notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Put Away All Your Breakables

I am clumsy. I forever have bruises from tripping, falling, or walking into things.

I'd like to say that it is a result of having children and being distracted, but that would be a lie. I have always been this way. My husband still laughs about how on our second (third?) date I got out of my car and ran towards his front door and fell down. Not a graceful lady-like trip and fall, instead I completely wiped out and landed sprawled on my stomach. Since I didn't know him all that well yet, I popped up and pretended like it was nothing. I was mortified, of course, but tried to pretend that my ripped up tights and blood streaming down my leg was nothing! No big deal! I'm fine really, don't mind that blood pooling up in my shoe!

As an aside, I wish I still had that kind of energy to run when just walking is completely adequate. Now a days I only run if I am exercising or someone is chasing me with a knife, neither of which happen with much frequency.

So it should be no surprise that yesterday when I was pulling up the wall to wall carpeting from our stairs that I stepped on the nailing strip not once, not twice, but three times. THREE TIMES!

I made little bloody dots all over the stairs and foyer with my heel, which my kids thought were really cool, prompting me to say, "See the lengths to which I am willing to go for your amusement?"

9 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I actually walk right into walls-not brush against them-right into them-it's weird-
-didn't that hurt like hell when you stepped on the nails?-it gives me the chills just thinking about it-yes I'm a big wimp.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!!! I'm sure that living in the "constant house of remodel" that your tetnis shot is up to date. Ohhh, three times, that's a record.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the being a klutz thing...
Three summers ago, my husband and I had to totally redo the roof on our millstone. And, like most projects around here, we decided to do it ourselves. I spent the whole summer up on the roof, hammering, sawing, and even dancing around. (This was pre-kids, I had energy and wreckless abandon) But, upon climbing down one evening, I was walking (just walking) and tripped on the curb, sprang BOTH of my ankles, and fell into a pile of nails and shingles. I have to admit, though, that even I thought it was funny....

10:43 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Do you really have to steal your son's thunder? Come on, now. He should get to be the only ill or injured one for a while : )

I have permanent bruises on my legs from running into our bed's footboard, even though we've had it for 3 years. THREE.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I know all about clumsiness. When I was painting my hall I leaned back against the other wall forgetting I had just painted it. My body in print was left there not to speak of the paint on my clothes!

I often feel like the tinman, "If I only had a brain".

2:49 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Perhaps you are the sister I never had?

Because I too am clumsy as hell.
I too have always pretending nothing happened or it was "no big deal" when wiping out.

A girl has to do something to keep her dignity in place.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

LOL, You remind me of a College Friend. A bunch of us (friends) were walking around campus when this guy she had a crush on joined us. She was talking to him and ran right into a metal pole. She should have fell down or the pole should have bent but she didn't skip a beat (step). It was though it never happened! It had to hurt like heck and the rest of us were either repeatedly asking if she was okay or laughing our heads off.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Ouch, those things kill. I just threw out a stack of them and got jabbed a bunch of times myself.

11:09 PM  
Blogger buffi said...

If it is in the floor, I will trip over it, if it is jutting out, i wull smash into it. I am the klutz of klutzes. And, especially if it is sharp, I will either step on it or nearly sever a finger with it. My husband cringes when I take out the chef's knife!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home