notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Happy Fifth Birthday

To My Son,

Today you turn five years old. That is a big step, turning five. You need all the fingers on one hand to show how old you are now.

What can I say about you? You have always had a flair for the dramatic. It began when I was pregnant with you and wound up twice in the hospital with false labor. You were born screaming and really never stopped. I didn't know that it was possible for a baby to cry so much, a toddler to scream so much, and a child to talk so much.

You were the child who proved to me that I know nothing. After parenting your four older brothers, I thought I had all the answers. The third and fourth in line were exceptionally easy babies and toddlers and I took credit for it. I smugly would think,'I have this down.' You were the baby that brought me back into reality. How quickly as parents we take credit for the things we perceive as "good". You helped me realize that unless I want to take credit for the crying, colic, and reflux, I couldn't take credit for the easy stuff either.

In keeping with the theme of fives, I present five things that are uniquely you

1) You are the only one who has ridden in an ambulance. This happened when you decided to stop breathing and turn blue when you were a few weeks old.

2) Then you got to be worked on a second time by EMT workers when you fell and split your head open at our local Social Security office when you were 22 months old. You are the only one to have stitches, 12 of them on your forehead.

3) You are the only one who is ambidextrous, like me.

4) You are the only one that we call a completely different, completely unrelated name from the one we put on your birth certificate.

5) You have a rich imagination and can invent elaborate games to entertain yourself. I love to watch you playing.


You are not what one would call an easy child. You have definite ideas about what you want to do and how you want to do it. You see no problem with standing on your kitchen chair and shouting on the top of your lungs. Or standing at the end of the driveway and shouting at the top of your lungs. Or sliding down the banister and shouting on the top of your lungs. Or riding in the car and shouting on the top of your lungs. Or doing just about anything that other people would do in quiet, you chose to do it while shouting on the top of your lungs.

You have never had a thought that you didn't feel compelled to share with the rest of us, loudly.

But you are also a caring and generous child, who would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings. I admire your spunk and your energy. Oh your energy, if only I could bottle it up. I suspect that when you collapse in bed at night--and collapse you do--that you feel content, as though your day was full of adventure and accomplishments.

As you grow up, I hope that you always have this love for life, this unbridled energy and enthusiasm, that you continue living out loud. That is my hope for you.

Well, that along with you developing some sort of volume control.

17 Comments:

Blogger Samara Oz said...

What a beautiful letter to your son! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly lovely. I hope you print this out and save it somewhere so that you both can read it from time to time. I have 7 daughters, and am inspired by your gift.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Mom2the6Rs said...

Isn't it amazing how different they all can be? I thought we were using the same recipe! God Bless your little man who is "a whole hand old."

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great entry. Thanks Chris.

HEY!!! What the heck is the deal with the "make money now" comment?! Who did that?!?!?!!

12:54 AM  
Blogger elzie said...

Seriously touching! :-)

" How quickly as parents we take credit for the things we perceive as 'good'" Heh, I have heard of parents thinking this way, of course I am not one of them ;)

I love the encouragment you give for him to be exactly (well, without the colic :0) who he is! Now that is a true birthday gift!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Annalise said...

Hope it's a wonderful, happy, noisy, energetic birthday!

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your youngin'. Great day and sounds like some great memories...

7:06 AM  
Blogger ADish said...

Happy Birthday to the cutie pie screamer!!

Hey, I've got a freshly-turned 4 yo daughter (who sounds--no pun intended--just like your son--volume-wise)..... She was my image-breaker, as well. I thought raising children was easy. And then she was born! But I wouldn't trade her for anything. Except I might buy some earplugs. Or something.

Great post!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Happy Birthday, Little Man! He sounds just like me as a kid...:)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Speckledpup said...

this one is just smarter than the rest.
When you come from a big family you have to kinda stake your claim. You have to be agressive to get a word in edgewise, to get a piece of pizza, to get attention. He just knew it from day one.
Kudo's.....
He'll probably (this is from my personal big family experience) be a very quiet, thoughtful adult.....
cool.
Happy Berfday Buddy.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to him!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Nice work, Chris. As always.

And tell the little guy happy birthday from some guy he doesn't know and will never meet.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful letter as usual... happy birthday to your human siren and I have to ask since no one else did... what do you call your son if its not the name on his certificate?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

he sounds like lots of fun!

Happy Birthday number 5!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

He sounds exactly my 4-year-old with the screaming starting at birth, the loud love of life, the constant talking. He happens to be my first born. I thought that crazy behavior was NORMAL until my second "easy" child was born. I've always said I was lucky to have the "higher maintenance" child first, because the second one felt like a breeze!!

11:08 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Ahhh, a child after my own heart. I love the talkers, they make me laugh.

Happy Birthday cutie!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Happy birthday to your big kid. He sounds like my oldest two. LOUD. :)

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home