notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

My Own Private Joke

For all the parents out there who have had to fiend surprise at the (fake) cup of spilled coffee on the sofa, the plastic spiders on the floor, and toy snakes on the top of the bathroom door.

Who have endlessly looked down at the front of their shirts when one of their children asks, "What's on your shirt?" only to be hit by a finger underneath the chin.

Who have heard knocking and gone to the front door to find no one standing there.

Who have had an elastic band put around the sprayer nozzle on the sink so that they get a refreshing morning face wash while attempting to make the morning coffee.

Who have had the sugar in the sugar bowl replaced with salt.

Who have endured a breathless, familiar, little voice on the other end of the phone asking if the refrigerator is running.

Who have withstood April Fools jokes on more than just April 1st.

This one's for you.


This year the planets aligned, fate intervened, and God was on my side. Daylight savings time, usually the bane of my existence, fell on April Fools Day.

I changed all my clocks ahead Saturday evening before dinner. I meant to tell the kids when they were getting ready for bed an hour early and shout out "April Fools!" Honest, that was my plan.

But then I thought it would be WAY more funny if they actually went to bed an hour early. I realized that I didn't need to disclose the prank to them in order to feel good about it.

As I sat on the couch after they all went upstairs I had a laugh all to myself. And it was good. I may have even said, "Who's the fool now, suckha" while I ate some jelly beans right out of the bag.

But I'm not telling.

37 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Hey, good one. I think I may use that on other days, as well. Maybe any day that an extra hour is like gold.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is funny! (in a kind of mom's only kind of way) hahaha!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Truth said...

I think if it were me, I'd have to tell the next day. That way you can enjoy the prank a little longer, lol. That's a good one!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Who's the fool now, suckha" has tears rolling out of my eyes!

Hey, I have not heard of the sprayer nozzle thing. I will have to try that on my sister... ehehehe...

11:39 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I look up to a woman who calls her kids suckha and is mature enough to torture them without rubbing it in their face. Nicely done.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Love. That! I'm so jealous I didn't think of it.

12:32 AM  
Blogger momteacherfriend said...

I am still marveling at the fact that they went for it!
Simply spendid!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ha! Ha! good for you!

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFL you're a wicked mother but so so clever.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Brilliant!! That is just so amazingly simple yet effective. I wish I would have thought of it.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Jeana said...

That is hysterical! We had "fake" midnights on New Year's Eve for several years, until the little stinkers got their own watches and learned to tell time.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Holy crap - what a great idea!

7:37 AM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Awesome. Just awesome. :-)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

And comments from an Army wife with three wild little boys: HOO-AH! ;)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

You are so smart! I didn't remember Daylights Savings until Sunday morning and then we were running around late for everything.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Wicked Stepmom said...

HaHaHa! Brilliant!

I can't believe I didn't think of that! Though I was rewarded by kids (and YES, even the baby!) sleeping an hour later in spite of daylight savings. Or would that make it two hours later? ::shrug::

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did the exact same thing! The shocker was that they fell for it-even the baby who was extra tired from missing a nap the day before.

11:09 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Genius, Chris, pure genius.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwahahahaahhahahahahahaaha! Good one! I'll have to remember that one next year.

11:59 AM  
Blogger saucymomma said...

Good one. I so thought you would to tell your husband you were preggers.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Awesome.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a good one. I'll have to remember that for the future, when my kids are a tiny bit older.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a clever Mama indeed! Now tell us, did they wake an hour earlier though? :)
a.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

awesome!
i wish i'd thought of it!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Heather @ thedomesticdiva.org said...

I saw your blog mentioned in the BabyTalk magazine that I received today. The article was about Blogging Mamas. Since I'm a blogging mama as well I thought I'd come over and see yours.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If only we could do that *every* day....

3:19 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Dammit - why didn't I think of that!!!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

That story made me HAPPY! Good one. Getting a little bit back.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so doing that next year before my 3-year-old learns to tell time! :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Oh, crack me up! Did you tell them this morning?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

*snif, snif* That was your most moving post yet. Beau-ti-ful, I tell you.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

suhweet.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Maya said...

A stroke of pure genius! I once placed a rubber (very realistic looking) snake next to my friends' mothers' leg at a picnic, than moved it a little bit against her. She chased me for about a half mile.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn --- why didn't I think of that. Too funny!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

Brilliant!!!

But why wait for April fool's to do that...

Make it a weekly occurence, set all the clocks ahead every week, see how long it takes them to catch on, after they go to bed and are all sleeping, put them back to the right time...hahaha, yes I am evil:) I'd do it:) especially to sit and eat jellybeans by myself!
kim

12:28 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Why, oh, why didn't I think of that? I've decided you are my hero! :)

12:47 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Wickedly good! Loved it and will remember that for future reference.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home