notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 15, 2005

An Ass By Any Other Name...

This happened a few years ago. My son, who was 4 at the time, was sitting alone with my husband on the couch. He looked up at him and said, "Daddy, what is a jackass?"

Rob thought for a moment and said, "A jackass is another word for a donkey."

My son thought for a moment and said, "That's funny."

Rob,"You think jackass is a funny word?"

Son, "No, I think it is funny that Mommy called you a donkey."


****

And I do use the word ass in all it's variations frequently, it is an all purpose word, a synonym for many other words. I use it almost as a term of endearment at times.

Rob came home from work a few days ago and told me that he was chatting with a coworker of his and they began talking about their respective children. She complained to Rob that her child was very "sassy" lately. (As a side note I have discovered that I really enjoy this word "sassy" for it's alliterative qualities and have been using it at every opportunity. But you can't just say it. You have to draw out the "s" sound and toss your head while you say it. Ssssssss-assy.)

And in the spirit of commiserating he said, 'Mine can be too sometimes. Does your daughter call you an ass?'

And from the look on her face, and the fact that he had to revive her with smelling salts, he took the answer to be a no. I guess sassy is a subjective sort of thing.

My children don't go around swearing, but they do recognize an ass when they see one. And they are not afraid to tell it like it is.

Someone throwing garbage out of their car window... Look at that ass!
Someone acting like a know-it-all... What an ass!
Someone sending you to time-out in your room without listening fully to your side of the story... Big fat ass!

What? Did you call me fat?
That's it, you sassy young fellow, you are so in trouble now. Get your sassy self upstairs.

See, I have my limits on sassy-ness too...

What? Did you just call me a sass-hole? Because that is funny.

4 Comments:

Blogger ADish said...

BWA-HA-HA!!!

I try not to swear around the kids, but it's just way too conveniently applicable (yes, I have been hitting the ole www.m-w.com a little hard lately. Why?).

Hilarious!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh THANK YOU for the laugh. My family is on the phone attempting to have me committed but you know what? The giggle was soooo worth it ;o)

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was too good! What an ass of a laugh I had! Not meaning to "crack" a joke but this word can explain many things in life- every day!

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great information, I am sure lots of people will find it useful. How did you come up with the idea for this blog it is really cool.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home