notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Well, That Changes Everything

Yesterday I was driving in the car to my dentist appointment to have my stitches removed. During this past week, I have become quite adept at cutting my foods into tiny pieces and chewing with only my front teeth. I had thought that only being able to eat soft foods would help me to lose those last few pounds this week, but no. What I found instead is that I eat even more soft foods that "normal" foods because there isn't the chewing factor. I have decided that I am relatively thin because I am just inherently lazy.

The dentist is about an hour and a half drive from my house. They are located in a town I grew up in. It was a nice place to grow up, though I can hardly recognize it anymore. The conspicuous consumption and ostentatious displays of wealth make me ill. And prove that money doesn't buy good taste. And driving in the little car on I-95 surrounded by huge SUVs, frightens me. I feel like I am in a go-cart with my ass dragging on the pavement. I sit, gripping the steering wheel with my white knuckles, telepathically willing all the other vehicles to stay in the respective lanes. And silently cursing all the people clogging up my highway.

So yesterday, I was absent mindedly listening to the radio when from the backseat I heard my two yr old singing along to the radio. It was the old Bob Marley song, Jammin'.

A song that would ordinarily prompt me to jam ice picks into my ear drums rather than suffer through it.

But, as I have already established, my life is not about me anymore.

My daughter was singing "jammin, jammin, jammin, jammin"

And it was cute, but the song was still annoying. Irritating, overplayed, and annoying.

I looked in the rear view mirror and she was dancing in her carseat, still singing, "jammin, jammin, jammin..."

Then Bob Marley sang: We're jammin', we're jammin, I hope you like jammin' too"

My daughter raised her arms over her head, and screamed, "YES. I LIKE PEANUT BUTTER AND JAMMIN"

My hatred for that song lessened just a tiny bit.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karan Simpson said...

Marley, PB, and jammin... I can picture it all! That is so precious!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

What a cutie. I would have been laughing hysterically. I would not have been able to keep a straight face looking back at her.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Oh my god, what a great punchline! That's hilarious!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Julie Brooks Barbour said...

That is great!!!! Your two year old is already a comedian. :)

You know, I couldn't stand Caillou or Dora until my daughter fell in love with them. I guess I can keep up my dislike of things outside her knowledge until she becomes aware of them, too.

3:16 PM  
Blogger HikingStick said...

Ahh...they could have been repeating other lyrics...consider yourself fortunate.

I still remember the shock over the lyrics our kids picked up on the school bus (from the bus driver)...

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home