notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Top Five Signs That Spring Is Here To Stay and Why I am Thankful

5) The daffodils have bloomed, the trees have buds, and allergy medication has been bought. And I am thankful for extra soft tissues with lotion.

4) The black flies are out and swarm you as soon as you walk outside. These black flies laugh at deet or any other insect repellent. (Rob tells me that they are not called "black flies", but they are black and they fly and everyone other than Rob calls them black flies, not by their Latin name, Flyus Blackatum.) But I am thankful they prefer to bite my husband and my children run around so darn fast even the flies can't keep up.

3) The winter clothes have been washed, folded, packed away, rifled through, worn, washed and packed away for the last time this season. And I am thankful that more summer clothes fit in the washing machine per load, theoretically reducing the amount of times I need to run the washing machine.

2) The mud. that. is. everywhere. outside. and. now. inside. too. Making me thankful that I have shunned carpeting.

1) I have torn down the plastic sheeting and duct tape that covered the windows in our family room, and while I will miss that classy look, I am thankful that warm weather means we can stop selling our plasma to pay for heating oil.

Just call me Little Miss Sunshine, always looking at the bright side while drinking out of my half full wine glass.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you lucky ducks! I guess it wouldn't help to know that we completely and totally missed Winter (except for a brief snowstorm in November) this year. Course it wasnt' warm enough to snorkel EVERY day in Baja and now it is blistering hot in the middle of summer, but I'm not guessing you're all *that* sympathetic... :)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny but the cooling bill is what gets us here in North Carolina.
When it hits 80 outside with the humidity we have to turn on the AC.

I have been reading your archives and I am very impressed with the renovations you guys have done.
There is a show on HGTV called "Generation Renovation" that you could be on!

:)
Mary

11:14 AM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

I've been working so unable to visit blogs for a while but I just read yours for the past week and OH MY GOSH GIRL YOU IS SO FUNNY. funny funny funny. funny funny. FUNNY!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Chris, I laugh all the time at how similar our lives are. Its kinda scary! But mostly makes me feel better, in a sadistic kind of way!
;-)))
Audrey

9:45 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

yes, spring is here too. Although the headcold I have from helping kids ride new bikes in the cold rain doesn't remember that.

Summer is coming, too, so the children will be at camp during greenhead fly season. ugh.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The latin name that is associated with the Black Fly, Turkey Gnat, or Buffallo Gnat is actually Simuliidae but I loved your improvised "Flyus Blackatum" OMGROFL.. Lovved ittt!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

How strange to read this. Our daffodils bloomed back in february. I forget it's not almsot summer everywhere! LOl

1:01 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

For me #2 negates #3. I swear I run more baths and loads of laundry in the summer. But Happy Spring to you too!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home