notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Eleven

Eleven years ago I went to bed, feeling like I would be pregnant forever.

Eleven years ago at 3:00am my water broke while I was sleeping.

Eleven years ago at 3:01am, I had my first contraction and panicked because OH MY GOD it really hurts and who knows how long this is going to last. I don't even like to do things that feel good for hours on end.

Eleven years ago at 3:03am, I had my second contraction and the realization hit me that this baby was really going to have to exit my body.

Eleven years ago at 3:05am, I had my third contraction and decided I wanted all the drugs that the hospital could give me and I wanted them right now and why wasn't Rob moving more quickly. Who cares if he isn't dressed.

Eleven years ago I threw the telephone across the room when the doctor told me to try to talk through a contraction so he could assess if it was time to come to the hospital. When Rob retrieved the phone the doctor said, yes it would appear to be time.

Eleven years ago we walked out the front door of our apartment as a family of two for the last time.

Eleven years ago when a nurse told me she had four children I told her she was crazy. That anyone who would go through this more than once was crazy. And then I cried because my baby was going to be an only child.

Eleven years ago I pushed for three hours before telling the doctor that I changed my mind, I really didn't want a baby thankyouverymuch, and please just make it stop.

Eleven years ago the doctor attached a vacuum to the top of your head and pulled you from my body. I think we both screamed.

Eleven years ago a piece of my heart began living outside of my own body and I would never be the same again.

Eleven years ago I began this journey of motherhood; eleven years later I am still navigating the way with you in the lead.


Where Did The Time Go?

Happy Eleventh Birthday, my first born son.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog, Chris. You always say things that I cannot express well with the written word, and have many times have brought a tear to my eye.

By the way, although I think all your children are beautiful, since your oldest son is the subject of this post, let me just say that he sure is a looker! You're going to have your hands full in a few years :-)

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your oldest! He is certainly a handsome boy!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Happy Birthday to your first baby! Wow 11 years old.

11:30 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh, he is such a sweetheart. He is an excellent leader for the team ; )

Happy Birthday! Love the post.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday! Eleven is scary. One minute they are just your kid and the next minute you can see how they will look as adults and all too often they display teenage characteristics they have no right to yet.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day Mr. Eleven! Great post, as always, you have a really good way with the written word, Chris. :)

TB

12:35 PM  
Blogger KirsieMarie said...

I hate that vacuum thing. I swear I cleared 12" off the delivery table as the doctor tried to suction Thad out of me. How he still has a head, I just don't know. It's good to see that Firstborn doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear. And for the record, just from what I read I can tell you are an amazing mom.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have an 11 year old.
It really is a great age.
He is very handsome.

Have you always homeschooled?
and if so why?
Were you or your husband homeschooled?

Do your boys enjoy it or do they ever wish they were in "regular" school?

Just curious.
Maybe you can do an entire post about it.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My oldest is turning 11 soon. It is funny how I said many of the same things... I totally changed my mind. Of course I also begged my husband to kill me during labor.

Happy Birthday to your oldest! So handsome.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love your blog. You often make me laugh out loud and today you made me cry.
Happy birthday to your first-born son!

2:08 PM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful son -- and to you! ;^) And I pushed for quite a long time (three hours, give or take), too, and the doc had to use the vacuum thingie to get my son out. Pat yourself on the back, lady. Ya done good. :-)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Happy birthday Mr. 11yo! I hope your day is fantastic!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have an newly 11yo son (birthday Nov.2) that started my journey to 4more kids and hopefully more. I love to read your blogg you are sooooo good at entertaining me and I like to look at the simalarities in the both of us (so I can relate to the piece of my heart comments and the everything else stuff including having my 11yo on the white soxs this fall too) but I am not as good with the writing thing as you
love all you do
jean

4:00 PM  
Blogger blackbird said...

Eleven years ago a piece of my heart began living outside of my own body.



s'truth.


happiest of days to you and he.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday to him!

Only seven more years till he is an adult!

Karen

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm expecting my first in January and your post was beautiful and scary to me.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Iselyahna said...

*sniffles* God, you're a good writer.

Now excuse me while I mop up the weepy-ness off the floor.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Beautiful and funny, like 99.99% of your entries! Happy bday to your firstborn, gorgeous boy. Love his hat, too.

7:56 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

My, he is becoming one handsome young man, Chris. Ya' done good!!

Thank you for sharing that beautiful tribute!

12:38 AM  
Blogger elzie said...

Precious post.
Happy 11th bday to your son!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Annalise said...

Hope the birthday boy has a wonderful day. :-)

7:27 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Happy Birthday, Eldest Son!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Happy birthday to him and Happy Mom's day to you! :)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Mair said...

I have to say, the part about the family of two and the piece of your heart ... wow. I'm a little misty-eyed. :-)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post. I remember thinking during the birth of our first child how he would be my one and only after that ordeal. Three kids later, it was all worth it!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Angelize said...

That was wonderful. I wish I had your talent for writing. Excellent.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

You've taken me from laughter to tears once again. What a wonderful way to commemorate his birthday.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

My 11 year old son(May 14) was born at home after 4 1/2 hrs of PUSHING...instead of thinking, "This is it for me!" I thought, "Well, it will never be THIS bad again!" Loved your post, Chris.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another handsome young man. You must be a proud momma. Love that story and the bit where you threw the phone was funny.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm... makes you think a little, nice read there.

Pediatric Orthodontics Arvada

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home