notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Fifth Season

The inning that your child is pitching is the longest of the game. It is as if time stops completely.

I watched my son pitching the fifth inning of his Little League All Stars game. Nothing in my life has prepared me for this stress. The weight of the game resting on his tiny 9 year old shoulders. It is such a visible position to be playing. All eyes are on the pitcher. There is no back up should you royally screw up.

I find myself unable to look away, mentally willing the pitches to be good.

Luckily my telepathic skills are superior.

My days revolve around baseball. A summary of my life in the past weeks and the weeks to follow would be the same.

Baseball.
And driving to and from baseball games and practices.
Washing baseball uniforms.
Making sure that we have the conflicting schedules down for two kids on two different teams.

It would be much easier if we just staked at tent at the baseball field and lived there for the month of July. I'm giving it some serious consideration.

Making sure that kids have all their baseball paraphernalia in their bags.
Double checking that they have all their baseball paraphernalia in their bags.
Keeping an abundant supply of sunflower seeds on hand. (which begs the question, why??)
Making trays of ice to put in their enormous water thermoses.
Packing a bag full of snacks to bring with us, that will be stepped on, crushed, smashed, and otherwise shunned for snack bar fare.

Mediating fights in the hour long van ride over who's Lego Bionicle is the most fierce. (Granted that has nothing to do with baseball, other than I am trapped in the van with them and sorely tempted at times to drive into the nearest telephone pole rather than hear another argument about the intricacies of this Lego.)

And then doing it all over again.

The year has a fifth season, baseball season. God help me in a few years when I have even more boys playing little league.

9 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

I believe that I would be offering to show them how their bionicles can "fly" right out the window, if they didn't settle it. ;) Maybe that's why my kids don't like me!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crazy lady!! :)

Get used to it, the month only half over.

T

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Oh yes! The agony of watching your child pitch!! Yikes does it make for a tension headache!

Glad he did so well.

Bionicles are evil and need to be placed in a large storage container and hauled into the attic forever and ever....or until our boys have kids of their own. Then we can haul the box down and gleefully give the thousand odd pieces to our grandchildren to take home. I look forward to my sons stepping on sharp Bionicle pieces in their bare arthritic feet! Bwahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boys must be doing well! My son's all-star team got knocked out after the first two games.
He vows that he will not do it again next year. (yeah right)

So we are done with playing actual games until late August when Fall ball begins.

I do agree with you about the pitching thing. My youngest son started pitching last year and it is hell to watch, especially if he is having a bad game.
But when he pitches well....it is AWESOME no?

My oldest son plays first base, very well, but there is still a lot of focus on him. People seem to think that he is Inspector Gadget and should stretch up to 12 feet to catch some of the awful throws sent his way.
Luckily for the rest of the team he is the best at scooping them off the ground.

1:06 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I am actually very jealous! I would love to be sitting outside enjoying the summer (tense though it may be) instead of sitting in the freezing air conditioned office. Brrrr! But tomorrow is our work outing and we're going sailing! YAY!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

So I'm glad for outfielders, though I suspect it's similar to being the mother of the one shooting the free throw. May I suggest cross country. You see them leave, you see them come back, in between there's time for a drink.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

I had three stepbrothers. I can remember spending every weekend I visited my dad at the ballpark.

I can only imagine what it must be like for you!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so know what you mean. Marshall (9) was the third out last night in the game that can possibly now keep us out of the state tournament. He was crushed, and this mama actually cried at the darned baseball game because I felt so bad for him. He is still upset about it today. HE didn't lose the game.....the TEAM lost the game but he just doesn't see it.

1:29 PM  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Great post. I'm glad that you have good telekinetic powers. I hope that this season ends peacefully for you.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home