notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Grocery Shopping, or how to age 10 years in one morning

I am not sure why I torture myself and bring all the children grocery shopping. I really think I must have a masochistic side to my personality as I just don't learn from my past experiences.

I end up forgetting half of what I wanted to get and get things I really didn't want to get. When I returned home Rob asked me what I had bought at the store. I really have no idea. I do know I have 5 bags of different kinds of chips and two containers of Fluff, because some things just aren't worth the fight. LOL

I don't think I am going grocery shopping ever again. It is way too stressful and it leads to my second least favorite thing....cooking. The unrelenting everdayness of meal preparation is something people never tell you about before you have children. Children want to eat....all day, every day, and in huge quantities. And they all are never happy with the meal selection so there is *always* someone complaining.

I have to ask them repeatedly to tell me the only two things that my restaurant serves. The correct answer is: Take It or Leave It. They all know this. Even my 3 year old can answer this question as he lays on the floor crying and writhing in apparent pain over the green vegetable that has dared to disgrace his plate.

My 8 yr old answered the other day garbage and disgusting food. I have truly come to believe that children are cute as a survival mechanism.

I am a bit disappointed tonight with our contractor. There is a huge hole in the side of my house covered in plastic where my lovely new doors should be. That isn't the upsetting part though. I went outside after they had left to take a sneak peek at my new doors. They are NOT what I wanted. I had told our contractor that I wanted true divided light french doors; these are one big glass window. I could return it and get what I want, but it will take a couple weeks since it would be a special order. Who wants to live that long with a big HOLE in the side of their house!

Not to mention the fact that who knows when the contractor will have time to come back and finish the job. Afterall I am still waiting for my washer and dryer to be installed in my new laundryroom.

When he does show up I feel like the wallflower at the school dance who finally got asked to dance. I am just giddy when he shows up at our house, that he picked *our* house to work at over all his other clients that particular day. Somehow the fact that we are paying him boatloads of money to show up at our house gets lost.

Tomorrow the doors will be installed and I am sure I will get used to them. Afterall, once they are covered with grimy handprints will it really matter all that much anyway?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Welcome back! I wish I lived closer, I'd go grocery shopping (no! I won't take your kids with me!) and cook your meals. As long as I don't have to clean up the mess.

Although by the time I was done in your kitchen you might change your mind and just decide to trudge through it anyways! LOL

Enjoy your new doors! Did you remember the windex at the store?!?

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home