notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Maybe He'll Get Lucky On Father's Day

This weekend I totally earned my gardening clogs and maybe some sort of toolbelt, though I don't really want one of those because who needs the extra girth of pockets hanging down your rear.

I also scraped and painted the front of the house this week, painted a section where Rob hung up new clapboards, sanded and repainted the front door, and installed a new doorknob. So all you thieves out there, you have missed your chance. I now have a front door that can lock. And a key! For my house! What a novel idea!

To be honest there is nothing to steal at my house other than toys. Unless someone is dying to have a 19inch television with a missing on and off button. In which case, have at it. Please take away the unique joy we have at having to plug and unplug the tv everytime we want to use it.

Rob and I have this ongoing "conversation" about who does more around the house:

Me: Boy, I'm exhausted from all this gardening.

Him: You? But I did all the work.

Me: Well I supervised and told you where to put everything.

Him: But I actually did the digging of the holes!

Me: Only because you didn't like how I was digging them!

Him: You were doing it wrong.

Me: Well, I went to Home Depot on a weekend(!!!) and bought all the plants, WITH the baby.

Him: Well I stayed home with SIX other kids and raked the entire backyard.

Me: Well, I brought He-Who-Runs-Into-The-Road-The-Moment-Your-Back-Is-Turned so that you could rake.

Him: Well, I went to work and earned all the money for you to buy the plants and whatever else it is that you couldn't live without and bought at the store.

Me: I stay home and take care of your children so that you can go to work and earn money

Him: Do you think I'd work this kind of job if I didn't have a family to support?

Me: Well, I put that plastic edging thingy in the ground and poured the bark mulch in... and ...and ...and I painted and put on the new door knob!

Him: But those things aren't gardening!

Me: You want gardening clogs, don't you? That's what this is all about. You want some cute gardening clogs.

Him: Yes,that is it. You have found me out.

The Big Not-Really-Yellow House


I did have to tell my kids that just because it's called a kick plate, does NOT mean that you kick it. Even though I don't particularly like brass, I decided to embrace the brass once I discovered how much a new front door and sidelights would cost.

I also bought a number plaque so now people will be able to find my house, though I think looking for the house that looks like Toys R Us vomited on it's lawn is much easier to spot than a small plaque.

Front Door

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow it looks awesome!

I thought we were doing good by mowing the grass and picking up all the toys in the yard.

My husband and I have that same argument all the time!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

So what color gardening clogs are you buying the husband!
I think taking the baby to Home depot on a Saturday and even going to Home Depot on a Saturday is more work than anything else! I hate the crowds at home depots on the weekend!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your house is beautful, inside and out. Each time you post a picture I admire how well you have restored it. Good job! Now run out and get yourself a nice pair of BRASS gardening clogs.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

p.s. Congratulations on winning the perfect post award!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful job!!!! Lovely home!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

Oooooo, Jennifer, brass gardening clogs so I can match my house...LOL. Can't wait to see the photos of your new house.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your house is beautiful! I love the front door. And the porch? Wow! What I wouldn't give to have a lovely porch like that! ;-)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, nice! And you so did much more work than him!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, big drooling going on here over your gorgeous house.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

Perhaps the two of you could get matching garden clogs. Then you would be the hippest couple on the block!

Love your house. Beautiful.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well those pictures are amazing. I want to see what the rest of that gorgeous home looks like. What a beautiful porch and that door? I wouldn't want a new one that's for sure, it looks great.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I just have to say... your house is so beautiful! Every photo I see of it, I get a little jealous - even though I wouldn't typically pick that style of home. You just make it look so wonderful I WANT ONE! LOL.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Look at him on those big steps.

Funny my dh and I had the same conversation this weekend....OK so not about the gardening clogs, the fire ants would get inside those too easily:-)

House looks fantastic:-)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Wicked Stepmom said...

I am having front porch envy! It's beauteous. I like the little garden gnome on the steps. :)

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! LOve hearing your husband and your conversations! Sounds like home but funnier!

12:14 PM  
Blogger April said...

I just turned a pale shade of green, I'm so envious! Love the clapboards! Love the porch! Love the kickplate!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

It's beautiful! Love the wrap around porch. We don't have many of those around here.

12:53 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

it looks awesome!

1:05 PM  
Blogger pink-diamonds said...

I am working on earning mine. You definitely earned yours. Oh, and you need a cute gardening apron. They are all the rage lately and look much better than those icky looking tool belts.

1:11 PM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Whoah. Your house is really looking pretty. *drool*

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, Love, Love your porch. And the "who does more argument". I think that's common conversation between husbands and wives.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Wow! It looks wonderful! You have such a cool house....and am I detecting just a hint of yellow on it? ;*)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mama T said...

I. Love. Your. Porch.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

"though I think looking for the house that looks like Toys R Us vomited on it's lawn is much easier to spot than a small plaque."

LOL!

Looks marvelous. What a beautiful home.

4:59 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Love the porch! And especially little Miles showing it off for us. It looks great. Plus, whatever you do is more work. You can tell him I said so.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your porch is my dream porch! Everything looks so great. Nice work!

5:10 PM  
Blogger The Amazing Trips said...

I'm new to blogging and just stumbled upon your blog. Gosh, I love how that happens. Especially when it's a good blog. You've been "tagged" on my list. :)

I'm curious to know ... if you're not suppose to kick it, why do they call it a kickplate? I can see how your kids would be confused.

As part of a large Irish Catholic family ... I think you need to take your t-shirts on the road. All of society would benefit if we could only see where we fit in to our mother's heart ... on any given day.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grand was the first word that came to my mind, you house looks GRAND.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Artemis Rich said...

Your house...your big house...IS. NOT. YELLOW.

I feel a little like someone just told me Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Around here we call it "We Be Toys."

I think it was from an Eddie Murphy skit, but cleaned up a bit.

I echo all the other happy comments about the porch, but I can certainly sympathize with your husband. At my house it's my wife digging the holes afte me because "you don't do it right." I must have been skipping school the day they taught us how to dig.

To save somebody from saying it - with seven kids, how can you take a picture WITHOUT one of them in it?

(big freakin' grin)

9:06 PM  
Blogger momofalltrades said...

The big "yellow" house is looking downright spiffy! The door looks awesome and I'd say that hubby of yours should have a pair of clogs to match yours....he'd look nice in pink! LOL

12:01 AM  
Blogger cmhl said...

love your porch, and the little guy that snuck in the lower left of the photo!!! is your house, in fact, yellow??

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my upcoming movie previews site.
Have a great week!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a toys r us baby registy site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home