notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 17, 2004

True Love

Tonight I put the kids to bed, got myself a snack, and sat down on the couch with my laptop. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something. I was pretty sure it was a mouse, but since I didn't get a good look at it I was still able to convince myself it was something else... a toy, a ball, a shadow.

It doesn't really matter to me that those things cannot move all on their own accord. I'd rather live in the Poltergeist house than have to deal with a mouse.

But then the damn mouse had to run back across the room and I actually saw him. My fantasy was ruined.

And so I screamed.

I know I have mentioned my wimpiness before here. Yes, I am the sort of mother who would jump over her child while fleeing a room with a flying rodent. But, in my defense my husband was right there and I really thought he was a more able-bodied hero than I. Honestly. No really, I did think that as I vaulted furniture and jumped over her small head screaming. That's the story I am sticking to.

But back to my blood curdling scream. My 8 yr old son came running downstairs to see what was the matter. Did I mention that he is my favorite son?

When I told him I had seen a mouse he sprang into action. He gathered up mouse traps and baited them with me. He even promised to get up early in the morning and dispose of the traps for me, providing that I give him rubber gloves, a face mask, and some tongs. What for you ask? I asked too.

To protect him from the deadly diseases and germs that the mouse might be carrying, of course. I guess I may have gone a bit overboard while explaining to my children why we couldn't just let the mice live in our house like pets.

My heart about melted.

I looked at him and thought, this is my reward for all the wet toilet seats, potty humor, burping contests, dirt, and enough energy to power a small third world country.

I have heard that boys go and marry girls like their mothers. I hope mine don't. They deserve so much better.

And then I told my son that I didn't know if I had rubber gloves or a face mask, and that I didn't really want to use my nice salad tongs to pick up dead mice. He looked me right in the eye and in a very serious voice said, 'Then you'll have to get rid of them yourself.'

Did I mention I am in the market for a new favorite son?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I'm doing something wrong. I have recently removed a bird from the new addition and just last night proved that tarantulas do live in IN. (It was very big and hairy.) Dh is of no use in these situations. DS did bring me coffee this morning though. He knows what I really want!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I need to steel myself for this. Next week my dh will be out of town, and the past 2 years we have had several dozen mice enter our very old house at this time of year--took several weeks of trapping to get them all. I do have a 12yo ds who will help me.

I have also battled a bat while dh was out of town, and assisted him in removing a possum from the basement!

Get ready--where there is one mouse there are many!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home