notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Taking A Vote

Today I was upstairs in our attic going through some packing boxes that we haven't unpacked yet. Yes, I know I have lived in this house for over two years, what is your point?

I was looking for a vintage 1950 era fan that we have and I thought would be perfect on our sunporch, as well as looking through some old fabric I have to see if I could find any to make some throw pillows for our wicker chairs. I just sewed new seat cushions for the chairs out of a blue and white ticking

I came across an old skirt. I remember buying it 13 years ago (God, I am old) at the Goodwill store because I liked the fabric and thought I could turn it into something else, like throw pillows. But today I was looking at it and I thought, hey why not just wear it, as the skirt it was intended to be. It is a wrap around skirt, just below knee length. It reminds me of some fabric I have from France, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wear that one as a skirt.

I put it on today to test it out, but I'm not sure. I am no fashion maven. As a general rule I try not to wear things that can also double as home accessories and upholstery. I'm pretty positive that horizontal stripes are not a good thing on anyone.

So now I have a poll. Look at the picture of the skirt and then select one of the following:

1) Nice skirt, you should wear it out in public proudly.

2) It's okay, but better just wear it at home.

3) It would be better as throw pillows.

4) I wouldn't be caught dead in that.

5) My grandmother has curtains that look just like it!

6) Oh my God, it is hideous don't wear it, don't turn it into throw pillows, in fact, just burn the fabric right now.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it!
I used to have one like it years ago and now those type skirts have become popular again.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd wear it if you like it. I think it looks like a skirt. :) I think it looks good on you. And I agree with the others about your waist.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to go with number 1. That skirt is nice!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Dollymama said...

My comment is:
How the HECK do you manage to be that thin?

Hey, chickie--with that waistline you shaould wear anything you want.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Perri said...

If it were mine, it would be a pillow cover becuase there is no way it would fit me. But since it is yours, I say wear it - then when you are so sick of it you can't stand it, make it into a pillow.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I think I have the same skirt .... except mine is an XXL ! If you decide to go with the pillows let me know. I would be happy to donate it.

12:14 AM  
Blogger elzie said...

It (the pic) is a bit dark - but it looks fine! Funky - 70's/mexican fiesta! I especially love the baby leg/toes belt ;-)

12:45 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

#7 - Anything that fits SOMEONE SO SKINNY! Seriously, your little man is Sophia's age and I don't see the same (ahem) rubber tire around your middle that I've got.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hate to sound like a broken record but OMG! you should not be allowed to look that good. Thin, my GOD! I say #1. Wear it and be proud.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Me said...

My Vote:

I like it as a skirt, but it would look best as throw pillows.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...um...I totally love the skirt...but...I had trouble getting passed the first paragraph where you said "you sew!"

Crud!

And check you (and all your slimness) out! Damn, I wish I could hate you...but...well, you know ;o)

9:28 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Look Chris, all these commenters are trying to usurp my spot. I was the first to say you were skinny : )

No, but seriously, I actually think the skirt is totally cute, and totally hip. If you look at Banana Republic, Gap, J Crew, any of those, loose skirts to just below the knee or longer in funky fabrics are totally in style. You can probably only wear it this summer, but it is totally fitting with the hippie scrunched skirt theme.

I say #1!

9:50 AM  
Blogger impromptu-mom said...

I say wear it! I just bought a skirt that looks exactly the same. That vintage, flowy, hippie look is back in for the summer. And by the way, the fact that you can pull out a piece of clothing stored away 13 years and 7 babies ago, toss it on and look so great makes me want to throw a parade in your honor. What is your secret?

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

I say #1. That style is back in now. You could where a layered cami with it and it would be very cute.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

To me the picture is a bit dark for me to really judge the fabric, but the style appears to be back in this summer.

If you like it wear it and when your done make it into pillows.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number one. I have a skirt just like it;-)

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your just bragging lol. I have had 7 kid but it shows. You look great. I would look like a spud sack in it assuming I could get it over my thighs in the first place.....
Ruth

12:48 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

#1. I like it! The horizontal stripes wouldn't look good on me, but it looks good on you!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I agree with most of the other responses: that style is "in" so you would be fine in it, and you definitely have nothing to worry about regarding the horizontal stripes, you look fantastic. That skirt might cover ONE of my thighs LOL.
It also would make great pillows, so I think you should wear it for the summer and when you get sick of it, make it into pillows.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Wow guys, nothing like getting a bunch of nice compliments. Thank you. I think it is a very forgiving skirt though.

I'm going to wear the skirt and if people point and stare it will be all your fault ;-)

2:53 PM  
Blogger owensdad said...

i agree with gretchen - wear it with some sandals and a nice white cotton blouse and make pillows after labor day :-)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Very cute! I say wear it!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Very French and fashionable--yet modest--I vote #1. And, why shouldn't mothers of many children have thin waists? I'm going out for a nice power walk!

8:18 PM  
Blogger The Nurtured Empath said...

I say wear it!! it looks very comfy and nice and breezy...perfect!
Ditto with the sandals, and maybe a peasant type top?!?! Styles are always different from one place to another.
Blessings!!
Penny
www.mama2fiveblessings.blogspot.com

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wear it!!! You look great!!
Amber
mommy to
Christian 12/1/99
Cameron 6/14/00-6/14/00
Camden 7/20/01
Collin 9/30/04

11:02 AM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Wear it!

(sorry I'm late)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Great skirt! I pick #1. Wear it with pride.
I'd love to have a skirt like that and the waist to go with it. I think my waist disappeared when I had #3. He was worth it though.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home