notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

And It's Not Even My Birthday

I had a bunch of things running through my brain that I was thinking of writing about.

1) I learned sheetrock is heavy. I was almost crushed to death by sheetrock this afternoon and how I felt like the old lady in that infamous television commercial, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" I had no idea that 5 pieces of sheetrock could totally knock me to the ground and trap my foot underneath. Makes me wonder if the one legged man lost his leg in a sheetrock accident.

2) I picked out a paint color, an actual color not in the white family, for the kids' powder room and it turned nicely out despite my hyperventilating panic attack when I first put the paint on the walls, because ohmygod it's so dark and so brown and I feel like I am trapped in a turd. But, hey what better place to feel like you are trapped in a turd than a bathroom.


3) When I go to the library it is as though all knowledge is sucked out of my brain and I cannot remember a single author I like or books I want to read. I wander through the library looking over all the shelves and can't find a damn thing. Interestingly enough the opposite seems to happen at the bookstore, where I find way more interesting books than I can afford to buy on a single trip.

So those things were going through my mind as I walked through town today, trying to keep up with my running children, while trying very hard not to run myself.

Then something else happened that made be cry. And I am not really the crying type of person. I knew this is what I'd have to go home and write about.

I went to the post office today and there was a package for me. A package from someone I only know through the internet. A really cool someone.

Kathy and her family sold all their stuff, gave up their "normal" life, and took to the road with their four children. They just returned to the states after spending 7 months traveling through Mexico. A part of me, a large part, is jealous of their lifestyle. A dream of mine is to take a year or two and travel around the world with my children.

I'm not sure that I even have the words to express how thankful I am. I never really get presents from anyone. When I was a kid my mother used to give me money to go buy my own Christmas presents and then she would wrap them up and put them under the Christmas tree. Then on Christmas morning I would have to get up and unwrap them all. What sort of messed up craziness is that?!?

And my husband, as much as I love him, is not a great present giver. He is famous for buying me nothing, but telling me what he wanted to get me and then providing excuses for why he wasn't able to get it. There is a reason Father's Day is after Mother's Day, I say. He will never live down the Christmas he gave me a stack of yellow legal pads (don't you need those for law school?) and a box of Junior Mints (I thought you liked those?). I need and like tampons too, but I don't want them wrapped up under the Christmas tree, even if they are the ones with the silky plastic applicator.

Today, I opened up the package and wrapped inside was the most gorgeous piece talavera pottery. I have been walking around the house clutching it to my chest. No where seems special enough, or high enough, to put it down. It has a place on the back of it for hanging it on display on a wall. I may just thread a string through it and wear it around my neck. That way I can show it off to everyone.

Kathy, thank you for your friendship, your kindness, and for a kick ass piece of pottery.


A Rare Photo
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.



And shortly after the photo was taken I shoved the children off the couch and told them to stay away from my pottery.

27 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

A number of comments:

1. Nice pottery.

2. Chris, you're totally cute! I never see you in your pics, so I had no idea. Not that I thought you were an ogre. I'd better stop this comment while it's still a compliment.

3. Your logic on the turdness of the bathroom is spot-on. I agree wholeheartedly.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you, you skinny, beautiful thing! If I have four more kids will I get to look like you?

The pottery is lovely too. How neat to find a special present in the mail.

9:42 AM  
Blogger ADish said...

How on earth do you look so young? My word!!! I have only have 3 kids and I look (and feel) completely old.

Cool piece of art, too!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Chris-you're so pretty! I'm sitting here very jealous-you're pretty and you get random gifts from internet friends!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son on the right looks pretty excited about the pottery too!

Fittsy

10:19 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

What a great piece. It is beautiful. I wouldnt be putting it down either.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I can officially hate you now. Not only are you funny as hell, can mother 7 kids while fixing up a house, but you're gorgeous too?! If you don't have many female friends, this TOTALLY explains it.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Awesome piece of pottery and I have to be like all the rest and say how beautiful you are!

Also I totally do the same thing at the library, drives me nuts to know there are books I want to read but can't remember what they are. I go home bookless so many times for that exact reason.

10:46 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Beautiful pottery! What a generous gift from kathy! I am off to hear about her adventures.

Yay!

10:50 AM  
Blogger buffi said...

Um, Chris? You are gorgeous. And you so deverve that beautiful pottery. I am jealous of both!

I do the exact same things at the library and bookstore. So frustrating. Hope you foot is feeling better. It looks lovely!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am a total dork in the library too. I can never remember any books I want to read. And I always leave the list at home or in the car. I have an English degree! Can I not choose a book???

11:40 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I do so hear ya about wandering through the library. I do that every time and yes, I too find gobs of stuff I want to read at Barnes and Nobles. Whats up with that.

And how I wish I had your figure. You are just too good to be true. You have all those kids, a big yellow house, a pretty face and figure... and you blog! What a dream woman!

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always promised myself I would never comment on someone's number of children because whose business is it anyway? Plus, I've been reading you awhile and know how much you hate it. However, I just have to say it:

Holy crap! No way did you have 7 children!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice gift, it's always a treat when someone sends you something! And you are a HOTTIE, Rob is lucky to have such a pretty wife! ;) Who would have guessed that you had seven kids?! :)
Now just keep those kids away from your nice piece of pottery.
Have a great day, I hereby declare this "Chris Day"! Thanks for finally posting a picture of yourself.

2:18 PM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

What a beautiful piece of pottery.

Also, You look great! I can not believe you have 7 kiddos.

You and your family are so cute!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

The pottery is gorgeous, reminds me of something you would see in Italy.

You're gorgeous and young! I didn't expect you to be ugly and old but was still taken back. I guess this explains the beautiful children!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, that is a beautiful piece of pottery.
And you are indeed lovely.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Wow everyone, I am speechless. Thank you for the compliments.

I feel like it's Be Nice To The Crazy Lady Day and no one told me ;-)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

You're as pretty as I knew you'd be, Chris. And yes, allow me to echo the "I can't believe you had 7 kids" remarks; you really look fabulous. Totally going to consume that blog, too; this is a huge dream of mine.

And I really needed a laugh today, feeling rather crabby, and the whole "turd-colored bathroom" thing just struck me so funny, just at the right time (crabby enough to bite my desk time). You are very, very funny and reading your blog makes me want to drive northeast and take you for a coffee, leaving all 11 kids with the menfolk.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

I agree with everyone, you are a beautiful lady, Miss Chris!

I just posted my own pics of Talavera. I love mine too! I was speechless when I opened the box and saw the gorgeous bowl. Kathy rocks!!!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my God! I'm a avid reader, and a terrible lurker but I had to drop in to say: you don't look AT ALL what I imagined a mother of 7 children who is permanently renovating a house to look like.(ie exhausted) You're absolutely stunning! I can't believe it (in a good, complimentary non-jealous way). I've only got three kids so far and I look like I've recently crawled out of a coffin....you're fantastic! And I too love pottery and that looks lovely.

12:29 AM  
Blogger MF said...

What everyone else said. Though I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone can be so pretty and not know it. Of course, I suffer from the delusion that I'm pretty darn cute when all evidence points to the contrary, so what do I know?

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always so much fun to finally see the face behind the words.... thanks for sharing...

10:17 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

When I was a kid, my mom hated to wrap gifts. She would set me up with the piles of boxes every Christmas Eve....and say, "Now, this is your pile. Don't look in the boxes." I would wrap my own gifts and unwrap them 18 hours later.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Dollymama said...

OK. All I have to say is that you are FAR too adorable to have 7 kids, and I hope that I get to look as good as you someday.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

OK can't be reading your blog anymore..sorry just way too cute for your own good:-)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

You make me laugh. I'm glad you had such a fun surprise.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home