notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Our Trip To Upstate New York

Saturday morning I woke up at the crack of dawn to finish packing and getting everything ready for us to leave early. Typical procrastination on my part ;-) We loaded everyone and everything into our van and took off. The kids were great in the van on the ride up. I think this was mostly due to them being delerious from hunger. Rob had told us that he would stop as soon as he found a good breakfast place. That happened several hours later after much complaining on my part.

As soon as we arrived in Cooperstown, we headed to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Rob and my oldest two sons were thrilled with it. I was appropriately enthusiastic for the first hour or so. At that point my 3 and 5 yr olds were also less than impressed and whining to leave. So the second hour or so I spent picking them up off the floor as their knees involuntarily buckled beneath them as we headed toward yet another exhibit. My 5 yr old cried at one point, "I hate this place. It is full of old shirts and old shoes!" My sentiments exactly LOL.

From there we went and had a picnic lunch of food I had packed in a cooler, and then headed to a ballgame at Doubleday Field.

After we had done all the baseball stuff, we went to the Farmers Museum. What a fabulous place. We all really loved it. It is an educational farm that showscases the crafts, professions, tools, etc of the mid 1800's on a rural farm. The kids got to watch a blacksmith making horseshoes, a weaver using a loom and making brooms, visit the barnyard where the baby animals were kept, and play with some toys that children would have used during the time period. We were only able to spend a short time there as the museum was closing for the day. We had hoped to return the next day, but there was so much to do we never got around to it.



Here is my 3yr old trying out the wooden stilts.




And doesn't every family with a posse of unruly boys need one of these???

Around 5:00 we found a hotel, but we had to get two rooms. At first I was disappointed that we had to split up, but I think it worked out for the best in the long run. Since we don't have tv at home, it was a huge attraction for the kids. Rob had the children with him who were happy to watch baseball on tv, and I had the children who were happy to watch home and garden type shows. That is one benefit to not having tv, when we do get to watch bits of it the children are happy to watch *anything* on it. My 5 yr old son, 7 yr old son and I all laid on the bed until midnight eating chips and discussing the decorating choices the "experts" were making. LOL

After we checked into our hotel we went out to dinner at a little dive that advertised an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner for $1.99. We could only convince one child to eat spaghetti that night, but everything else was inexpensive and tasted great. We were all satisfied and the kids each got a pack of baseball cards on the way out for being well behaved.

We went for a drive around the area after dinner and discovered that the fireworks were that night down on the lake. It seemed like fun so we parked the van and walked a few miles to claim our spot on the lakeshore. The children really enjoyed them and they were a rather impressive display for a small town.

From there we went back to the hotel and stayed up too late, numbing our minds with useless knowledge.

Part two of this exciting travelogue to follow soon ;-)






1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god! Was trawling the archives (I just found your site, and love it so I decided to read a few back issues). I went to this Farmers place when I was about 6 or 7! I am from the UK, but we went to Canada every year cos of my stepdad. We headed down to New England for a short break, and I remember visiting this place on our road trip - that photo brought back so many memories!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home