notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 20, 2004

Obladi Oblada

Life goes on. Things have returned to normal here, for better or worse.

Deck the halls with boughs of holly...

We managed to get our Christmas tree chopped down and into the house on Saturday and so far it has only fallen over twice. Rob climbed onto the icy roof to hang up our huge wreath on the front of the house and didn't fall to his death. That is how we measure success here. Not sure what that says about us other than our standards seem to have fallen pretty low.

Fa-la-la-la-la lala la-la...

I baked 5 different kinds of Christmas cookies with the children over the past week. I did feel slightly guilty for waiting until the went outside to play yesterday to make the final batch.

Okay, not really. But I did think that I should feel slightly guilty.

However, if I had to tell people to stop licking their fingers and touching the cookie dough again I may have fa-la-la-la-lad myself into a brain aneurysm. We are having fun making cookies, dammit. I figure that the oven temperature should kill any germs. And if not we will just be spreading the love to Rob's family.

Tis the season to be jolly...

My one year old suddenly spiked a fever of over 104 yesterday afternoon. Thankfully today it is down to 101 without medicine. Trying to keep her away from the baby has been a task. I decided that my first instinct to yell, 'Keep away. Don't breathe on him!' was not very nice.

And neither was spraying everyone with Lysol.

Okay, I really didn't do that. But I want to.

Fa-la-la-la-la lala la-la...

I have to figure out our Christmas menu and go to the grocery store at some point in the next couple days. I may just end up making some of the food that I made fun of at Thanksgiving. Opening up a can of corn and heating it up can count as a vegetable, right?

Don we now our gay apparel...

I probably shouldn't even worry about it since Rob's family *likes* that sort of food. Even though I know that they would probably prefer the store bought hermetically sealed Pumpkin pie, I can't help but want to make the dairy-free tofu pumpkin pie. I get some sort of perverse pleasure out of feeding them weird (to them) foods and then telling them what it is made out of after they have eaten it. And that is probably why my BIL is bringing a ham.

Fa-la-la-la-la-la la la la...

My holiday spirit has been sucked dry already. The baby is having trouble with reflux and my sinus infection is coming back, despite the fact that I am still taking the antibiotics. I have a mental list of all the things I still have to accomplish before Christmas, as well as a mental guilt list of all the things I have already cast aside, like Christmas cards, visiting Santa, presents for anyone other than the children, ninety percent of the decorations... I am pretty sure I have turned into Scrooge this year.

Troll the ancient Yule tide carol...

And just what the hell do these lyrics mean?

Fa -la -la -la- la, lala la-la.

If anyone is looking for me I will be hiding the corner, scarfing down cookies, and waiting for the Spring thaw








7 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Sit down before I come over there and sit you down!! LOL You gave birth just over a week ago. No guilt allowed. You are not scrooge and lowering your standards/skipping normal Christmas activities is perfectly acceptable. Your job is to take care of the precious gift you gave your family this year--a new baby!

Getting off the soapbox now, but that speech helped me to rationalize my mood and all of the things I'm not doing this year, even though my baby is 3 weeks older than yours.

Have a Merry Christmas! (and don't feel guilty if you rejoice when it's over).

5:02 PM  
Blogger Annalise said...

Cooking will kill the germs. I speak from experience ;-) Either that or we all have phenomenal immune systems. As for all your Christmas prep worries - well, you just had a baby and you have seven other young children! And a head cold! This year you are exempt from all holiday tasks except those that you happen to want to do. :-) Enjoy the cookies :-)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It's "toll the ancient Yuletide Carol" like, toll a bell, lol. Now, sit down, eat cookies and let the rest take care of itself. Where is this Christmas 'rulebook'. Just do the fun stuff!! If that means napping and buying dinner from the store so be it. We will be having that holiday favorite, hot dogs!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Go directly to bed!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Oh I hear you on the guilt issue this year. I felt guilty for making up all the batter for our ginegerbread cookies while the kids were busy. So that they would only be involved in the cutting out part.LOL. How mean am I????

Hope you are finding time to enjoy that new baby. It sounds like you are being a bit too hard on yourself. Snuggle up with him and enjoy him before you end up exhausted!!!That's an order!!!LOL

5:29 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

You're so funny. I find baking with my two kids totally exasperating. I can't imagine how you do it!

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

/ blog has all kinds of really cool stuff in it. www.christmas-mall-online.com

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home