notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Being Thankful For The Little Things

It is baseball season. Six days out of the week someone has to be somewhere for some game or practice. Saturday was no exception.

We had three kids playing in three different games at three different, yet overlapping, times. Luckily they were at the same location. Mostly it was lucky for me since Rob was able to go with just the players, sparing me from spending most of the day chasing rock throwing toddlers around the fields and bribing everyone else with trips to the snack bar.

Saturday was also overpriced picture day. The kids wanted to get the photos that look like baseball cards. But for $40 per kid, I'll use my mad photo shop skills. We just bought the team picture and one individual photograph.

Last night the subject came up about posing for the pictures. My 11 yr old tells me that they had everyone pose holding their baseball bats. My 7 yr old pipes up the they all posed that way too.

Before I could ask my 10 yr old, he says,"They had everyone pose that way on my team too. Except for me."

"Why except for you?" I asked.

"I asked the photographer if I could pose like this instead." And then he showed us what like this looked like. He assumed a position that could only be described as a gorilla taking a dump.

We all started laughing. And laughing. I exercised stomach muscles that haven't exerted themselves in years. I had tears streaming down my cheeks imagining these pictures. Every time our laughter would begin to wane, one of us would ask him to assume the position again, and our laughter would begin anew.

Luckily this child did not inherit my personality. If people had laughed at me when I was a kid I would have run to my room crying and not come out for days. And when I did come out it would only have been to give everyone the cold shoulder. Then again, I would have posed the way the photographer asked. But this child isn't like me.

Once I was finally able to breathe, I said, "Did you make a nice smile at least."

"Well, I think so." was his answer.

And then he demonstrated his "cool smile" ... one that he evidently has been perfecting in the mirror. Though I am not sure I would call it a smile so much as moving your entire mouth over to the right side of your face. It was at that point that I fell off my chair and on to the floor, giving silent thanks that I didn't have a full bladder.

In a few weeks we will get the pictures. My other two sons will probably have photos that are cute but generic, certainly there will be nothing extraordinary about them. But the gorilla taking a dump, well, that is the sort of thing that lives on in family legend.

And so today I am thankful that we will have the photographic evidence to tease him mock him mercilessly cherish for years to come. And when he brings home his first girlfriend, I know exactly the photo I will have on display.

And don't worry internet, I will share it with you too.

26 Comments:

Blogger Wicked Stepmom said...

Fantastic! Thanks for the reminder that it's the quirky photos that highlight our children's personalities that we will cherish most... not the generic, perfectly posed ones.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Bless him....I wish I had the confidence at that age (shoot...at THIS age) to pose how I wanted regardless of mockery..... Your post had me laughing out loud!!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Heth said...

Don't you just love a good belly laugh?! I can't wait to see the pooping monkey baseball photo. Gotta love his originality.

9:36 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

That photographer must have been cracking up!! Looking forward to seeing it...
Mary, mom to some original characters also

10:05 AM  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

Too Funny! I have sooo many pictures of my son when he was younger dressed up by his sisters in pink tutus. He now is the only one left in the family that takes ballet. He loves to teach his friends leaps in exchange for karate kick lessons. I am going to have some fun with those pictures when the girl friends start turning up...cackle,cackle
a.k.a. onetallmomma

10:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

That is hilarious! Such an eleven-year old thing to do. I can totally see my son doing that in the years to come. He's already got that kind of personality. I can't wait to see the picture!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I CANNOT WAIT to see that picture!!!!!!!!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I do -- I'm a memory mate photographer. I start my season tonight, about 400 Little Leaguers over the next month or so. Kids that age are hilarious. They never want to smile, they want to look tough but they mostly look constipated, so I guess a pooping gorilla looks better than that.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

I love the age of 7 - so freaking funny! I can't wait to see the picture!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, yes! Please post pictures! I'll be laughing about this for quite a while.

Thanks.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Oh yes! You must share that. I need some humor in my life for sure...Mia awoke with a 104 fever, and I was supposed to go with Bill to his neurology appointment. Bah!!!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

oh thank heavens; i wouldn't want to miss it. :)

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I swear, I never get tired of seeing all the ways my kids are so different from each other, and from me. It's truly amazing, and in this case, very very funny. :-)

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have me near tears just imagining it! now that... that's classic.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

We did the photo this weekend, too! Please post the gorilla shot asap :-)

5:39 PM  
Blogger oshee said...

That's priceless! I look forward to seeing the end resulting picture.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh yes, please, share the photo! There's just something about boys...

10:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I was just looking over the order form and getting mad about the prices. thanks for the reminder that I can doctor up something in Photoshop. Funny story! Ben got laughed at for his kick in Karate. Ah well. He is like, unfortunately, and cared.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Miss Peach said...

How many weeks are we talking about? I am eagerly anticipating that picture. There's nothing like an under-twelve-year-old's sense of humor to make your sides hurt!!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Awww. There's something so sweetly hilarious about a little kid putting on a pose that they think is SO COOL, and yet they have no idea how very silly it actually looks. And for the future mockery, I actually really treasure my photograph from the eighth grade that made me look exactly like a female Napolean Dynamite.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've marked my diary with the due date of the photo .... boys ya gotta love em.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

This is one picture I can't WAIT to see...

7:55 AM  
Blogger Gidget said...

I can't stop laughing!! I can't wait to see the picture!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Wow, what a great incentive to keep your readers hanging on! :) I can't wait to see that picture!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh - this definitley should have had a warning - Oh - envisioning the "dump" - I am sitting her crying - I can't wait to see the pics!

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home