notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Nine Months

Dear Miles,

You turned nine months old last week and for the past week I have been trying to write about the stage you are at now. But I am finding it so hard to encapsulate your emerging personality.

looking out the window

You are beginning to leave babyhood behind and taking small steps to independence, which both warms my heart and leaves me a bit sad.

Active doesn't even begin to describe you. When you are awake you are constantly on the go. You walk along all the furniture and have taken your first tentative steps without holding on to anything. You race around the house, bent over at the waist, hands and feet on the ground, crawling almost as fast as the rest of us can walk. And while you do this you "talk" constantly. There is no other way to describe it other than hooting like an owl, interspersed with bouts of spitting.

Crawling

You don't even stay still when you are nursing, instead preferring to engage in something I call "nursing gymnastics" I have to hold you tightly to make you lay still, otherwise you try to stand, jump, and do handstands while nursing. And unfortunately, for you, my nipples are not detachable.

This past weekend we were at a baseball game, yes the baseball field is like your second home, and one of the mothers came up to me and remarked at how big you were getting. She couldn't believe how you were standing and walking around everything. She said, "Oh, my babies didn't do any of that until they were at least 14 months old because I just loved to hold them all the time. I'm sure you can't do that, but I just loved holding my babies." I want you to know that I do hold you, hug you, and carry you around as much as you will allow. I hope you never think that because you were seventh that you weren't as loved and cherished as those before you.

Where Does She Keep All The Dangerous Chemicals?


You hate my laptop with the fiery passion you previously only reserved for diaper changes and being strapped into your carseat. Right now as I am typing you are trying to slam my computer shut with one hand and reach around and bang on the keyboard with the other. It really is quite annoying. You keep hitting the caps lock key and I keep having to backspace and retype. I am not sure why you object so strenuously to having your diaper changed. Everyday, several times a day, for your entire life you have been having your diaper changed, why does it have to be a big deal now? Why? It would be so much easier on all of us if you would just lay still and deal with it.

You have a stubborn and independent streak, that makes me laugh in spite of myself. I know that by the time you are two years old I will be tearing my hair from my own head,and possibly yours, in frustration, but how can I not laugh when you collapse to the ground screaming as if you have been shot, just because I dared to wipe your nose.

Laughing In Spite Of Being Too Exhausted to Hold His Head Up

You refuse to eat any sort of baby food or cereal or to let me spoon any food into your mouth. Your favorite foods are pasta with butter and grated cheese, raisins, cocoa puffs, toasted apple butter sandwiches, and any other random food bits that you find under the kitchen table. You just recently discovered the joys of drinking out of a sippy cup, though the term drinking is a bit disingenuous as you fill your mouth with water and then let it dribble out of your mouth and down your chin. Considering you still have no teeth, you do incredibly well in the eating department.

You do not like to sleep and avoid it at all costs, until you can not possibly carry on any longer. At that point you will just fall asleep wherever you are.

sound asleep

Sleeping through the night is just a dream at this point. You wake several times a night to nurse. And if there are going to be points given out for motherhood, I think I deserve a whole slew of them for being woken up every hour, every night for nine months. But I am really not complaining. I know from experience that this stage will eventually pass and that one day it will be a distant memory that I have trouble fully recalling. I promise though that I will never forget enough that I would tell your wife that my babies slept through the night from the day they were born.

Asleep

Your latest passion is opening and closing cabinets and taking everything out of them that you can get your hands on. As soon as we open the dishwasher to unload it you get so excited you climb onto the open door and begin flinging silverware.

What About The Pointy Knives...

You smile at everyone and you think everything is worthy of a giggle. You recently learned to give high fives and so you frequently sit with your hand up in the air just waiting for someone to notice.

You are such a treasure and bring so much joy to our entire family. As much as I hate to fall back on tired old cliches, I have to say that time is passing so quickly and I feel the days, weeks, and months slipping by. I wish I could stop time and enjoy you at this moment for awhile longer. Well, maybe not this exact moment since you are screaming and hitting my keyboard, but you know what I mean.

Micey-Mouse, Mini-Man, PITA pocket...

I love you,
Mom

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post!
It will be great to look back on it in a few years.

My "baby" will be two next month.
She is the 6th and she is very eerily similar to Miles!

She walked totally unassisted at 10 months, she is a very light sleeper who seems to think that sleep is not the thing for her.
And she LOVES the dishwasher! she even took out the whole entire bottom rack the other day and was rolling it around. (she can now open the dishwasher as well as the frig)
I guess being the baby of the family makes you nutty.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Your boy is adorable. After reading this I wanted to run upstairs and hug my 15 month old son. But that would wake him...I'll wait until morning.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Laurel said...

I remember finding your site when Miles was just a couple of months old...it's been a joy to share his growing up, and you describe the moments so well it's like we're really THERE watching him whack your knuckles with the computer lid. Ahhhh, yes, the cupboards...I remember my Storm Queen sitting in the kitchen and pulling out EVERY SINGLE plastic lid, pot, pan, cookie sheet, and probably some dead bugs here and there from the kitchen cabinets... and then "making music" with them!

She will be 7 soon, and it seems like just yesterday. Thanks for the wonderful post!

11:12 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

He is growing so fast! My favorite line from this post? "And unfortunately, for you, my nipples are not detachable." I remember sayng that to all of mine so may times! "Hey they are NOT made of elastic!"

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with a "nighttime nurser"--our 9 1/2 month-old DD is up at least 2x a night in the wee hours.
KatieButler

11:41 PM  
Blogger MF said...

N was walking at 7 months and I got a lot of crap about not "having time" to hold and carry him. Grrr-Snort-Growl. Nevermind that his brothers were walking at 9 and 10 months, respectively. I think that counts as a total drive-by.

I love the photo of him asleep (half-way) on someone's lap. (Is that you?)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Happy 9 month, Miles! Sophia does the water-dribbling, too. Come to think of it, she's doing a lot of the same stuff (except "cruising" but she is crawling - finally).

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 9 months, Miles! You are one cute little dude! Great post Mom!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

J,
yes that is my lap he is laying on. He just crawled over and collapsed, trapping me there until he woke up.

8:23 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

Happy day to Miles.

You are doing an awfully good job.
Really.
I have a friend who complains constantly about lack of sleep.
SHE HAS ONE BABY.

Am enjoying your blog very much.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Aaaah. Our babies are fairly close together in age. Mine is nearly 11 months old now (just six more days).

And the computer? I don't have a laptop but my baby likes to crawl under the desk and start pulling on the chords. And he's so friggin fast he usually pulls the keyboard and mouse right out from under my hands. And then just giggles.

9:12 AM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

I think it's lovely that you're writing to your son. He's just adorable. And I thought that was one of your kids that your baby was sleeping on, you tiny thing! :-)

That woman at the baseball field probably didn't mean anything by her comment, but some people can be pretty insensitive. A couple of weeks ago, someone I'd just met asked me if my son was in preschool, and when I said he wasn't (complicated reasons), she said she'd had to put her three-year-old in preschool because she was "just really, really smart." Um, what? I'm hoping I think a little bit more before I speak, but I'm sure I've said stupid things in the past...

9:14 AM  
Blogger Mama Heffalump said...

*Simply beautiful*

9:37 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

You just described my 9 month old to at T! I could have wrote this post!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

What a great post. Happy 9 months miles!

Love the baseball caps he wears.

12:20 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

What a great post. He is so cute! It made me want to cry. He is so precious.

I can't believe how fast the grow up. My second just turned 1 last week. He is still not sleeping through the night and is still nursing. I am used to it now so when the time comes I get to sleep through the night it will be a special present.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Kalisa said...

hee hee. Is he STANDING ON the dishwasher?

4:46 PM  
Blogger robiewankenobie said...

he reminds me of my youngest. he hated stopping for anything including diaper changes. he was a good nurser, though...the oldest was the one who couldn't stay still to nurse. we need to figure out how to manufacture velcro nipples...we'd be rich!

i'm so glad you got time to write this all out. what good memories of such a sweet little darling.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, what a beautiful post. Miles is one lucky little boy, and I hope you'll show him what you wrote someday. Time flies so fast. My little ones are now 32 and almost-30!
Cherish every moment.

LOVE your photos, especially the b/w of Miles standing at the window.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Anne Coleman said...

*Sigh*...time flies. He is precious, nd I am crying. I'm such a mush-pot of a mother, really.

Happy 9 months baby boy :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sweet, sweet. What a nice post.

10:40 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Thanks, Chris. My ovaries hurt now.

Miles is so cute, I can hardly stand it. That picture of him so tired he can barely hold his head up but is grinning ear to ear is too much, and the one collapsed on your lap is adorable!

He is such a little sweetie! That woman is clearly clueless when she said that. I am sure that Miles gets attention and love times 8 (for each sibling and parent)!!! Something not many people can say!

I love this post! We definitely do not have a fiery hatred for your laptop.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Very, very sweet.

And I am sorry about the baseball moms ignorant comment. She is clueless. I'll bet she even stocked up on bread and water in case Rita made it up that far.

4:24 PM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

Man o man, I think he just may be as cute as Dubya. :) I really really love this age, don't you? You write great baby posts! In fact you're inspiring me ... I oughta do one myself. Happy nine months to Miles, the hourly waking, diaper-change-hating, sudden-drop-sleeping, toothless wonder.

11:30 PM  
Blogger cmhl said...

what a cutie!!!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home