this though.



and this:



I have nicknamed you Smiles, mainly because I am sarcastic, but it does sound better than Moaning Miles or Cry-els, which are the other nicknames that spring immediately to mind. I am hoping that this nickname will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Much in the same way that I repeat over and over again "You are a happy baby" as you scream for hours and I walk you around the room. I am hoping one day you will think, "Hey, I am a happy baby. I really should stop crying." And then you will. I hope. Please God.



Your siblings all love you and still fight over the chance to hold you. They shower you with love and kisses, sometimes a bit too much. Not sure why you look so frightened of your sister kissing you.

You love to sit in your vibrating bouncy chair during the day. It has proven to be worth it's weight in the number of batteries it burns through on a daily basis. I have found myself stealing AA batteries out of your siblings toys in desperation. But their toys are annoying, and your seat is so so wonderful.

You will tolerate being carried around in the sling if I keep in constant motion. Which would be fine if I didn't feel like standing still, sitting down, or using the toilet occasionally.

Your reflux is doing much better now that you are taking medication and I have cut almost everything out of my diet. Soon I will be grazing out in the yard. Okay, not really, but it does seem that way some days. And the frightening spells of apnea that were caused by your reflux have all but disappeared (knocking on wood). Your incessant crying and overall irritableness have improved as I eliminated foods from diet as well. I have been through this with several of your siblings, so it isn't much of a surprise.

You sleep in bed with us at night. You like to be right on top of my body or else nestled into the crook of my arm nursing. And, despite the fact that I wake up with a stiff neck and sore shoulders every morning, I love it. I love having your tiny head right near my face and breathing in your brand new baby scent. I love how you contentedly sigh as you nurse.

Since you will be our last baby, I find myself viewing all the "firsts" with a bit of melancholy. I know how fast babies grow up and I wish I could slow down the process. You have outgrown the newborn sized diapers and when I put the outfit on you yesterday that you came home from the hospital in, it was too small. In this past month you have lost your umbilical cord and had your first bath. You celebrated your first Christmas and your first New Years. Your fuzzy dark hair is slowly falling out and your hairline is beginning to resemble your fathers, though I am sure that unlike his, yours will grow back.

As much as I try to fight it, soon these early days will just be a hazy memory. And I will look at you, like I do your siblings, and wonder why a lifetime passes so quickly.



16 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I can't believe he is a month old already! Time flies when you're having fun, huh? :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger chel said...

Absolutely, beautifully put. Thank you for sharing that with us.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Awwww! How sweet!

1:52 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:41 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

I linked to you from another blog...
How beautifully written. You should print that and put it in his baby book.
My daughter was a crier. She had to be in my arms 24/7. My friends and family all thought I should feel agitated and bothered. I felt blessed. I was able to spend more time with her and always have an excuse to have her in my arms.
Wishing you sunny days.
http://seeking-serenity.blogspot.com/

(Sorry for posting my comments twice. I forgot to post my link and do a spell check!)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Eloquently said, as usual!

I'm glad his apnea is better. I've been meaning to ask. Sounds scarier than croup!

Our friends live in North Hartford. How far is that from you?

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One Day Diet

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One Day Diet - The Quickest Way to Lose Weight

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I've created a new resource for 1000 popular baby name you can with lots of information and links related to 1000 popular baby name
Now I've finished I thought I look around for other 1000 popular baby name sites and see what everyone else is talking about, you know get ome more 1000 popular baby name ideas etc...
This blog looks pretty good, though I'm not sure my 1000 popular baby name site will get this many visitors - ah well, can only but try ;)
If you have a spare moment please visit my 1000 popular baby name site and let me know what you think, I'll check back here again later.

Bye
Steward

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site Chris, I found to be interesting. When I was searching for Baby Indian Name yours was the most eye catching. While working on my site Baby Indian Name I have been looking for ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site Chris, I found to be interesting. When I was searching for Baby Bracelet Name yours was the most eye catching. While working on my site Baby Bracelet Name I have been looking for ways to make it better and found yours to be helpful. Thanks!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a travel blogs site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toys r us baby registy site.
Have a great week!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my trade video games site.
Have a great day!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a traditional kids summer camps site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my toys baby site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home