notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Red, Red Room

I am sitting here typing on my new laptop. Hallelujah!

When the UPS man pulled up in front of my house I pushed my children out of the way as I ran out the front door and jumped up on the truck before it was brought to a complete stop and kissed the UPS man. Okay, I exaggerate slightly. I did wait for the van to come to a complete stop.

Now I just have to figure out how to get all my stuff off of the old computer's hard drive and on to this one. But I'm trying not to think about that right now. You know how there are always other people telling you to make copies of all your files and important stuff you have saved on your computer and you always mean to get around to doing it, but never do? Well, I'll join their voices and hope someone heeds my warning.

One of the things that has been on my endless to-do list this week was painting my dining room. Specifically, painting my dining room red. I have mentioned before that my idea of the perfect wall color is in the white family and red couldn't be farther from that.

It is such a labor intensive color to paint. The "grey" primer which made me feel like I was trapped inside of Barney the dinosaur such was the purpleness of the color.

I painted the first coat of red paint on the walls and stood back surveying the walls. It didn't look the swatch. It is a much deeper red than I had intended. But I was thinking I might like it anyway. Or to be completely honest, hating the idea of repainting enough to live with the color.

My 11 year old came up next to me and stood with me. "It looks really cool, Mom."

"You think? Because I wasn't sure I like it." I answered.

"Yeah, it looks like blood. Like someone smeared blood all over the walls," he excitedly said.

And I was relieved. Because that was precisely the look I was going for. I might just paint Helter Skelter on the walls to complete the ambiance.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a red room too. . . we love it . . . it's our bathroom :) I love seeing people's reactions!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Glad you finally got your new computer.

What kind did you get?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Woohoo on the new laptop!

We had a red wall in the kids' toy room at the old house (the other walls were orange, blue, and yellow with green trim. It was a bit bright to say the least). Took me 6 coats to get good coverage. Hope yours takes a lot less!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I wouldn't worry about blood-smeared walls until one of your kids comes to you saying "redrum" in a gravelly voice.

Yay, laptop!!!

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a program called pc relocater you should be able to get at any electronics store it comes with everything you need and with the click of a button one computer will be moved to the other. All of its contents will be saved in the same place on your new computer.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

((((Happy Dance)))) for you and your new 'puter.

So, the all important pictures of the red room???

I like your greeen room. I saw the exact color in Old House Journal or This Old House, can't remember which. I love bold colors in old homes.

9:37 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Chris! We should have talked before you painted, because California Paints makes a red primer. It was fabulous, and made the painting so much easier. I want pictures!!!

I want to hear about your beautiful new laptop! Is it a dell?

Btw, I can't believe you honeymooned in Ogunquit. It is one of my favorite places ever. That and Rockport, Ma. Have you been there?

12:40 PM  
Blogger robiewankenobie said...

i once chose room color based on a popcorn bag (red, and burnt orange). turned out swell, but then it became my youngest son's room. i wonder how many coats of primer it's going to take to cover the red...

3:20 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Just this summer, I painted over a VERY DARK burgundy in my master bath. It had been there five years and was looking faded and dusty. It took two coats of bright white primer to successfully paint it the Restoration Hardware Butter Cream color I wanted. I'm done painting for a while!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Ah, I'm a red room person too... but I have to admit - I never had the patience, time or money to bother with a 'base' or primer! LOL.

They both turned out great anyway!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another woman with a red room. I LOVE it! I picked a kinda dark shade of red to avoid the whole look of blood.

Unfortunately, I only did the vestibule. Can't do the foyer yet as there are peices of wall & ceiling missing still. (Gotta love these old houses) Eventually it will match the vestibule though.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Freezing our hard drive made it work long enough to plug it in to the new pc and get our files off, though I had to re-freeze it, since hubby didn't care about our photos of the baby. Worked again, luckily for him =-)

Something about the pieces parts aligning...

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home