notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The Boy Who Cried Bear

My 4 yr old is going through a stage where he likes to tell stories, fantastic, unbelievable stories. Which is a nice way of saying he lies, constantly. He doesn't lie to get out of trouble, or to get anyone else into trouble, it is mostly wishful thinking and an over active imagination.

And mostly I just ignore it.

So when he came running in the house from playing outside screaming that there was a bear in the driveway right next to him, I did what any good mother would do. I looked up from my laptop, smiled at him, and said, 'That's nice, dear.' We live in a town,with lots of neighbors, not in bear country.

And when he screamed, 'I'm going back outside to play with the bear. I love bears.' Well, again I did what any good mother would do and said, 'Have fun, dear.'

And as he slammed the front door shut on his way back out, my eldest son yelled, 'There really is a bear. A big black bear. It's right outside the window eating all the bird food.'

And then time stood still for a minute. Do I save my son from the bear who might swallow him or do I grab my camera? This parenting thing is full of such tough choices.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Not to worry, I did both. Which is why I got such a crappy picture of the bear.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Much like the time my 6 year old, professional story-teller, told me there was a racoon in the backyard - in the middle of the day. "yes dear. now go back outside."

Only to hear my 8 year old come in and ask why a nocturnal animal would be out during the day. hmmmm.

Rabid racoon in my backyard!!!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

LOLOL!!

Between the weasel and the bear, you have quite a little zoo going there at the Big Yellow House!!

Dr Doolittle, have fun talking to the animals today!!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger chel said...

Sounds familiar, lol. I called my kiddos in for dinner and told they neighbor boys they'd have to go home for now. But the little stinkers just wouldn't listen. So after the 3rd time I looked out our side window to make sure they were going only to watch a big black bear strolling into their yard. I went flying out the front door "COME BACK, COME BACK!" I must have looked like a lunatic

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived with black bear in the neighborhood(s) before kids - NOW though, I would be concerned. Did you call - whomever one calls (fish and game? lol)

My lil' guy was learning to ride his bike and crashed into the bushes - I had been taking pictures, and um... I admit to quickly taking the one of his fall and then of course helping him out!
He was not hurt, and I did know that :-) Really!

biz

6:17 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

The only person I called was my husband! LOL

I guess there was an article and photos in our local paper. If I hadn't quit working for the paper I would have known there was a bear traipsing around town.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! Um, yikes! So has the bear been caught or moved on?

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home