notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 18, 2005

How To Start The Day With Real Jedi Action in 21 Easy Steps

1) Go to grocery store to pick up a few things

2) Spot boxes of specially marked cereal that contain the Star Wars light saber spoons the children have wanted since Darren wrote about them

3) Decide that everyone needs a spoon of their own

4) Mentally calculate how much 6 boxes of cereal will cost

5) Recheck math using pen and paper

6) Stare at paper in disbelief

7) Picture how happy children will be the new spoons

5) Calculate how much 6 boxes of cereal will cost, plus two boxes of the Star Wars cereal (that is really just Lucky Charms), because wouldn't it be so much fun to eat Star Wars cereal with the light saber spoons?

6) Decide to buy 7 boxes of the cereal that has the light saber spoons, because I don't have the mental fortitude to withstand the fury that will ensue if one of the spoons doesn't work

7) Realize with horror that there are only 4 boxes of cereal left on the shelf which contain the light saber spoon

8) Walk around store looking for misplaced boxes of cereal and contemplating going to other area grocery stores

9) Decide that taking boxes of specially marked cereal out of someone else's cart wouldn't be stealing since it still belongs to the store

10) Finally spot an end cap of cereal and after pushing aside all the boxes offering a Robot toy discover the mother lode

11) Dutifully hand over husband's paycheck in exchange for over-priced, over-sugared cereal

12) Smile at mother behind me in grocery store line who I can tell feels smugly superior to me since my cart contains 9 huge boxes of cereal and hers is filled with organic healthy foods

13) Let my 5 and almost 2 yr olds (the only kids I had with me) pick out candy from the check-out aisle just to see the look on this woman's face

14) Laugh and imagine her telling this story later to her friends

15) Go home and show children the specially marked boxes of cereal

16) I am proclaimed the best mother in the world and there is much screaming, jumping, shoving and grabbing for boxes

17) Forced to tell husband to calm down there is no spoon for him

18) Open all the boxes of cereal to retrieve the spoons

19) Discover one of the spoons doesn't work

20) Praise my obvious psychic abilities

21) Eat every meal since in a darkened room so that the light effect of the spoons can be fully enjoyed

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

20 Comments:

Blogger The Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady said...

Hey! You're giving the rest of us mothers a bad name!!

(Looks like fun, though!)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

I resisted the urge to do this for my four kids last week, because I knew I wanted the cool Jedi spoons far more than the kids did. I am SOOO going back to the store this week.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

That is fantastic!. I just rented Episode II from Netflix last weekend, and your picture looks just like the Jedi school scene.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

What GOYL said. Thankfully, my 7-month-old doesn't read this particular blog ;)

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the best mom!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh, those are so awesome! How did I miss that at the grocery store this morning?

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This was a fun post by one terrific mom...you rock!"

She whispers as to not attract the attention of her four little wannabe-Jedi Knights!!

(Liz @ This Full House)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Laurel said...

Can I come live at your house?

8:09 PM  
Blogger elzie said...

Tears running down my cheek - so funny! I totally veered my kids AWAY from seeing those! We have the LOTR light up burger king glasses and I split my sides seeing you all eating in the dark - as we have been there done that!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Love it!

I came home from Ft. Worth to find my two oldest kids eating in the dark with Jedi spoons, too. All credit goes to their wonderful dad who bought numerous boxes of Apple Jacks to accomplish this! Very fun!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kristal said...

What a great post!

If I had a quarter for every time I've done the mental math...

9:22 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

You inspired me, but being intrinsically cheap I only bought 2 boxes. Thankfully, both spoons work. Since we eat breakfast in 3 shifts of 2 kids each, we'll get by with 2.

Thanks for spreading the word--I didn't know such things were available!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We go through 3 boxes a week, and so ALL my kids wanted frosted flakes and corn pops last week... after 2 weeks of LOTS of cereal, my daughter was kind enough to give me her second spoon. Where are all the blue and green ones? We have 5 red ones.... which is OK, 'cause I get to do my Vader, "I am your father" line...

12:40 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Rick,
The one spoon we got that didn't work was green. The kids want to send it back to Kelloggs and complain.

Glad everyone is having as much fun at meal time as us!

1:34 PM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

ohmygosh, this is awesome.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Sorka said...

of course my three year old walked into the room just as I scrolled down to the picture with the spoons. "what are those? Those are empire spoons. where are our empire spoons?"

Oh boy
I'm doomed I must go back to the picture of the spoons now!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Ok, we got suckered in, too. I wasn't going to give in, but hey, if YOU did, then it's ok for us to LOL. I only bought 5 boxes, and luckily they all worked. All were red, too, which caused some disappointment. You were smart to buy the extra box, in case one didn't work; but you didn't mention buying an extra for the one that gets lost 10 minutes after being assembled! We are already down to 4 spoons.

By the way, dh is the only one who eats Frosted Flakes, he's going to be eating them a loooong time LOL

9:30 AM  
Blogger Pam @ The Blue Between said...

LOL, it is only because of you we have sugar coated cereal in our house right now (though DH is the only one eating it).

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have seven red spoons so far! I wonder if K would tell us how many of each color there are...

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following choes Blog, it is cool to!

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home