notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Dilation, Effacement, Inductions... Oh My

Today I had my ob appointment and first internal with the Group B Strep test... oh fun!

The baby is at -2 and I am 2cm and 50% effaced. This scares me slightly. In all my other pregnancies I have never even been 1cm before going into labor, either naturally or induction, and not one of them took longer than 30 minutes from 3cm to baby in my arms. We live 1.5 hours from the hospital and Rob's office is one hour away from our house.

I may just end up giving birth like my friend Karen under a tree, though mine would have to be of the indoor variety this time of year, and luckily I do have the Christmas tree ;-) Or at least I will have the Christmas tree this weekend. Karen did offer to come build me a nice cozy igloo to birth in, but there just isn't quite enough snow yet for that. Aw shucks ;-)

And the new hospital policy is no elective inductions before 39+ weeks, I suppose in this climate of malpractice insurance mayhem it is to be expected. I know lots (most?) people don't like to be induced, but I have found my induced labors to be much easier and more manageable. But given that I haven't ever made it that far in a pregnancy, it seems as though an induction isn't going to happen this time. As I was typing this the nurse just called to ask me if I was interested in scheduling an induction for December 28th. I laughed and told her I have never even made it to my due date before and I certainly had no plans of going overdue this time.

Oh well, I am going to try not to worry about things over which I have no control.

I'm not ready to have this baby yet, still have a few small projects to finish around the house, curtains to sew, and a Christmas tree to chop down and decorate. Oh and a nasty cold to get over.



Here is a photo taken today by my 7 yr old. This past weekend when I was out shopping I had a couple of children staring at my stomach in disbelief. Proportionally to my body my belly is huge and sticks straight out, from the back you can't even tell I am pregnant. Sounds like another boy, huh?

5 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Oh my is right! EEK what are you going to do? Is there anywhere closer to deliver? But you never know, I walked around at 4cm until a week past my due date. Lucky you have such short labors! And you look fabulous! Put your face in the picture next time!

Good luck--we'll be reading your birth story very soon, I'm sure!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

It's funny Chris for the first time ever last pregnancy I was 4cms 2.5 weeks before my due date. A week later I went in feeling a bit crampy and having some show and I was 6cms so my doctor sent me over and broke my water. She came about 5 hours later. Thing is I would never be dialted early with any of the other ones. Now here I am on number 8 and was expecting dialation because of last time and I'm still a 1.

But I sure understand your anxiety based on your history. Maybe your doctor will consider and exception to the policy. I mean it can't be good to leave a woman to birth under her Christmas tree, unless that's what she wants:-)!!!!LOL

I also would like to know how you have no visible stretch marks on that tummy. I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I have to say...for the first time in my life I have an undeniable urge to give an acutal belly rub! It's just too cute! ;o) Of course I can't get too gaga over it since the rest of you has left me green with envy!

I say shoot for the Christmas Tree birth and set up the webcam. May as well invite us all to visit for a week or so until you actually give birth! That way you'll have LOTS of help. LOL

9:50 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

oooh - gorgeous belly!

and I carried that way with my girls, so you never know. :)

I think you should invite karen over to help you with the xmas tree birth. :) in the meantime, I wonder if your baby will be born at the same hospital as Amelia was born at, although she was born in the birth center there - St. mary's in W....

can you get someone to drive you to the hospital and have Rob meet you there?

9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I say boy, because you look exactly like I did at that stage. Hope everything goes well but you gotta admit, giving birth under the christmas tree (or in the plantation while getting the christmas tree) would amke for an awesome story. Goodluck, everything will go perfectly. And hope you feel better soon too.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home