notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Snowy Days


Snowy Road
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.

This is the view from the front edge of my driveway down my road. We had over a foot of snow fall Thursday night into Friday morning.

I used the snowblower for the first time...ever. It has always been Rob's job and to be honest I have never wanted to do it and start some sort of precedent. Much better to fiend ignorance of that complicated machinery.

I went out to help my oldest son start the snowblower. (He does his fair share of acting helpless as well.) I got it started and began moving the snow off of the driveway. The children were all running around the yard, rolling in the snow, seemingly oblivious to the frigid temperatures. As I went around the driveway, a huge u-shape driveway with a long section that goes along the side of the house to the backyard, the kids would run through the blasting snow. They used the snow shovels to deflect the snow and try to spray it back at me. They were covered with snowflakes. Their cheeks bright red. Their laughter contagious. I couldn't help but smile and after a while I wasn't sure if my cheeks ached from the cold or from the smiling. Suddenly it wasn't a dreaded chore anymore.

I watched those children of mine. Not long before this I had been looking out the window, annoyed at the amount of snow and the inconvenience of it all. My children had the exact opposite reaction. They couldn't wait to get outside. When did that magical quality that snow holds disappear? It was gone long before I ever had any sort of snow removing responsibilities, I know that for sure.

But today, for just a little while, I had it back. I laughed with my children. I waved to the snowplow driver as he plowed my street. A wave of solidarity for two people conquering the elements. At least that is what the wave signified on my part. He was probably trying to wave me out of his way, but whatever. How often is it that it is socially acceptable to be outside with frozen boogers hanging off your face?

Afterward, we went inside and I made hot cocoa for everyone. How much better hot cocoa tastes after you have been cold. We shed all our wet layers of clothing and sat down huddled around the wood burning stove, trying to place our gloves in the best drying positions. As we sat sipping and stirring, and invariably spilling, our cocoa, the children began discussing their outdoor adventure. Who threw a snowball how far. Who tunneled under the snow the farthest. Who hit Mom with a snowball in the back. Their voices rose in volume, their stories became more animated and fantastical, and their laughter filled the room.

And for a brief moment I had that feeling back, the magic of the snow, the limitlessness of the possibilities, the sweetness of cocoa. And I thought this, this is why I had children.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

To be so blessed and know it is a fabulous thing!

You are a wonderful mother! Raising wonderful people!

8:45 AM  
Blogger cubmommy said...

That was a very sweet post!

9:17 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Love this post. It made me all mushy inside.

Can I come visit?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must say that now the children are old enough to dress themselves to go out? I'm loving the snow so much more.

Beautiful post.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

And then you cleaned up all the snow they tracked in and hung up wet clothes and cursed a little bit... Oh you didn't? That was me then. I feel like such a Scrooge when it snows.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

The wife and I have been discussing where we'd like to go for vacation this winter. Can we come to your house?

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I have a lovely image of all of you sipping cocoa together. Every time we try that, the reality is more chaotic, but amazingly, I only have two kids. What's up with that?

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, small but important thing.. Snow comes out of the snowblower, but if you hit a stick, or rock or even a ball it will come out VERY fast. Kids have been badly hurt in the past. As the saying goes it is all fun till someone pokes an eye out...

1:07 PM  
Blogger elzie said...

ABSOLUTELY beautiful!

I really did LOL - about your *wave*

This winter I am
re-falling in love with the snow. Not skiing - not watching it, but actually enjoying shoveling (I am feigning stupidity still about the blower...) and just the playing outdoors in it.

Oh, and it made me teary - takes a lot to do that ;P

I adore your writing!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Darren,
If your idea of a fun vacation in lots of snow, noisy children, and bad food by all means come on up. But make sure you bring Harvey and your love of all things Star Wars.
Halloweenlover, ditto for you :-)

Chuck,
My driveway is paved and free from sticks, rocks, and toys. Now if I had to snow blow the back yard that would be a different story.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Chris, this is such a sweet story that it makes me feel terrible that I knew there was a reason to have a kid the first time Sophia farted in the bathtub...

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Florida sucks. No gushy mushy snow stories for me. Lame. Loved your post. I remember those days very vividly. I have 5 bros and 3 sisters. I often wonder if my mom felt as you did today. Grateful for the happy noise. I know I will be, that is... if we ever get some snow.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! You bring a smile to my face everyday with your postings. I have 3 children of my own and it makes me smile to know there are other wonderful mothers out there who love their children, unconditionally. Bless you and your family and Merry Christmas to you!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post, frozen boogers and all.

I don't know where you live but there in Wisconsin we've already seen quite a bit of snow this season and for the first time in awhile... I'm kinda enjoying it.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home