notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

And We'll Have Fun, Fun, Fun 'Til The Mommy Goes Crazy

Do you ever have one of those times when you wish you could just leave your body and float far far away?

I had just that experience today. Why you might ask?

I had to bring my van to the auto repair shop to have the annual emissions testing done. Today was the last day that I could have it done for $20, after today it would be $20 plus a $20 late fine. The fine would have been worth the price of my sanity.

If someone offered me $20 to sit in a crowded waiting room for an hour and a half with my wild children- why oh why did I feed them pop tarts in the van on the way over there- I would have laughed in their face, yet that is essentially what I did. yes I realize I could have gone and had my van inspected any time during the sixty previous days and avoided such a scene, but what can I say, other than, "shut-up. Just shut-up.".

The highlights of my day included:

A 4 yr old who kept (loudly) calling the man in waiting room with a long black coat, black hat, black pants, black shoes, and black shirt, Indiana Jones and questioning where he kept his whip. But it did give my 9 yr old the idea for a Halloween costume, and now I only have to sew him a faux leather jacket. Good Lord, I only agreed to sew it to make them stop talking about Indiana Jones in front of this poor man. (Personally I thought he looked more like Neo, from the Matrix, but the kids have not seen that movie.)

A 4 yr old who kept (loudly) commenting on the appearance of everyone in the waiting room, like gee that lady has big legs, doesn't she?

A 4 yr old and an 8 yr old who got into a knock down drag out brawl over a chair, though there were numerous other vacant chairs to sit on, especially since all the people were all scared off by the 4 yr olds running commentary... or maybe the 8 yr olds hacking cough and his refusal to cover his mouth.

A 6 yr old who questioned whether wearing earrings made a boy look more like a girl, in front of all the men who work in the car shop and all wear earrings.

A 6 yr old who licked, yes licked, the glass front door of this auto repair shop.

A 2 yr old who kept spinning the magazine rack so fast that all the magazines kept flying off of it across the room.

A baby who made a stinky stinky room clearing poop with the knowledge that I had left the diaper bag in the van which was at that point in the air and inaccessible. Okay, maybe the baby didn't really know I had left the clean diapers in the van, but he should have. He is nine months old afterall, hardly a newborn anymore.

A husband who calls me in the midst of this "fun" and says, just give it an hour or two and you'll find the humor in it.

I'm still waiting.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i sympathize. i am bookmarking your blog. keep up the good work.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my children would have been sure to lick something in the room too. I commiserate.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I woulda thunk they'd all have been glad to let you go first. Or, perhaps they were all glad to have something to keep them amused while they waited.

I see the humor in it, by the way. Sorry.

4:51 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

What is with the licking?? My 4 year old does that. Sooooo gross.

Even though you can't see the humor yet, thanks for sharing with us. Misery loves company, you know.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your blog, you make me laugh frequently. i was always able to do stuff like that while the kids were in school or my hubby would have done it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Julie Brooks Barbour said...

You should move to Kentucky. No emissions testing here, no yearly car inspections. When I moved here from NC I couldn't believe it, but then realized THAT was why so many cars sputtered black smoke from their exhaust pipes.

Kentucky is a border state in SO many ways.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

You might not find the humor in it yet, but while I feel for you, I'm also laughing. It's nice to know that another mommy who loves her kids is also driven crazy by them!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Look on the bright side, at least he didn't lick Indiana Jones!

(I feel your pain; three kids is about two too many at a car shop for me)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

silly old bear,

LOL! Yes, that is a good thing!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

What a mess next time I would sacrafice the extra 20.

I cant even imagine how gross that door tasted when he licked it. Glad Indiana was helpful to someones costume. And of course the baby would poop when there were no diapers. He had to do his part in making you crazy as well.

10:19 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Ok, the licking was gross, but the poopy diaper pushed me over the edge. Miles, tsk tsk.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Dear Chris,

Why are you so funny?

Love,
Darren

2:45 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I always try to find the humor in the odd events while they are happening. (Public licking being a prime example.) Because I know people are looking at my wild kids and judging their mother I always say, "Little boy where is your mother?" Maybe my kids will need counseling because I deny them in public...maybe people know I am lying...but it makes me feel better.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a band shirtcompany called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Blog surfing(as usual) and I found you guys. Nice feeling here. I'll come back . Keep up more stuff about Holiday Gift Basket, please.
All the best, Holiday Gift Basket

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I went to blogger and searched for free electronics and got your blog.
Not really targeted the results !!
Anyone knows where to find blogs on free electronics ?
Thanks

Alex

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Providing for your newborn baby is only one task that new parents must do. So out comes the baby list to make sure you are prepared for your new arrival. We found, A Guide for Successful Parenting.... a safe and enjoyable journey into parenting. Please visit.

Regards
Newborn Baby Signals

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell baby shower centerpiece. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - house tenerife. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home