notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 02, 2005

In Which I Ramble On And On And Really Go Nowhere

Today I went to the dentist, again.

First though I filled my car with gasoline, just for fun. Oh wait that was a different post. Nevermind.

I listened to music radio, as I needed the break from the news. I just couldn't listen to the reports from New Orleans anymore. One radio station was having a fundraiser for the Red Cross. If you called up and donated money you could pick whatever song you wanted and they would play it. People were so incredibly generous that it really did my heart good.

That and you really can't listen to the song Y-M-C-A and not smile, for the song and well, The Village People themselves. Then there was the father who called up and apologized profusely for his song selection chosen by his daughter, he willingly requested a song by Hillary Duff and said his name on the air. The correction officers who called as a group and made a hefty donation made me chuckle when they asked for the song, I Fought the law, and the law won.

At the dentist I requested that my television be turned off. Having dental work done brings me close enough to a nervous breakdown I don't need CNN to put me right over the edge.

So yeah, where was I in this dull recounting of my day. I had the impressions taken for the molds for my permanent caps, or crowns, whatever you call them. Personally I am going with chapeau, in keeping with my new found embracing of the vowel "u" whenever I can.

Yes that is plural. (Insert a joke here about me being toothless and full of class. I don't have one so make up your own and laugh appropriately) I could have had a brand new car, but I have something better... TEETH! But at least we have really good dental insurance so it would only be a small piece of junk like the Ford Aspire-to-be-a-real-car. Who decides these car names anyway?

The exciting part was that I got to pick the color of my new teeth, within the white family obviously. I told the dentist I wanted them to look like I had white Chicklets lined up in my mouth. I want to blind people when I smile. I want them to glow in the dark.

So after a three hour long appointment I was ready to go home, new temporary chapeaus in my numb mouth.

I drove down the highway, listening to my baby son giggle at his Elmo toy, while it played "la la la la, la la la la, Elmo's world" over and over and over again.

Suddenly a car in the left lane swerved across the dividing line. A big SUV type car in front of me in the right lane swerved off to the shoulder.

Time is so elastic. It happened so slow, yet it happened faster than I could even react to take my foot from the gas pedal to the brake. I had time to think about lots of things. I couldn't take my eyes off of the cars, willing them to stay away from me.

After an eternity that lasted no more than the blink of an eye, my car safely passed by. The SUV wasn't so lucky. It rolled several times before stopping on it's side against a tree.

My sons Elmo toy was still serenading me from the backseat.

In the blink of an eye it could have all been different.

I took a sip from my water bottle, forgetting for a brief moment that my mouth was completely numb. The water dribbled out of my mouth. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I wiped the drool off my chin.

And I thought the same thing I have thought many times. How did I get so lucky in this life?

15 Comments:

Blogger Laurel said...

Hey Chris,

So glad that you came through that okay...and my prayers for the other vehicles, too. I remember a similiar experience a few years back; we were driving home from MA and were on Interstate 84 north of Hartford. It was raining hard and the car hydroplaned...I just let go of the wheel and kept saying "help us God"....the next five seconds seemed to run like a slow motion movie...as we spun around and faced four lanes of headlights coming AT us, missing the median rail by inches, and then continuing to spin back across the highway to land in the right hand shoulder facing the right direction. The fact that we hit noone and noone hit us was all the evidence I"ll ever need that guardian angels exist! Glad yours were working today!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

At least you won't have to keep your teeth in a glass on the bureau (notice the U). Glad you avoided the accident.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are okay!

A lady backed out of her driveway last week and I saw her coming and kind of panicked but thought "surely she is going to stop and look because she backs out onto this main road all the time"
nope.
She kept right on coming and luckily I had enough room to swerve and keep going.
I held my hands up in the air as to say "what the hell lady!"
I saw in my rear view that she had stopped in the middle of the road.
Probably scared out of her wits.
Or possibly somehow blaming me?

But I had those same thoughts.
How quickly my life could change or be over.
What would my kids do without me or me without them?


Again, so glad you weren't injured.
Did you stick around?
I hope the other motorist is okay too.

10:49 PM  
Blogger The Grouchy Old Yorkie Lady said...

Wow. And afterwards, I bet the adrenaline was just pumping.

I had an experience about 18 years ago in Riverside CA that still make my stomach knot when I think about it. I was in the center lane of a three lane highway; big concrete barrier instead of a left shoulder. Everyone traveling at something like 60 MPH. A car ahead of me in the right lane suddenly swerved into my lane, and then violently back to the right before careering out of control to the left again. I never had time to hit the brakes, and it's probably a good thing -- I watched the car squeak past my front bumper, barely missing it, before slamming into the concrete barrier and bouncing off it to spin past my rear bumper. Inches to spare. I was shaking so badly I had to pull over -- I just couldn't believe I wasn't a smear on the concrete. Not a scratch on the car. It took me nearly 15 minutes to pull myself together before I could continue on my way.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Karan Simpson said...

So glad you and the little one were ok, darling. Hope the other travelers were as well.

12:20 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

so much can happen, in just seconds...

when I had a couple of chapeaux put on my teeth I remember looking at magazines of beautiful jewelry in the dentist's office -- then I realized that for the same money that was being put in my mouth I could have had the gorgeous necklace in the magazine on my lap.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

I got weak in the legs just reading your post.

I am thankful that you and M are okay.

It's that ole blink of an eye my friend.

Bill and I celebrated 15 years of marriage last night....alone, with no kids if you can believe it (2 friends divided up the kids and baby sat for the whole day!) and we had the philisophical "we are so lucky" talk over margaritas and 7&7. I told him sometimes I feel like I am walking on a tight tope, waiting to fall. He replied "You will one day", and after I picked my jaw up off the floor I had to agree with him. But, I can't live enveloped in fear waiting for it to happen. But it is hard not to. KWIM?

Hugs to you guys.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

That's terrifying! I'm glad you're safe!

9:26 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

So glad you and M were okay. It is terrifying how life can change in an instant.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I've created a new resource for tamil baby name you can with lots of information and links related to tamil baby name
Now I've finished I thought I look around for other tamil baby name sites and see what everyone else is talking about, you know get ome more tamil baby name ideas etc...
This blog looks pretty good, though I'm not sure my tamil baby name site will get this many visitors - ah well, can only but try ;)
If you have a spare moment please visit my tamil baby name site and let me know what you think, I'll check back here again later.

Bye
Steward

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I was just messing around and found your page!
Very nice.
If you are interested, come see my popular baby name 2005 related site.
It isnt anything huge but you might still find something of interest :)

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my automobile insurance costs site.
Good luck!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my urethra play site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a yamaha computer speaker site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my used golf car prices site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home