notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Can't Live With Them, Can't Sell Them On Ebay

Rob brought home a cake last night for my birthday. It was lovely. The children said it tasted exactly like those ho-hos we had last week, which I can only assume was meant as the highest compliment.

And really you couldn't tell that it was three days past it's expiration date unless you noticed the huge red sticker that said CLEARANCE HALF PRICE. But it's my birthday, and I'm worth it. Generally speaking, it is my policy not to buy or eat food that is on clearance, for obvious reasons. But, hey, I can live dangerously one day a year.

That and the fact that Rob had to stop at two grocery stores to find this sorry neglected cake. It was either this cake or nothing. While I could have lived without the cake, the children would have been disappointed.

Rob bought me a number 3 and 6 for my cake, in case I had forgotten how old I was. This caused my 7 yr old to say, "Hey, I thought you said you were 25?" And my 6 yr old to answer, "No, she is 63, can't you read the numbers?"

After blowing out the candles on my cake, I was asked what I wished for. I thought for a minute and then said, "I wished my children would clean out the van."

I looked around the table at them, and most of them looked depressed with the knowledge that they'd have to do it now, just to be nice. Well, except for my 4 yr old who wanted to know if that meant he could use the hose. That would be, no.

Suddenly my 7yr old piped up, "Well, too bad you told us. Now it won't come true!"

And they all laughed and breathed a collective sigh of relief. Because everyone knows you can't tell your wish.


********************************************

My 6 yr old just got out of the shower and I point out his left leg, still caked in dirt from the knee down.

"Oh, I must have forgotten to wash that part"

Alrighty then.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

Happy birthday to you!!!! Stale cake and all!!

I do not like chocolate cake. Give me a white cake with buttercream frosting, and I am in HEAVEN. So, with this information on hand, it eludes me as to why my husband brings home a chocolate cake of some sort for each birthday I experience. Go figure.

Again, happy birthday!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

My kid will look the same way after taking a shower- or he still has soap in half his hair and the other half is bone dry. Sometimes all three. How does he do it?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh dear about the van... I would like mine cleaned out too. And I'm LMAO at the kids' comments about your age. Of course you're 25!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday (you young whippersnapper)!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Okgirl Speaks said...

Happy Birthday! That was hilarious about you making your wish out loud, and the kids calling you on it. That reminds me of something my kids would have done/would do. HA!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you and have a great Mother's Day!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Karan Simpson said...

Hope your birthday was the happiest yet! Happy Mother's Day!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Angelize said...

I really enjoy your blog. My son runs all the hot water out of the shower before he washes his hair. I have had to use the "sniffing" technique and end up sending him in for a second shower on more than one occasion. Boys can be odd creatures I think. Congrats on the birthday!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

You've gotta just take charge--I have ordered myself a lovely and decadent cake before, and then informed my dh where to pick it up! He muttered something in a chagrined voice about, "I was gonna..." but we both know the truth! Honestly, I wasn't trying to make him fool bad, but I'm a foodie and I wanted a GOOD cake.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Happy Birthday! You're not getting older...you're getting funnier!

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell baby shower. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home