notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's A World Of Laughter, A World Of Tears...

I have found that I either have too many things I want to write about or nothing at all. Both of these result in me writing nothing. The former because I am too damn busy, and the latter because, well, I got nothing.

So in the spirit of sharing I present the Cliff Note version of my week thus far, a week which has only just begun:

I. Virus
The computer kind which has caused me much angst, hair pulling, and required much of my time and the downloading of a new spiffier anti virus program.

The body kind which has caused me a blinding headache, assorted aches, and heartburn so bad I am half tempted to gut myself with a butter knife to get some sort of relief, or die... either will do.

II. Annoying people
The pharmacist who, since she works at a job serving people who are generally sick, crazy, or in need of medication, should be personable. But she isn't. She is mean and nasty and today I told her so. And I never do things like that. Ordinarily I take all the crap people hand out and bitch about it unproductivly later on.

The person who parked right up against the back bumper of my van at the grocery store. I had pulled through and taken up two parking places, like I always do because my van is the size of a small apartment and the back doors open outward. You know the back doors that one would have to open if they had just bought a cart full of groceries and wanted to bring them home. This caused much swearing on my part, as well as the throwing of groceries, and I really wanted to stand on the hood of their car and repeatedly smack my van doors into their bumper. Good thing I picked up that medication, huh?


III.Dads
My children love to watch Animal Planet on television and sigh over all the pets I will not let them own. I maintain that sea monkeys are pets. One of their favorite shows is Animal Cops: Houston. Rob happens to be in Houston this week on business. Today he went to the Houston ASPCA to meet the people the kids see on the television show and takes some pictures. He said the people there were so nice and happy to hear the positive feedback. They gave him some postcards to bring back and he made a donation to their shelter. The kids are going to be thrilled by this. He is such a good Dad. Of course they would be more thrilled if he brought them home a puppy or a kitten, but we have SEA MONKEYS damnit. And one day they will grow and we will actually be able to see them. Then who will be thrilled. Uh-huh.

I think I have found my own father. It a post all of it's own, but I'm still not exactly sure what I am thinking about it all. But what has made that insufferable Disney song stuck on replay in my head is the fact that it appears my long lost father lives across the street from one of my internet friends. I know. Isn't that bizarre? Add to it that I had no idea where exactly either of them lived two days ago. Tell me that wouldn't make you walk around humming It's A Small World.

IV. Christmas

Has there been some sort of holiday change that no one has made me aware of in which we have replaced Thanksgiving with a month long Christmas fest? It's like a Christmas prequel. Where are all the Thanksgiving decorations? The dried corn, the turkeys, the...the... paper hats and buckle shoes. I dunno, whatever it is that says Thanksgiving.

I am going on my annual Christmas shopping trip this weekend with a good friend of mine, though I have come to the sad realization that we really have drifted apart and I'm not sure that we even qualify as friends anymore. She has yet to meet my baby. He just turned 11 months old. I guess she didn't want to rush over.

23 Comments:

Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

I've been having a similar problem myself. Too much going on and too much to say or feeling that I don't have anything at all to say.

Of course that never stops me. I make useless posts all the time. ;)

11:38 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

You're going to think I'm some weirdo internet freaque, but i have an a/c adapter just like yours. being in mexico, jamie couldn't hop out and get one so he SOLDERED IT BACK TOGETHER. Sometimes i hate that man, but geez, he does come in useful. i have been full of So Very Many Things to say and think, damn! I should blog that but the kids are on the puter or i'm on the toliet or who knows and poof it is gone. So then I sit down to write and it is pure drivel.

your last paragraph made me want to cry. so sad. luckily i was laughing about the van cause, as you know, we have the exact same van. and i park the exact same way. i'm make a mental note to say away from the east coast. :)

my MIL has never met my girls - oh wait! last year, when they were 5 and 3 she saw them for the first time. She saw Pike twice; once when he was months old (a freak visit) and then again when he was 8. luckilly, we have my folks.

take care of yourself. next time just drive that big ass mf'ing van INTO the pharmacy and demand your rights! :)

1:08 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I was discussing with others last night that it is no longer the holidayS but The Holiday. Singular. As for friends, it seems I no longer have any. Sigh

6:17 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Lots of my "friends" don't bother to meet my later children. I think they must assume they have seen all the others, what could be so novel. I think they are afraid if they touch a seventh baby, they might get pregnant.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so emotional today. The Dad part made me cry. Your husband sounds like a wonderful Dad and I'm glad you found your own Dad-I wish you luck with whatever you choose to do.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Hugs to you today.

And bravo to you for saying how you felt to the rude pharmacist. Sometimes maybe just one person pointing out bad manners can make a diffference in how the perosn treats everyone else that day!

Will look forward to hearing about you finding your Dad. My SIL is adopted and she found her birth mother about 4 years ago.....she has yet to contact her. She plans on doing it soon.

Hope the laughter takes over the tears during the second part of the week!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

What is it with all the Xmas music in the stores? I was buying my damn turkey listening to "it's the most wonderful time of the year" and it WAS not a wonderful time, when you are elbow deep in a freezer full of birds.

11:01 AM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

I. Virus
Argh! Boo! Bad viruses! I wish you a quick recovery from both types!

II. Annoying people
Am I the only one wondering what the pharmacist said in return?

III.Dads
So touching -- both the wonderfulness of the kids' dad and your having found your father. I hope you post more about this.

IV. Christmas
Heh. On a recent trip through the mall, I taught my son to say, "It's not even Thanksgiving yet! It's an OUTRAGE!" every time we saw a Christmas decoration. I'm not sure everyone else was as amused as I was, but my kid does exist for my amusement, after all. ;^)

11:03 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Chris, I'm so happy to hear about your dad. I can't wait to read your post.

Good for you for telling the pharmacist off, I have these moments where I wonder WHO THE HELL people think they are to treat other people that way. Hrumph.

And the Christmas stuff? Ridiculous. The mall was decorated for Christmas before Halloween around these parts. Sigh.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Lori Ann said...

LOL, my husband and boys all bug me about wanting to celebrate christmas NOW. But, I put my foot down, NO christmas music in the house until after turkey day! I happen to love Thanksgiving.
ANd the baby thing bugs me too. I have friends who haven't even inquired about my 3rd son. I guess they figure youve seen one of their boys youve seen them all!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Just a note about the van parking, it happens to me ALL THE TIME! I pull through, and leave the back end hanging over the back space, so that I can open the doors to load up the groceries. How the *$@#& do those people think we get the groceries in if we don't open the doors??? And yet, still, they park behind me. Mind you, I am not parked in a plum spot right near the front, no; I am parked waaay at the end of the lot, (as close as I can get to a cart return so that I don't have to leave the kids all in their seats for too long while I put the cart away) and there are always open spots around me. So what is so attractive about parking behind me???

I'll tell you what I do. After crawling over their bumper and letting the door scrape their car hood, (and resting some of the bags on the car hood as I transfer them from cart to my van) I so so so kindly leave my cart parked right next to their driver side door, touching the car, and drive away. I figure if the car is that close to me then it must be an invitation to use it as a shelf of sorts to aid in my loading up the van.

There are times where they don't even leave room for me to walk behind my van, never mind get the doors open, and then I have to put all the groceries under the seats. But the cart still gets parked next to their door.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

On the way to my nieces' choir concert, a driver cut me off rather rudely. When I realized she was headed to the same concert I followed her through the parking lot and parked right next to her. As I unloaded child after child from my car, I called out to her that my Daddy must have taught me better driving manners than hers had and wasn't she glad my brakes worked well and she wasn't responsble for a wreck that could have harmed ANY of these precious babies that were in my car. She wrapped her sweater around her shoulders and took off before I could say more. My mother stood there with her jaw on the ground. That is usually so out of character for me, but we were going to a freakin' kids choir concert. It wouldn't have killed her to pull into the parking lot behind me instead of barreling in front of me out of turn. Given the long amount of time she spent putting on lipstick before getting out of her vehicle, she wasn't in any hurry. Just rude. What did the pharmacist say, anyway?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I am so doing what Gretchen does the next time someone parks right behind my van (I do the exact same pull through the spots parking technique). I think we may just have to be rude and park in the damn middle of the two spots.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

The Christmas thing bugs me, I swear on Halloween they were tossing all the candy into "Discount" shopping carts and hanging wreaths and holly at our store. And we live where it was freakin' HOT up until two days ago (upper 80's) so yeah hearing "let it snow" at Wal-Mart is just a bit strange.

Lisa, I'll be your friend if you, um, will put up with someone like me.

And my parents usually ask "how many kids do you have now?" and such. That's because when we were actively fostering sometimes we'd call on our way over and tell them to set a couple extra places at the table, since we had a new placement. So I can't blame them 100%. But still they only see the kids a few times a year and yet we live three hours apart - it's not like somebody has to get on an airplane to visit the other side.

I can't wait to hear more about your dad...

2:56 PM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

And I can't help but add that when somebody parks too close to me, I let the kids drive the cart.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I had a similar pharmacist experience, and then I changed pharmacies. I showed them! I'm sure they miss my miniscule contribution to their business. LOL. Oh, and I feel your pain on the friend problem - what is it about adulthood/motherhood that seems to change friendships? Whatever it is, it's pretty sad.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I just discovered your blog and love it! You are a talented writer. There is just one thing I'm not sure I have understood correctly from reading your blog, and I hope this question isn't too intrusive: do you really have 7 kids, with an 8th on the way?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Look, I'm not at all opposed to large families, but that doesn't mean I know the logistical ins-and-outs of having one. Big van drivers, please give us ignorant folks a break! When we non-van drivers park, we just try to leave room for everyone to open car doors, and it doesn't occur to us to wonder how you load your groceries. If you expect to be left the two spaces, BY ALL MEANS park in the middle. Then your intentions are clear. Otherwise, pull in the space with your front end overhanging the other space and then you won't have to curse innocent bystanders who might assume you use the side door for loading groceries. There's a difference between common courtesy and telepathy!!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Lenise,

I do pull through and park right in the middle and people will park right up behind me almost touching my back bumper. It seems like people are mad thinking I am taking up two spots and are trying to "get back" at me or something.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Oh and Lisa,
I only have seven, with none on the way... ever again.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

"Only," Chris?!?! As a single woman without children, I think you are a very special person (meant sincerely, not snarkily)!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya ##NAME##, just thought I'd say great post titled ##TITLE##. I'm looking for ##LINK## and I ended up here accidentally but I will make sure I return soon. Looking for in addition will keep me busy for a few hours.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home