notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Running On The Inside

I really had no idea that people felt so strongly about the name of my blog. To everyone who emailed me venting their disappointment, I say, "I'm sorry. But change is good. Embrace the change. And um, I love you too, even though you frighten me a little."

Also, the rate I do things it will be a long, L-O-N-G time before anything changes.

Moving on. Yesterday I had another root canal, where I told my endodontist he really should throw this one in for free considering all the work I had given him over the course of the past year. Afterward, he told me not to engage in any aerobic activity or lift anything heavy for the day. He said it would make it hurt more. But did I listen? Did I?

Of course not. Because I was still numb and not feeling anything. And I have a little black dress to wear next month. Also, why would it make it hurt more? I'm tough. I can handle it.

But then after running my jaw began to hurt. It could just be a co incidence, the timing of running and the novacaine wearing off. For me, however, it is just another check mark in the column of why I hate exercise. It still hurts this morning. Today I'll just be running on the inside. I wonder how effective that will be?

Not to be deterred by my relentless teasing, Rob made up a spreadsheet for the grocery store. Some of the things on the spreadsheet made me laugh, like frozen fish fillets, tartar sauce, and dry gravy... I don't think I have EVER bought those things. I opened my email on Tuesday afternoon to find this along with the request that I add the items we need to the list:

100_2295

Rob went to the grocery store that night and drew a schematic of the store, with the aisles and food items listed in the aisle where they would be found, in the order that he walks through the store. I thought he was going to have to spend the night there it took so long.

He is finishing up working on it and is then going to print it off and hang it on the refrigerator. Which seems great, in theory. But given the way that things get ruined or disappear in this house, coupled with my laziness, I don't think it will be long before the grocery list is scribbled with crayon on the back of a random used envelope.

I know it pains my husband that I can't be as anal retentive as he is. Maybe I'll change. Change is good, right?

20 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I am laughing my ass off at the spreadsheet. Whatever keeps them happy...

Sorry about the dentist and pain. There were sometimes I was ready to tell mine to pull them all out and be done with it. But I like corn on the cob so I made it through.

And the name thing, I like The Big Yellow House. But I'm sure I'll like the new name too because it's still you. A rose by any other name will blah, blah, blah... Have a nice day!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I, ah, kind of like the idea of the spreadsheet. Please don't hit me!
I make a menu everyweek. I shop according to the menu and what is on sale. (And yes, I put list my items according to the grocery store aisles.) Ahem, thank you very much.

Seriously, if I don't do this it is at least another $30 to $40 a week if I don't do this. I like to spend, including at the grocery store.

9:17 AM  
Blogger T said...

If you fill out the spreadsheet will Rob do the grocery shopping with several kids to 'help' him? Now that would make it useful!

Couldn't you just use a picture of any big yellow house? It's not like any of us would have known. And the stalkers would be lurking around someone else's house waiting for seven kids to come out to play. Too late now, I guess.

You could tell us that you moved to a yellow house.

Oh all right I LOVE the new name.

And your ass looks small today. Not my ass though I've been eating cookies and doughnuts.

Thanks for all the laughs. Reading your blog makes me see the humor in my everday.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha
Your husband is cracking me up.

Hey if he will do the shopping...give him the list!
My husband loves to grocery shop.
I HATE it.
But if I were alone I would probably like it more too.

Love all the comments you got about the name change.

Too funny.

And it really is yellow. A soft buttery yellow but yellow just the same.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What happens when the grocery decides to move things around?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Heather@ Simple Panache said...

Dont you love how men think they need a spread sheet for grocery shopping?!

Kudos to Rob though for being this instrumental in regards to the grocery shopping!

If it does get plastered with crayon and what not, be sure to share that photo as well. LOL :)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed by your husband. He's a keeper! (As you know!!) My first (read 'ex') husband would NEVER have gone to so much trouble to do something helpful. I know, it's not really your style, but he's being helpful, and he's investing his TIME to try to help. You just can't exaggerate how important this is. What a great guy.

My partner (proving you can learn from your mistakes) not only has a four-week menu written, so I never have to THINK about what to cook, also has a four-week grocery list made to go along with it, and does all the shopping.

Anal? Absolutely. Do I love him for it? To bits!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once ran into my dentist in a bar and told him that in the future I would just have my pay check directly deposited into his bank account. I think I hurt his feelings.

10:44 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Hey! Flickr won't let me see the spreadsheet! HOW RUDE! I thought we were friends!!!

I think I may need to do the same thing. I spend hours at the grocery store.

I hope your mouth feels better! Come over! I'll make you a pina colada.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Gotta love the spreadsheet!

Sorry about your mouth pain. Hope your finished with the dentist for a long while now!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

Holy anal spreadsheet Batman. It's like my dh getting so excited about doing our budget in excel last night. Even though it was bedtime for me, he wanted me to help him create it. Hmm, poke my eyes out with sharp sticks or work on excel with him? I think I'll take the sharp sticks.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all these people focused on the spreadsheet - me - I'm wondering about your root canal. I need one but can't (won't) pay the $1,250 it's going to cost me. Today the hygenist asked me if it was fear and I said no - I have 3 kids and can barely pay their dental bills.

Okay - like the spreadsheet in theory - but don't see it working. Have fun

1:39 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Love the idea of the spreadsheet but I would never have that much time or patience to create one let alone use it!

Too funny!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

Okay, I'm one of those sickos who loves spreadsheets. I once received an improptu award at work for being the "excel queen for the day" because I solved someone's problem with a SWEET formula... I'll stop embarrasing myself now. But I might have to try the spreadsheet thing, just the same.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Annalise said...

I think the new URL is great. A bit edgier than your current address :-)

Our groceries will be arriving tomorrow night; can't praise online shopping highly enough :-)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

you deserve a day off from the treadmill the treadmill deserves a day off from you!! (kidding!)

am i the only one who thinks the spreadsheet thing is weird? my husband has a fondness for excel so excessive that it creeps me out. but i draw the line at grocery lists in excel. whoa! that's just too weird. a shopper's gotta live a little. there's got to be some space for improvisation.

1:32 AM  
Blogger deedee said...

I am not even going to show my husband the spreadsheet idea, I am sure he would love it.

It's not the name but the content that counts. I really like coming over for my morning read, please keep up your witty writing.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Hindsfeet said...

I love the new name. It's the type so clever, one wishes they had thought it up themself. ;)

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I just have a few thoughts...

1) I like the new name of your blog however, I refuse to change it on my own because frankly it will confuse people that makes me giggle in a scary/mean sorta way

2) I am sorry your teeth hurt but you know, essentially its your own fault because everyone knows that the dentist is evil and one should never go there. Ok maybe not but since I have a cavity that is beginning to hurt (shhh dont tell my bughead) I am attempting to convince myself that I dont need to go.

3) I like the spreadsheet thing too but only because I want to train my 14 year old to do all the shopping and it would make things easier for her. Do you think its considered child abuse to send her to the store to do a weeks worth of groceries by herself every week? Yea. I thought so to.

Sigh.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Running on the inside."
Now there's an exercise I could get into! Love the blog, don't mind what it's called.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home