notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Five Months

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I know that it is such a cliche, but I can't believe how quickly time is passing and how fast you are growing. At the same time, it feels as though you have been a part of me forever. I cannot conceive of a time when you were not in existence. When I think back on the past, before you were born, I feel your presence lurking behind the scenes. I am not sure how to reconcile these two seemingly conflicting feelings of you having just been born, yet having been here forever.

You love looking at the world around you. You have perfected rolling over and will roll around the room trying to get where you want to go. I spend a good deal of time getting you unstuck from various places, as well as untangled from your own arms. Sometimes you roll over with such force that you bang your head on the ground and cry. And I'll pick you up and kiss your little head, which will make you laugh and cry at the same time.

You sleep at night as well as I could ever hope for a 5 month old to sleep. You sleep in bed with me, with your arms extended to the sides, making sure you get the third of the bed that is rightfully yours. Your beautiful little face is the last thing I see at night before I fall asleep, and the first thing I see when I awaken, through no choice of my own, several times during the night. You consistently sleep at night from 9:00 pm to 6:00am, waking up to nurse, but falling right back to sleep. The only drawback to this is that you are now awake for longer periods during the day. Periods during which you demand constant amusement.

You have an attention span of about 3 minutes before you are bored. You are excited and happy about your toys and siblings, until suddenly you are not.

If you could talk, I imagine this is what you would be saying.

"Get that toy! Shake it above my head."

"Oh, I love that toy. I am going to scream at it and laugh at it a few times."

"Give it to me. I want to hold it now."

"Oh, I love this toy. I love this toy. I wonder how it tastes?"

"Yum. Yum. Oh no I dropped the toy. It's lost... forever."

"I MISS MY TOY. I WANT MY TOY. GIMME MY TOY. WHERE IS IT? OH WOE IS ME"

"Oh there it is. Mommy found it. Shake it over my head some more."

"Okay. Done with that. Walk me around the room now."

You demand constant attention, want us to play with you, and carry you around, yet you hate the sling. I think you find it too constricting, as you can't kick and flail and grab anything more than fists full of my hair. I have nicknamed you my little pita pocket. Which really is short for my little pain in the ass pocket sized version, somehow that one was to cumbersome to say. Other people might not find the nickname as endearing as I do, but I mean it with love.

I'd walk across hot coals to see that toothless baby grin and hear that belly laugh. And there are days that would be a welcome change of pace from the toy shaking, room pacing, noisy toy playing rut.

Right now you are laying under your musical baby gym grabbing the toys and perfecting your stomach crunches. Summer is almost here and soon you will be showing off your six-pack in your tiny swimming trunks. I do wish they made baby toys that played better, less annoying music, because after a few minutes of listening to this toy I am ready to scream and can hardly blame you when you do. It is especially fun when the other kids turn on noisy toys for you and we have dueling annoying musical arrangements.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There are always people around who want to play with you. And you seem to know that the smallest sigh of discontent will bring people running.

And you have a 2 yr old sister who provides more entertainment than the rest of us could ever hope to. What could be better than playing with Mr Potato Head?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Why a real live potato head baby, of course.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Luckily I rescued you before she decided to put on the ears and nose.


I love you, my little pita pocket.

18 Comments:

Blogger MF said...

First! Oh, wait. Wrong blog :P

But seriously, either I'm in a time warp or that baby (whom I'd like to eat, by the way) gets a month older every time I turn around! Babies are the only true time-pieces; that's what I always say.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Blair said...

Precious, just precious...
You put into words that which I feel about my own slightly younger pita pocket...
Bless you for those, tehy bring tears to my eyes!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

What a beautiful, beautiful babe! And what a lucky woman you are- although I'm sure you already know that! ;)

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But seriously, IS he your LAST"
or
"You guys haven't figured out where they come from yet?"
or
"Boy you sure do have your hands full!"
or
"Better you than me!"

no,wait i have a million of them...

:)

He is so adorable. My 19 month old seems so old now. They grow so amazingly fast don't they?

i remember when my baby used to nurse and fit my lap perfectly. I am looking down now at her where she fell asleep nursing and her long skinny legs are hanging off the chair.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Happy five months. Getting so big. It is amazing how time flies. I have recently started reading your site and just wanted to say hi.

8:25 PM  
Blogger elzie said...

OH he is precious! The glasses from Mr. P. were my first son's favorite accessory for the first few years of his life - we had the one with the pipe (before he became a PC potato head :-P) and he chewed the heck outta that.

He's a lucky babe to be SO very loved!

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! True words from a mother...:)

12:03 AM  
Blogger Perri said...

Beautiful, beautiful baby. What a great tribute to him. He sure is loved.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wandering my way through your archives and though usually just a lurker I was compelled to comment for two reason. First...a long ago post about how you wondered who all the people out there were reading your blog. I have passed you along to just about every other mother I know. You are simply delighful and a welcome break from the routine of motherhood.

Secondly, because you have mentioned so many times that you have severly slacked in the baby book area (as we all do by the second or third one). Do you realize that you are keeping a wonderful baby book right here for not only your youngest one but for your entire family. I am sure if you hang on to these posts that will enjoy reading them as much as the rest of us do.

ok enough...back to lurkdom :)

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Those are definitely keepers. :)

2:26 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

What a sweet entry! The Mr. Potato Head pics are too precious.

4:06 PM  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

What. A. Doll. That is one delicious baby.

Congrats on the clean van. It's worth it, to know that it can still BE that clean, if only for ten minutes.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have so inspired me to clean my car..tomorrow....

but what I really wanted to say it truly that baby is too beautiful to be real. You have an absolute angel there. I mean, all your kids are gorgeous, but that first photo made me melt.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post Chris! I was searching under the term find realtors and found your Five Months post as I was looking for more data on find realtors. Your must be ranking well in the engines. Best of luck Chris!

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post Chris! I was searching under the term list home on mls and found your Five Months post as I was looking for more data on list home on mls. Your must be ranking well in the engines. Best of luck Chris!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, coming across this post on Five Months, I thought maybe someone down here might have some good advice on how to sell your own house without a real estate agent. I’ve heard that according to a number of different sources, between 80% and 90% of owners who attempt to sell their homes on their own eventually enlist the aid of a realtor. Would anyone reccomend to deal with these guys property bought for cash ? I’m afraid I might be in for a loss or getting much less then the market value. Thanks for your insight.

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my travel games for kids site.
Good luck!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

free house design software

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home