notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 06, 2004

In Which I Accept My BMY Award *

The tooth fairy has forgotten to come and take my sons tooth for four nights now.

This isn't the first time she has forgotten. Last summer she was apparently on vacation on Block Island, we heard the rumor from some friends who were also vacationing there ;-), and my son ended up waiting over a week for her to come and take his tooth. She did leave him quite a bit of money and a sparkly note, but still...

I had thought my 10 yr old didn't believe in the tooth fairy anymore, but I guess when there is money involved it is very easy to hide those nagging doubts.

Today my son told me that he *knows* there really is a tooth fairy now. And just how does he know this for certain? Because I, his mother, would never forget and disappoint him so.

Oh just twist the knife a little deeper into my heart.



(*Bad Mother of the Year)

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I failed as the tooth fairy last week. Both my 10 yo and 6 yo lost teeth on the same day and I forgot for two days. I then snuck up and put the money near their pillows while they ate breakfast. They didn't notice it at all when they went upstairs to play. I finally said what's that on your bed? 6 yo thought it was money he left there and 10 yo said oh you finally remembered to give us tooth fairy money! I have failed so many times that they gave up believing!!!!!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

This must be a trend. I, too, lapsed in my duty as the tooth fairy. However, my son failed to tell me that he FINALLY decided to put his two front teeth under his pillow. Hubs & I went Christmas shopping Saturday night, and my dad came down to put the kids to bed. My son told grandpa that the tooth fairy never came Friday night & that he'd better get to sleep faster this time (Saturday). My dad never told me, and my mom called Sunday to see if I'd done it yet. RME. Hubs ended up feigning surprise at the teeth under the pillow Sunday night, and explained to a rather skeptical child that the tooth fairy has weekends off too.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

OOOHHH That's quite the wise 10 year old you have there.LOL. We have probably about or 4 or 5 night record of forgetting here. Yep did the special note and extra money the first time. But after that, just kept saying she must be reaaaaaaaalllll busy.LOL.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Isn't this what older brothers and sisters are for? ;~)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

At least they keep up the pretense of belief. My 6yo lost her front tooth a couple weeks ago. She came to me with my wallet and said" I'll have my money now." Obviously the days of childish wonder are over here.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Annalise said...

Oh, I have a related Bad Parent story to share :-)

We had a tooth mouse in our family, rather than a tooth fairy. One time the mouse didn't arrive night after night, and I think we plumbed new parenting depths when Bobby told Sophie that he thought the cat had probably got it. I had to write a long note in mousy squiggly writing to put that right.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

I am glad to know I am not alone in this, and will happily share my award with each you :-)

Annalise, I am thinking maybe Bobby could have an extra large share of the prize though ;-) That was too funny.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Add me to the club, too, please. We almost never remember the first night the tooth is under the pillow, and several times it's been a week or more, and the child has left notes as well, begging the tooth fairy to come. Why is it so hard to remember??

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home