notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 31, 2004

And Because I Had Nothing Else Better To Do

I spent some time last night at the Emergency Room.

We went out to eat at a Chinese buffet restaurant. We have eaten at this restaurant numerous times over the past years,and I have never given it a second thought.

But oddly enough as we pulled up to the restaurant I found myself wondering how careful they are in handling their food and preventing cross contamination of foods. I should have heeded my intuition. You see, I have a deadly shellfish allergy, but I have not had a reaction in probably 30 years. I stopped carrying my epi pens around with me quite some time ago and the ones I have at home have expired. I have always been careful of what I ate, but not overly vigilant as far as cross contamination. I guess I have just been lucky all these past years.

But my luck came to an end last night. We ate at the buffet and I remarked that there was more shellfish in the buffet than anything else. The only things I ate were the General Tsao's chicken and friend rice.

By the time we finished eating and went out to our van I was having trouble breathing and feeling nauseous. I sent Rob into the neighboring K-Mart for Benadryl and by the time he came back my mouth and throat were itching. I took the Benadryl and after a few minutes in the parking lot we made the decision to go to the Emergency Room.

There I was hooked up to all the monitors and they used the doppler to check the baby's heartrate just as a precaution. The Benadryl had begun to help some and so the doctor asked if I wanted to start with prednisone and hold off getting the the epi shot. So I took the prednisone and sat around being "observed". After a couple hours, I got to leave, new epi pen and prednisone in hand.

I collected Rob and the kids from the petri dish known as the waiting room. As soon as we got back to the van I wiped them all down with antibacterial wipes I had in my pocketbook.

Today I feel totally wiped out. And not sure how long it will be before I can get excited about Chinese food again.





16 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

yikes!
so glad you & the baby are OK. take care and get some rest.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Oh No! That must be a pretty difficult allergy to eat out with. I think it would be a very long while before I ventured into a Chinese restaurant again! Glad you and the baby are ok.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Annalise said...

How scary! I'm so glad you and the baby are okay though.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog for weight loss clinic. I am going to have to bookmark this blog for when I want to learn more about weight loss clinic.

I think anyone interested in weight loss clinic would find my site interesting and entertaining. Stop by when you have time.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a cooking recipe site/blog. It pretty much covers cooking recipe related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true, we're all a little bit lazy from time to time. And winter is coming. So you're right, as usual, it's time for used snow blower for sale to make our life just a little bit easier!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lose 20lbs eating the food you love to eat. Burn Excess Body Fat while you Sleep! Tone and build lean muscle.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

baseball field can be found here.

8:54 PM  
Blogger gipedan said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**air filter furnace honeywellair filter furnace honeywell

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A typical dictionary definition of hypnosis states that it is: a state that resembles sleep but that is induced by suggestion. However, anyone who has tried hypnosis (and any self respecting hypnotist) will tell you that this is a very simplistic view of the subject!
A much better description comes from the Free Online Dictionary which states that hypnosis is: an artificially induced state of consciousness, characterised by heightened suggestibility and receptivity to direction. So what does this mean and how can it be used to your advantage?

Well, the subject of hypnosis has been discussed and pondered since the late 1700s. Many explanations and theories have come and gone though science, however, has yet to supply a valid and well-established definition of how it actually happens. It's fairly unlikely that the scientific community will arrive at a definitive explanation for hypnosis in the near future either, as the untapped resources of our 'mostly' uncharted mind still remain something of a mystery.
However, the general characteristics of hypnosis are well documented. It is a trance state characterized by extreme suggestibility, deep relaxation and heightened imaginative functioning. It's not really like sleep at all, because the subject is alert the whole time. It is most often compared to daydreaming, or the feeling you get when you watch a movie or read a captivating book. You are fully conscious, but you tune out most of the outside world. Your focus is concentrated intensely on the mental processes you are experiencing - if movies didn't provide such disassociation with everyday life and put a person in a very receptive state then they would not be as popular (nor would TV advertising be as effective!). Have you ever stated that a film wasn't great because you just couldn't 'get into it'???
This works very simply; while daydream or watching a movie, an imaginary world becomes almost real to you because it fully engages your emotional responses. Such mental pursuits will on most occasions cause real emotional responses such as fear, sadness or happiness (have you ever cried at a sad movie, felt excited by a future event not yet taken place or shivered at the thought of your worst fear?).
It is widely accepted that these states are all forms of self-hypnosis. If you take this view you can easily see that you go into and out of mild hypnotic states on a daily basis - when driving home from work, washing the dishes, or even listening to a boring conversation. Although these situations produce a mental state that is very receptive to suggestion the most powerful time for self-change occurs in the trance state brought on by intentional relaxation and focusing exercises. This deep hypnosis is often compared to the relaxed mental state between wakefulness and sleep.
In this mental state, people feel uninhibited and relaxed and they release all worries and doubts that normally occupy their mind. A similar experience occurs while you are daydreaming or watching the TV. You become so involved in the onscreen antics

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my used computer games site.
Have a great week!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my toys and baby site.
Have a great week!

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. If you are interested in other sex toys for sale related blogs visit sex toys for sale

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting Post. If you find home made sex toys interesting, I invite you to check out my home made sex toys website.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cabbage soup diet Break your diet plateau. Raise your metabolism. Learn more. Please visit cabbage soup diet

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bangkok post

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home