notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

How To Make A Mother Proud

My 9 yr old has recently developed a passion for cooking. He wants to prepare every meal, make desserts, and just mess around with the stove. I think it is the pyromaniac in him trying to find an acceptable outlet. Yesterday he made me scrambled eggs, toast, tea, and baked a cake.

I am all for it, because really is there such a thing as too many home baked goods? Especially home baked goods that I didn't have to make myself.

Today he is going to make some kind of cookies. He isn't sure yet what kind so he is reading through some cookbooks. That counts as school, right? Reading, math, measuring...

Anyway, he came up to me a little while ago and said that he thinks when he grows up he is going to be a chef and own a restaurant. He had it all planned out. The 6 yr old would be the waiter. The 4 yr old would wash the tables. The 8 yr old would just sit and eat all day and tell the people to "enjoy their meals" or "have a nice nice day"

The 11 yr old is going to be a professional baseball player and even if he wasn't he said "[he] has no desire to work in a restaurant and have to serve people all day long." Probably safe to say we could rule out the Peace Corp for him as a career choice, or a Red Cross worker who takes draws blood.

And my daughter, well he said "She can dance on the tables and entertain everyone, since she loves dancing so much."

And here I was hoping that she would outgrow her penchant for taking off her clothing and dancing on the furniture.

10 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Ha! On many levels...;)

My little brother LOVED to cook - I'd come home from college and find that the then-8-year-old had made chocolate mousse to welcome me home...I say enjoy it while you can!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Glad he is cooking but my goodness I hope your daughter doesnt grow up to take her clothes off and dance on tables. But if that is what makes her happy go for it!

Kids are definitly funny!

Hope he makes some good cookies today!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Speckledpup said...

I have taught my boys to cook, because they love it, it instills a sense of accomplishment.
But the main reason....the big one, and really the only one that counts....
My favorite thing to eat, is something someone else has cooked.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

9 huh? I'm thinking my 8 year old is getting cookbooks for Christmas.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Hmm, I like the idea of my kid making food for me. Think my 4-year-old is too young?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

heh. It's always good to have a plan. ;)

12:47 PM  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

This could be a great moneymaker for you: rent-a-son. Because I would gladly shell out for someone to come bake me cookies.

Think of the possibilities! It's better than ebay! ;)

1:21 PM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

How cool! My 4.5-year-old is very interested in cooking, but doesn't want to eat what he cooks. I was sort of hoping the cooking would broaden the range of food choices for him... ;^)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Chickadeeva said...

Well, I read a blog today where someone's 8 year old has taken to laundry and folding, and yours has taken to cooking. Mine is a reader and a computer expert. While she may yet end up dancing on tables (as she too loves to dance very much) I think I'm breeding a geek myself. Maybe she'll make enough money to take me to your son's restaurant where we can be told to have a 'nice, nice day'.

10:51 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I SOOOO love the idea that your son will read this in ten years and REALIZE what he said. It will be priceless to see the look on his face. And when SHE reads what he said? WOOOOWEEEE. Too funny.

I love the restaurant idea! And the little chef! I think there is a disney cookbook of all kinds of fun kids recipes, you should get it!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home