notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Thanksgiving


Grandchildren
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.

I put up a few pictures of the family at Flickr, including, by popular demand, pictures of the infamous grandfather.

I have been wanting to write about Thanksgiving, but really don't have all that much to say. We went to Rob's sister's house. I love my sister-in-law and her husband, but they can bicker like no other people I have ever come across in my life. The insults they hurl at each other under the thin veil of humor gives me knots in my stomach. It makes everyone uncomfortable, but they all laugh anyway.

This time they were worse than usual and I said something about how stressful it was listening to all their fighting. Of course I said it like I was joking, because that is just what we do. They were both aghast and insisted they weren't fighting. One of my kids piped up saying, "you're being mean to each other and yelling. That's called fighting."

My sister-in-law also opened the world of Barbies up to my daughter. And everyday since Thanksgiving I have been picking Barbie accessories up off of my floor, silently cursing her, and wondering if I throw away a few things a day how many days it will be before my daughter notices... or I do.


10 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Awesome! thanks for the pic - he looks just like I pictured him!

By the way, when you daughter gets old enough to operate a curling iron, better keep it away from the Barbies. The temptation to attempt to curl plastic Barbie hair is too great to resist.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

You have such a beautiful family!
That is a great picture.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Barbie barely lived at my house growing up. My mom HATED her and all her Crap!

Looks like a wonderful thanksgiving!

Ick about the fighting it is so annoying and uncomfortable!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Hmm, "opened" would be *A* barbie. I think "exploded" is more in line for what you photographed! LOL

I had Barbies growing up, but never very much stuff, my mom always worried about the out-of-proportioned doll with nothing to do but worry about clothes and when Ken would come over would be a negative message for me. Hence I have grown up longing for a dd that I could get all the cool stuff for. I have a neice who is Barbie crazy, and I love it! lol

12:59 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great pictures! My girls got over Barbie very quickly (thank goodness!) so I throw away random Barbie clothes all the time. They have never noticed.

3:30 PM  
Blogger MamaGeph said...

Hey, count your blessings. It could be the scourge that is known as Polly Pocket.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!! As always, your kidlets are so cute. Good for you for saying something, and kudos for your son for "clarifying" it. Who knows, you family may even pay attention and not fight in future gatherings?
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them Chris.

7:02 PM  
Blogger MF said...

See, if you're going to open your mouth and try to spread a little self-awareness, you better be prepared for retalliation. Unleashing Barbie on you is particularly cruel, though.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Just D said...

Just wanted you to know I added your link to my blog... thanks!

12:20 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

That stinks about your SIL and BIL. I've noticed that some people get into this pattern of arguing all the time, and it escalates over time. It is hard to listen to, but they certainly think it is nothing. It pains me also.

I hope maybe your saying something will alert them to the bickering.

Your kids and niece and nephews are gorgeous! And grandparents too! I feel like one of your nephews looks like Rob! Do you think so too?

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home