notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year...

Time for another year of school to begin.

Everyone is rushing out buying their back-to-school supplies, their back-to-school clothes, taking one last trip to the beach or a friend's house, because next week (at least here where I live) school will be back in session.

It is the most wonderful time of year for us because we homeschool... unschool... shun school, not sure exactly what term I should use. I don't seek to replicate a school environment in our home, but we don't spend our days doing "nothing" either, which I think the term unschooling suggests. I tend to think of us as a cross between Classical Homeschoolers and Unschoolers, even though they would seem to be opposites and incompatible. The nuts and bolts of how we actually "do" school is probably best left to a post all it's own.

But it is wonderful since we can now go places without the crowds and teems of unruly children.

This year we are celebrating NOT-back-to-school with a trip to Disney World. I am thinking of making the kids t-shirts that say "Homeschool Field Trip" on them,

or a version of the Super Bowl commercial and write on the front of the shirts, "Hey kids, what are you going to do now that you DON'T have to go back to school?" and on the back write, "We're Going to Disney World!"






1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! This post just made my heart soar. I've been reading your blog for a while but I couldn't figure out if you were a homeschooler or not. You just seemed way to cool not to be. So I'm glad I found this post.

You're also making me yearn for my own old house, which my kids started calling "the big blue house", I guess because of Bear and the Big Blue House and because we needed a way to identify which house we're talking about.

Anyways, we've been remodeling/renovating for a year and a half... hopefully we'll move in sometime before the kids are grown and off to college.

Thanks for the great blog!!

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home