notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Anticipation

For the past few months the power cord to my computer has been wrapped in electrical tape. I keep meaning to replace it, but for some reason I have a hard time spending money on something when what I have is adequate, albeit unsightly, but adequate nonetheless.

Last night the power cord began sparking, but just a little. I totally could have lived with it a bit longer. But my husband is the more cautious sort and grabbed the thing off of my computer, saying "Good God woman, what is wrong with you?" and broke it into stringy wire pieces so that I could no longer use it.

And I was, um, a bit peeved, to put it mildly. Well at least once I recovered from the shock and was able to pick my chin up off of the floor.

So today I was computerless. I can't even begin to explain how much it stunk. I felt like some sort of pioneer completely devoid of contact with the outside world, notice I didn't say human contact, I had plenty of that by people under 4 ft tall.

And let's just say my husband's comment trying to cheer me up by saying, "Hey I bet you'll get lots of things done today" well, it didn't go over very well. And my response prompted him to yell, "Did you take your medi-fuckin-cation today?"

And that made the song Anticipation by Carly Simon pop into my head and I couldn't get rid of it for the entire day, and I proceeded to burst out singing it at completely inappropriate times.

But you know what? My new medication is not working. One of the things that it says in the package insert is that the medication is currently being tested as a weight loss drug. Well, I can tell them I have GAINED weight these past two weeks. Also it says in the package insert that it should not be taken by people who have eating disorders. You know why?!? Because it makes you FAT! How is that for a nice side effect for depressed people.

I will probably go back to the last medication even though it made me tired, because at least I wasn't depressed anymore. Although maybe I just didn't notice I was depressed because i was always falling asleep. I never understood what people meant when they said they needed at least eight hours of sleep until I took that medication. Usually four or five is good for me. I mean, how do you get anything done if you sleep eight hours? Sleep always feels like a colossal waste of time.

Wow, listen to me ramble on like a shut-in.

Long story short, Rob ordered me a new power cord and paid $35 for overnight shipping, such is the price of my sanity. And even though I tried to be happy with that I couldn't help but wonder out loud if someone at Dell could pick it up off the shelf and run it right over. Surely someone needs the exercise.

And I really didn't get much done today, other than miss my computer, sing Anticipation, making up my own lyrics ,because I really only know the chorus, and picture the Heinz ketchup commercial.

Right now I am using Rob's computer. I tried to wait an acceptable amount of time when he came home before I grabbed it out of his hands. And I think I did okay by only running half way down the driveway to greet him and running back to the house next to the car banging on the windows, like some crazed paparazzi stalker.

Tomorrow I'll be sitting on my front porch waiting for the FedEx guy. I'll try to have a bit more restraint.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Damn sparks. I am the same way, why buy it when one is working.

Hope it comes tomorrow.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny

I love the comment he made about maybe getting something done.

Men are such boneheads sometimes.

6:19 AM  
Blogger impromptu-mom said...

Boy, sounds familiar. My laptop has cord issues also. It works great, as long as you use it in bed, with the screen proped at exactly 78 degrees and the power cord plug is standing straight up in the air and twisted in a knot on the other end. My hubby keeps threatening to steal it and fix it when I'm not looking, but why spend money on something that works just fine? lol!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Gah, no computer for a whole day? I'd need a box and a half of prozac.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Villagepig said...

Hi Chris,

I've just finished reading your dotmoms post and I just wanted to say that you and your family are really wonderful and its so comforting to know that there are still people and children that care so much.

Sometimes it takes a tragedy to bring this simple fact to the surface so that the rest of the we can all remember that we are ultimately all equally fragile.

Regards
Alley

3:04 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

I swear to God woman...

Were you on Serafem? That's what I was on for a few months and it was supposedly something prescribed for weightloss in addition to depression. Newsflash, I gained weight because I didn't give a damn about anything including the weight I was putting on.

Mmmm Chocolate. Mmmmm cinammon rolls. WHO CARES IF I'M PUTTING ON 30 more pounds over the course of two months. At least I wasn't having emotional outbursts. Of any kind. I just didn't care about anything. Except how good things tasted and my cravings for sweets. That I was all over.

6:38 PM  
Blogger robiewankenobie said...

that cord better come soon, because your posts are the "treat" that i save for the end of my day. i put my little ones into bed and sit at the computer until they fall asleep...and your blog? it always makes my day.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Poor Chris! That must be torture for you - here's hoping that your cord comes ASAP!

9:51 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I guess he just doesn't want to have to rebuild the house if it burns down. Rob really is a little selfish, geez.

I hope the cord came in today or Saturday!!!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

My husband has made the exact same comment to me in the past. I hate it. I always try not to get too much done that day because face it, I do have more time when the computers down but he darent find that out!

Hope you soon get back your lifeline!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog hope you dont mind me bookmarking you!

I have a fahrenheit weight loss site. It pretty much covers fahrenheit weight loss related stuff. have a look you can bookmark mine if you find it useful

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Improve elasticity of your skin. Improve appearance of hair and nails.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home