notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Max For The Minimum

Today I went to TJMaxx to return some things I bought a few weeks ago and to look for a new pair of black shoes to wear to the upcoming wedding. As I waited at the costumer service counter the older boys were looking at the jewelry display case. Ooohing and Aaaahing over all the sparkling jewelry while leaving every possible surface covered with their fingerprints and noseprints.

They spotted a ring that they thought looked like my engagement ring and screamed my name repeatedly waited patiently until I came over. It did look similar to my ring, you know if you were blind or a child under 10 years old, But it is TJ Maxx, not a jewelry store and it was priced at $299, so I don't think the quality of the jewelry should come as any surprise.

I said to the kids, "It does look like it, but this jewelry isn't real."

As we turned to walk away the man who was standing behind the counter says, "Yes, this jewelry is real."

"Pardon me?" I said, thinking I must have heard him wrong.

"This here jewelry is real," he repeated, tapping his finger on the glass display case.

"Well, in the sense that it isn't imaginary, yes I suppose it is real."

I'm just thankful that my husband didn't buy me that kind of "real" jewelry when we got married, or there would have been an imaginary bride at the altar.

But they do have real shoes. And I bought a pair that were $3. I know. That's practically disposable.

Also, I bought I big ceramic Valentine's Day platter for $2. Uh-huh... Way. It cancels out the $50 pair of shoes I bought. It sounds like such a better bargain to say two pair of shoes and a platter for $55. Doesn't it?

16 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Ok, so I am cheap. The man I call my husband even though technically we are not married, joked recently that he would get me a cubic zirconia ring.
I said he might as well I'd be horrified if I lost a very expensive ring he bought for me.
I figure 12 years together, 5 kids and a genuine understanding that we are stuck with each other for better or worse makes us more married than most people with the piece of paper, photo album and dusty sress in their closet.
As for good bargains, we went to IKEA on the weekend. All the items in the 'tel quel' (as is) area were 50% off the marked down price. We bought a dresser for $50. It was marked that it was missing the side of a drawer. We got it home and it was all there and in perfect condition. We saved $150. Which I guess my Dh should put away for the ring he wants to buy me.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Hausfrau said...

Okay, this is totally off the subject, but it's something I've wanted to ask for awhile now.

How do you make some of the words you blog appear with a line through them?

Sorry for interrupting with a techie question, but I would love to know.

PS ... my husband put his milk cow up as collateral for my engagement ring. True story.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet. I love TJMaxx. But my feet are too darn big for their shoes. Size 11. I'm 6 feet tall, what can I say?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

caroline,

you type this "<" and then "s" and then ">"

then you word or phrase you want to strike-out

then "<" "/" "s" ">"

obviously without the quotation marks.

hope that helps

I have never been to Ikea. There just isn't one close enough, which might be a good thing

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This here jewelry is real", has to be the best line. Yeah, I am with you. If my Hubby had bought me a ring at TJMax... well nevermind. And yes, it always sounds better if you add it all up. I hope the $50 shoes were fun ones.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Hausfrau said...

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the techie html help.

9:08 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Road trip to visit MEEEEEE and then we'll go to Ikea!

Yes, it is real, much like home shopping network jewelry is real.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

caroline,
that is probably the one and ONLY time that someone will ever thank me for techie help.

halloweenlover,

Shall I pick you up?

9:22 PM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I once lived with a man that I was engaged to for 10 years but never married. He bought me a cubic zirconia ring because he didn't have a lot of money. It was a really big ring, and looked quite expensive but it didn't cost any more than about $60 with the tax. I always took it off when I did dishes because I was afraid to get it wet incase it tarnished or something. A shady neighbor of ours came in one day when I was doing dishes and the ring disappeared. We always thought he stole it and pawned it. I wonder what he got for it...

10:02 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I got an engagement fridge...

We did look at rings initially, but then we needed to buy a new fridge, and it just seemed like such a sensible use for the money that we never got around to buying the ring. I don't have a wedding ring, either (nor does he). But then I don't wear much jewellery anyway, and when I do I prefer big chunky ethnic stuff, so traditional engagement and wedding rings would look silly.

As ever, you make me laugh. Thanks!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ms. Mamma said...

I was always wondering the same thing Caroline was now that she mentioned it. Thanks! I digress... your comment about it being real in that it is not imaginary was absolutely priceless! So clever and funny. I love TJ but I love TJ Maxx and More(superstores) even better.

1:32 AM  
Blogger deedee said...

I want to go to TJ maxx, so bad, I love that store, fake jewelry and all.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I'm just impressed that you have sons who were impressed by jewelry!

8:27 AM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Ooh, envy. I lovelovelove a good/great deal. Yesterday we went to Old Navy to take advantage of the flip-flop sale (because I live in these during the summer), and also bought a new sweatshirt (for the kiddo) for less than $1.97. I've gotten plenty of great stuff at thrift stores, and if I'm going to buy new clothes, they'd better be cheap.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the TJ Maxx associate was a WEE bit defensive. Tee hee. I absolutely heart TJ Maxx. One opened about 2 miles from my house a few years ago and I was there so often I knew that they received a regular delivery of new goodies each Thursday. My husband always knew why I was home late from work (this was pre-babies) on Thursdays. :) Oh, and NOW I work about two miles from a new, expanded TJ Maxx with a huge housewares department. Sigh...

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFALMAO, I just love this web site, and $3 shoes.

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home