notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

This, That, and the Other

This morning I woke up and it was snowing. Snowing.

Last week it was almost 70 degrees; the flowers and plants were poking up through the dirt. We had our first flower tragedy when my 15 mos old came over to the purple crocus we were all crouching over in admiration and promptly stomped upon it. And my yelling just caused him to giggle and march up on down upon the poor flower with both feet.

But today it is snowing.

And we have our first baseball practice of the season. The never ending little league season. This year I have three kids on three different teams, with three different practice schedules, three different game schedules, and three different locations for all these things. And there is still just one of me.

On top of it, I still have sick kids. Whatever virus or flu they have contracted has a really long incubation period and takes several days to recover from once they show symptoms. I consulted Dr Google this morning and they either have the flu, meningitis, or African sleeping sickness. After I freaked out and caused myself all the mental anguish I could muster, I realized that four of the kids have already gotten sick and recovered just fine so there is no reason to believe that whatever they have is fatal.

Also, the children haven't been to Africa, in, well... ever.

I haven't gotten ill yet. knock on wood. And I hope to keep it that way. This morning I walked around with my spray can on Lysol, spraying it's germ killing goodness on every surface my children have even looked at over the past week. I did stop short of spraying them with it, though just barely.

I will now be donning my respirator mask, hazmat suit, and rubber gloves, which will make typing a bit more difficult. But should have the benefits of keeping me warm at the baseball field and keeping all the people, who would like nothing more than to infect me with their germs, away from me.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baseball

How can you love and hate something all at the same time?

I only have two but they are on three different teams.

woohoo.

The games are great...what I can see of them while chasing the little ones or digging for one more quarter in my purse.

We probably spend enough at the snackbars to support the entire team.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! We're doing the same thing here and it is so tempting not to spray the little buggers with Lysol, it really is. Or to run screaming down the street. Both have been a major temptation this week.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Oh, boy, that was us last week - so sorry! Hope the troops rally soon...

1:22 PM  
Blogger T said...

Yep, snowing here too. Snow. At least it's not staying on the ground...Yet.

Why is it when kids get sick they still want to run around when we want them to lay down and when we get sick all we want to do is lay down and we can't?

Hope you don't get their cooties!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Fieldfleur said...

so sorry for the snow and the sickness and the sports. glad for your fancy safety get-up though!

hope everyone gets healthy,
Teri

1:29 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

How do you handle all the practices and games? Do you take all the kids?? I can't even imagine...

1:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

First, the snow. Oy vey. They are calling for it here as well. I am so not happy about it!

Second, after having a house of sick kids, now *I* am the one who is sick. I thought maybe they were overacting the aches, pains, and sneezes/runny nose. Now I am eating my words. I feel like hell!

I am so glad I'm not dealing with sports (yet). I remember my poor mom having to be in 5 spots at once. It's a wonder her hair didn't turn grey faster.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Me said...

*Snow*
That's a dirty word.




As for the schedule... yep, I hear ya.

I remember the first time that I had all three kids on three different soccer teams, three different schedules and three different locations. And sure enough at one point I had to be at three different fields in three parts of the city at the EXACT same time. Obviously I lived through it, and you will too. I promise. LOL.

(Unfortunately you are just entering the phase that won't end for about 15 years..... the good news is that you get 'used' to it and only 4-6 things scheduled at the same time will scare you.)

Deep breath.... and SMILE! (hee hee hee).

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Yikes on the snow! It that what they call a "sugar snow" this late?

On baseball...Are we living the same life in a different time zone? I have 3 boys in baseball this year, each with a different practice, and different locations for games. Tonight I must split down the middle and be at two places, 15 miles apart, at the same time. I will try and post pictures of this feat. ;*) Dinner is no longer an option...cereal anyone? Or better yet, popcorn, candy and pickles?

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang it, I was going to guess the African virus one. I guess Lysoling them is not a good idea, it might say something about that on the can. Sorry you have sick kids.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ah the multiple kid, multiple team shuttle. I'm sure some think I'm an awful parent since I shove the olders out to play on their own so I can go to the littles games. I figure if they get beaned with a ball they need me more. Also the coaches are much more understanding if a two year old wanders onto the field.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

A few weeks ago, I self-diagnosed my 8-year old with viral or bacterial meningitis and then fretted about whether he'd lose his limbs in ICU. Then I snapped out of it and realized it was the flu.

That was two weeks of my life I'll never get back again. We all took turns getting very sick. Fun.

Also, my youngest child always picks the first crocus of the season as we all go "NOOOOOO!"

And, once when I lived in Michigan, it snowed on May 1st. That's just wrong.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have one little tacker in baseball, he has just moved up from t-ball and went to his first training session last night. Poor kid got hit by the ball about four times but he survived.
Snow, wow, how I envy you, I know you don't like it but we don't get any here in Australia so just enjoy it OK!

5:29 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I thought only my dogs stomped all over my crocuses! I should have taken before and after picture. So far, they've killed 12 crocuses.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Heather@ Simple Panache said...

Snow, wow! We are turning our air conditioning on here.

"flu, meningitis, or African sleeping sickness", yikes, dear Gawd and holy crikes!

I have noticed ALOT of my co-workers are coming down with some nasty illness. I will be proudly wearing the mask and spraying (feverishly!) around my area trying to avoid whatever it is.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home