notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is a holiday that Rob and I pretty much ignore. I have no issues with other people who celebrate it, but I have never liked Valentine's Day. The whole idea that we need a special day to show those around us how much we love them seems so wrong, so contrived, so thought of by Hallmark that I can't stand it. And the things that they promote for this day are way to cutesy and infantile for me.

My husband surely doesn't need a pair of heart covered boxer shorts made of a 20 thread count fabric, which is about as soft and comfy as wrapping a burlap sack around your privates. And just what is the thought behind things like this ?

If my husband ever bought me a stuffed animal for ANY occasion I would truly question his sanity.

And I don't have a particular desire for a rose that really is a red thong all tied up to look like a rose. Do I smell it and then put it on, or put it on and then smell it?

And has anyone else seen the Valentine's Day commercial that uses the song 99 Red Balloons? What is up with that? Leave it to advertisers to turn a song about nuclear war into a song about love. I only saw the commercial once, but I am really hoping that I'll get to see it again as I didn't enjoy it thoroughly enough. The first time around, I spent looking at Rob, ranting and saying WTH?!?! I think the second time around would be humorous since I have already come to terms with the idea that *someone* thought it was a great song for a valentine's commercial and I already set the disbelief aside.

And don't get me started about the commercial which shows a woman following cards (Hallmark ones I can only assume) up to the rooftop of an apartment building. Upon reaching the roof she sees her boyfriend sitting at a little table holding a STUFFED BEAR that itself is holding a tiny heart shaped box of chocolate. I don't think my reaction is the one Hallmark intended.

And what is it about Valentine's Day that has brought out the need for me to begin every paragraph with the word "and" and to write only in run-on sentences?


Yet, despite my disdain for this pseudo-holiday, you wanna know what I spent last night doing?

I made this:



And even though I was tempted to just throw the red hots on I persevered with the neat little rows. Because this is being graded and neatness counts. Because I love seeing my children's happy little faces more than I hate this commercialized holiday. Because they are growing up.

One day when my children are grown up and recalling all the ills I have inflicted upon them, I'll be able to counter with, but hey remember that cake, how it was heart-like and had all the red candy neatly on it?And your baby brother was crying the entire time and Dad kept telling me it was bed time, and I probably could have gotten lucky, yet I kept slaving away on that cake for you. A cake I made for a holiday I don't even like?

I have to do something in exchange for all the fodder I legitimately give them for the therapist's couch.

To all my friend's, whether you celebrate Valentine's Day or not, I hope that you have someone in your life who makes you feel special and loved everyday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful cake! You have the same reason to make it as I do the pink mashed potatoes we will be consuming for dinner.

Just want to say again that I love your blog. Totally made my morning.

1:18 PM  
Blogger K said...

I totally agree about Valentine's Day, though I'll take any excuse to consume mass quantities of chocolate. My favorite are those Russell Stover strawberry cream-filled hearts. Mmmmm.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home