notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Life Before Google?

How would I have known how to make this?


What is it, you ask?

This is a device to fix the television screen by degaussing the mask.

Huh? Why on earth do you need this?

This is what you need when your child, the one I have mentioned before, decides to stick magnets on your television screen and ruins the picture quality, making all the colors off. This means Jeff is wearing a green shirt, Murray is all stripy, and this is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE to a two year old, who feels the need to voice her displeasure loudly and continuously until your ears bleed.

The thing that keeps this child alive is that you just know that someone somewhere on the internet has written about the exact same thing.

And when you search and find people selling expensive products to fix this problem you know that someone somewhere must have figured out an alternate solution.

And that someone somewhere will have written a web page about it.
And the google gods pull through for you once again and you bow down before them in thanks.

Then instead of strangling said child, you can mentally compose a blog entry about it. Because if you can fix it, then it is humorous.

And it's educational. "Gather 'round my children here is your science lesson for the week. Don't say I never let you do cool science experiments."








Still confused?

Read this if you are interested in a full technical explanation.

15 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

That really is fascinating. My kids stuck the new "My Little Pony" toys with the magnets in their feet to my computer monitor and I had several spots on it for a long time. I didn't know there was a way to fix it. Amazing!

Glad to hear your t.v. is back to is original technicolor status! :)

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I read your blog but don't usually comment. I just had to say, though, that as I was reading this post my husband walked by and saw the screen. He stopped, looked at the photos, and said "That is AWESOME." Indeed! :)

5:18 PM  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

Children are just amazing. It never would have occurred to me to put magnets on the TV screen in the first place.

5:23 PM  
Blogger robiewankenobie said...

is this a permanent fix? or do they have to take turns with the magnet? *giggle*

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Cool!

Glad your TV is back to normal.

Jodi, I read your comment and had to LOL. Mia has no less than 10 MLP, and the boys think it is hilarious to attach them all over the house. I have found them hanging upside down from the toilet flusher, walking up the side of the trash can etc etc.

I will keep them AWAY from the monitor and TV!

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like reading about my own house!
Isn't it amazing what they can do?

My oldest son was the master. He could break ANYthing.

Could....I mean CAN. He is still the first name I call when something turns up broken!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

That is really cool.

I love Google I would be so lost without it.

9:43 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

DO NOT tell my children about this. They will have to try it out. I would much rather experience this vicariously through you!

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son did this with a large magnet. We spent a few days watching the tv like that while I pondered the situation. He flipped the magnet over to the other side, stuck it back in the same spot and all was well!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I am hiding all magnets as I type. Who knew?

9:00 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

That is so science-y. Brent and I were just talking about you over the weekend and admiring your teaching abilities. I would never think to use that as a teaching opportunity. A yelling opportunity, perhaps.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Oh that is So. Neat.

Thanks for the tip!

(we have about a thousand Magnetix. Guess what will likely happen, eventually?)

11:32 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Wait, so it worked?

You really are amazing, Chris.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kalisa said...

dude, magnets change the color on the TV screen? Who knew?

Now I totally want to try it. Even though I know it has devastating consequences. It's kinda like pushing on the crack in the windshield and watching it spread all the way across your dash.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How my 4 year old scientist hasn't figured this out yet is beyond me. It's just a matter of time before he figures it out and teaches his little brother as well. Ahh, the joys of boys.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home