notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ye Olde Crack House

You know how some people will complain that when they seem themselves in pictures they don't recognize themselves. That they have gotten used to seeing themselves in a certain way that has very little to do with their actual appearance?

Well, I feel that way about my house. I look around and see my house the way I imagine it will look one day. I took some "before"pictures of our dining room this past weekend before I tore off hideous wallpaper and paneling.






Then I took pictures of the "after" of the cracked plaster walls with peeling wallpaper. I am used to living like this.


Dining Room
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.



Today when I uploaded my photos onto my computer, I was shocked. I turned to my husband and pointed out the photos and said, "I can not believe I live here!"

And Rob responded, "And I can't believe how much we paid to live here."

That made us both laugh. I'm not sure why living in a hovel that you paid alot of money for makes it better than, say, being a squatter in a run down crack house. It's like buying that expensive furniture that comes already distressed or $200 jeans that have rips.

Right now I am sitting out on our screened in sunporch and our handyman is tearing down the old plaster walls. Dust is flying everywhere throughout the house despite the fact that we have lined all the doorways with heavy plastic sheeting and duct tape. The house will be great when it is all done and we can finally enjoy it.

At least that is what we keep telling ourselves.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you on the feeling. I'm in the same boat with my "Money Pit". I paid how much to live here and how much will I end up paying to get it nice?! Oh well in the end it will all be worth it. I hope.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Wow what a combo they had in the dining room. Yikes, well it will all come along eventually. You are doing a wonderful job restoring it.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And then you die and leave it all behind.... sorry, did I just burst anyone's bubble here?

It hides my jelousy of your lovely house (a lot of space is good no matter what the wallpaper says).

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza! Those are some nasty colors alright. They should pay YOU GUYS for having to put up with it.
Thanks for posting pictures! You're right, your eldest does look like he has a mushroom on his head. He looks much nicer with short hair. :)

2:10 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oooh Oooh are you going to paint it red?!?! I definitely recommend checking out California Paints' Codman Claret. The best part is that their paint chips are 2 feet by 2 feet, rather than little tiny chips. It is easier to tell the real color.

I'm so jealous that you have other people doing the work!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Cool on the new walls! Before and after pics to come,right?

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contractors and Homeowners

Can You Fix this and Can you fix that well

remodeling consultant Advice at http://good-remodeling.com/wood.pl?expert=remodeling . If you are Looking for remodeling consultant Then Here it is

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home improvement is a great financial investment, either in the money you put into it or the money you hope to get out of it. All 40,000 of our building, remodeling, Remodeling A Bathroom renovation and construction contractors in all fifty states and Canada are checked for state licensing and insurance requirements at the time of their enrollment. Whether you are a contractor or homeowner, ServiceMagic has the answer . Home remodel contractors or Building new construction ServiceMagic has the answer to all of your home improvement needs and questions. Again Thank you for Visiting fallbrook remodeling,,

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home