notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Happy Blogoversary* To Me

The post that started it all: June 22, 2004.


It has been a year now that I have had this blog. Incredible really.

It struck me that people who know me in real life would probably surprised at some of the things that I highlighted about my life and some of the things I have left out. Everything that I have written in true, but it could never be the whole truth.

It has been a fun year. To recap the highlights... I was pregnant, drove with all my children to Disney World, did lots of grocery shopping, did lots of laundry, survived the plague that I thought was signaling the end of the world, gave birth, had some post partum depression, bitched and moaned about all the people in the world that I came in to contact with, and painted, a lot.

I was going to write something about all the people whose blogs I regularly visit and have had the privilege of getting to know this past year, but by god that is a daunting task and I really should clean up this house because my husband is returning home from L.A. early in the morning and I don't want him to have a coronary as soon as he walks in the door. As it is I am eating a bowl of faux ice cream** out of a Winnie the Pooh plastic bowl, because all the rest of them are in the dishwasher washing right now.

He loved California the first day he was there. He said the weather is incredible. But I guess everyone else thinks that too, because there are too many people. I'd hate it. Unless we somehow became millionaires and could buy a normal sized house with a yard. The people he met there had an almost perverse pleasure in telling him how much their tiny houses cost. Who in their right mine spends $600,000 on a two bedroom, one bathroom house with no yard? Must be something in that California air that makes people crazy too. Unlike us sane New Englanders who live in huge drafty old houses and take a perverse pleasure in telling people how much we spent to heating them last year, that would be almost $5,000.

You know that you have a good marriage when after almost 11 years of marriage you miss your spouse when they are away and can't wait for them to return.

Hurry home, honey, the remote control is missing. And yes, I have looked for it, sort of.

Also, there is something is stuck in the disposal and I have an unnatural fear of sticking my hand down the drain, even when the disposal is turned off. I fear that it will turn itself on like a scene from a Stephen King novel.

And I have had my fill of those home improvement shows that you detest.

But back to my blogoversary.

All of you people over there on my sidebar are the ones who have made this fun. You have made me laugh, made me think, and at times made me cry. I'll probably never meet most of you, but if you were ever in the neighborhood I'd have you over for coffee or a beer. Or both! Coffee flavored beer!

And here today at the big yellow house, proving the more that things change the more they stay the same, we are setting up the pool. And no, I don't think it is filled yet.


* I don't know if this is an actual word.
** IBS and lactose intolerance are the pits

24 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Coffee Flavored Beer!!! My two favorite beverages! And my dh just thinks I'm wasting time. Little does he know what I'll be getting. Happy Blogversary. And as you know, after you fill the pool, you'll be topping it off every week because the whole point seems to be how much water can be splashed out of it.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Karan Simpson said...

Happy Blogoversary! YOU are the one that got me hooked into this blogging thing because of your humor, your warmth and your wonderful writing. Thank you.

(I also have an unatural fear of disposals, convinced they will turn on if I stick my hand down the drain to remove something. I do not have one anymore!)

Glad hubs is coming home to you soon! I know he'll be as glad to see you as you will be to see him.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It happens to be my dear grandmother's 81 birthday too!

I am so happy that you decided to blog.
Yours is my absolute favorite.

:)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

So funny Lisa.
Here, so far, it seems that the decision to set up the pool means that the temperature drops 20 degrees and it becomes overcast!

Thanks for all your kind words :-)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Woo Hoo...one whole year. That is awesome. Happy Blogoversary!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Congratulations, Chris! Keep 'em coming!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I have enjoyed many visits here since your beginning. I am a like-minded woman living a similar life (perhaps we are even in the same state? NH?) God bless you and that beautiful family...

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogaversary! I stumbled onto your blog a few days ago, and though it took me a few days to get through, I am now one of your many "current" readers.
Now go get that pool filled!
T

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to another year of blogging!

You've made it through a lot thus far.

1:28 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Happy Blogoversary! I've been laughing at your stories for many months now, so I'm very grateful for your blogging.

Don't your older sons know how to run the dishwasher? I think 18 months is old enough to start house cleaning, don't you? I hope so, because that is why I am planning on having many many kids. Well, that and for all the rocks and gravel they'll bring home. I need landscaping : )

3:21 PM  
Blogger Blair said...

Happy Blogoversary to you!
Happy Blogoversary to you!
Happy Blogoversary dear big yellow house...
Happy Blogoversary to you!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Needing to have a butt-ton of moolah to buy a house in So. Cal: true. Perfect weather year round: False. Your hubby picked a pretty nice time to come out, but it's usually overcast and crappy right now. I'm sure we didn't spend as much to heat our place as you did last winter, however houses are going up quicker than a means to power them so the term "rolling blackout" has become part of our normal vocabulary. Don't let the Hollywood images fool you! People out here are cuh-ray-zee and I can say that since I was born here! =P

6:56 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Recently stumbled onto your marvelous blog and wanted to let you know that you have another reader! Oh, could the remote be in the disposal??? Happy Blogoversary, and many more.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Happy Blogoverary to you!

I, too, love the coffee flavored beer! LOL

I am considering getting a large pool for the backyard. We belong to the pool here, but recently one of the life guards accidentally turned off the pump, so now the water looks like pea soup.

Is there much maintenance with the one you have?

8:23 PM  
Blogger MF said...

Here's to another year of funny, fantastic writing :)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

I think I may have just accidentally posted a comment on your post from last year thinking it was today's because I somehow linked to it directly and didn't look at the year and I was all excited that I was the first to comment!

Wow. That was a long sentence.

Happy Blogoversary!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

HAPPY Blogoversary!!! I've been thinking along these same lines lately because my 1yr blogoversary is tomorrow...the 24th.

Thanks for encouraging me to start along this crazy trend. It's been fun and therapeutic.

Here's to many more years of wonderful tales to share with total strangers. LOL!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you so rock. I live a totally different life than you do in so many ways, but we seem to share a similar outlook. Happy Blogoversary! (Do you get a present for a blogoversary? You should!)

Maddy

7:56 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

We lead eerily parallel lives. We've had our 7th babies within a month of one another, we had a splinter incident the same week, my laptop died the same week your airport did (although we haven't et replaced it and I am in bigtime withdrawl!) and my hubby returns today from Florida and a boat in the Carribean.

And I am planning my trip to your home state as we speak, so email me again so we can really meet IRL.
pkipke@sbcglobal.net

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has it been a year, already!?! You truly are one rockin' momma...keep on blogging!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Happy B-day!

I only caught the tail end of your year, but I've loved every word.

Keep up the good work..

10:02 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

Your writing puts me in mind of Jean Kerr's "Please Don't Eat the Daisies"! You are one very talented young woman!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Annie,
The winters are why I'd love to move from New England. I hate the frigid temperatures,ice, and snow, not to mention the cost of heat.

I think it funny that so many of us have the same disposal fear. Too many horror movies and books I guess.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

A bit late here but wanted to add another HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY wish!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home