notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Seventeen Months

Today you turn 17 months old. Will I still be doing this when you are 205 months old and writing about I called you up at college and you have changed your major yet again and that I think you were out partying? And praying that you will just hurry up and graduate, with ANY major, so that your father and I can stop with the never ending college tuition.

Doing A Puzzle

As I type this you are clutching two little matchbox cars to your chest with one hand and trying to scale the back of my chair by hanging from my hair with your right hand. It is a miracle that I am not bald yet. I know what will happen next, you will climb up to sit on top of my head and fling your little cars at my computer screen. You hate my computer. You don't understand what I could find so interesting about it when I could have YOU in face, YOU jumping up and down on my lap, YOU pulling on my hair and screaming at me.

I wish I could invent a device that would give you an electrical shock every time I am typing on my computer and you try to climb on me. Just a little shock that would render you unconscious for a few days moments. Also I wish such a device would be socially acceptable. Do I have to say I am kidding? Probably, the internet takes itself so seriously.

The big thing that has happened this past month is that you have stopped nursing. I know I said I was going to nurse you until you went to college, but I reconsidered.

Since you have stopped nursing you have been sleeping through the night. It is strange how quickly it happened and even more strange how used to it I have become already. The transition has been harder on me than it was for you... as these things usually are.

You have to have Funky Monkey in bed with you. I am thinking of buying a second one should something unfortunate happen to the original. Like it self destructs so that it doesn't have to listen to me sing my personal rendition of the Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey, that Funky Monkey..." Of course I keep saying I'll buy a second one, but much like backing up my pictures on my computer, I never seem to get around to it.

Then one day it will be too late and Funky Monkey will be gone forever and you will be traumatized and spend years in therapy discussing it.

Sleeping

This marks the end for me. The end of nursing. The end of nourishing another human being with my body. It is like the final cut in the umbilical cord. And while I look forward to wearing clothes that don't provide easy access to my boobs and bras that don't have flaps that open and close, I can't help but feel a tiny twinge of sadness. Both for the end of an era in my life and my now poor sad non existent breasts.

Ah big boobs, I hardly knew ya.

Yesterday I was getting dressed and you were playing in my room with me. Suddenly you stopped and stared at my naked chest. I wondered if you were going to ask for your beloved nursies. And I felt a bit sad for you. But instead, you started laughing. A little too much if you ask me. And you walked away muttering to yourself.

It was much the same way as when I went back to my highschool reunion and saw that boy that I had pined for all those years ago. And there he was now fat, bald, and a much bigger know-it-all than I could have thought possible. I shook my head wondering what it was that I ever saw in him. Well, that was the way you looked at me, like you were thinking, "Wow, I remember those being much better. I can't believe how much I used to love them all those three weeks ago."

100_3606

You still don't say Mama...though I know you can. I ask you to say it and you giggle, shake your head, and say uh-uh. It's something of a game now that we play. I tell you to say Mama and you say no. Then I go through every other word that you say... teeth, daddy, bye-bye, nite-nite, ball, baba, tv, and you repeat them back to me. Then I say Mama and you laugh and scream Uh-uh.

You don't have an extensive vocabulary. I like to say that you are a quiet baby of few words, which we can all agree is a euphemism for I think my baby might be... what is the p.c. word now... verbally challenged.

You have discovered blowing your own spit bubbles, and you say ma-ma-ma while you do it. So I pretend you are saying mama. Yes, I lie to myself. It's quite pathetic isn't it?

We have an unbreakable mirror that you love to play with. I'll ask you, "Where's the baby?" And you will run over and look at yourself. You will sometimes put your face right up against the mirror and look at your reflection up close mesmerized by your own cuteness. More often you will head butt the baby. It must be a sign of affection because after a long break with no head butting you have suddenly begun doing it in earnest again.

Driving, Toddler Style

You love riding on your little girly car. But you only know how to power yourself in reverse, which is the source of many tears and much screaming on your part. You will get frustrated with your inability to drive forward, get off of your little car, and try to push it over while you scream what I imagine are baby obscenities. I know that I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it. Your fury is so intense for someone who stands only 2 ft tall.

100_3269

You love to bang and hammer things. You still love anything with wheels. You can stack several blocks to build a tower, but you seem to enjoy throwing the blocks at unsuspecting siblings more.

100_3640

You love digging in the garden and tearing out my freshly planted flowers. You love throwing your food off the kitchen table.

Tupperware Drawer

You are passionate about emptying the tupperware drawer several times a day. That last one drives your father crazy, with a capital C.



You are a happy little pita pocket, and I love you.

My neck is permanently bent

Now, about saying mama...

35 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...the Old Navy blue truck shirt! We had to buy 4 of them.

Such sweet pics!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Speckledpup said...

sweet girl...and a perfect lead in to mom's day.

I think the monthly updates through his 20's is perfectly acceptable...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Carrien Blue said...

Wow he's beautiful.

So are you actually. I wouldn't guess you had seven if I saw you on the street without them, you look way to thin, and young.

I too laugh at the shrieks of fury the come out of my short people. They are just so passionate.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Table4Five said...

I too would like to know the secret of looking that young and thin after seven kids! I have three, and I look every bit my age.

As for your son, he is adorable, I love his bare toes peeking out in that first picture. And despite the girly car, he looks ALL BOY to me! So, so cute.

Oh, and I would definitely buy at least one back-up Monkey just in case!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

A bit teary here. They grow up so quickly. My youngest weaned 18 months ago and I still occasionally miss the heavy, sleepy feel of her body on mine. No, not enough to want to nurse another child. The "girls" like being encased in VS frilly, satiny bras. Now, if only the 4 year old would cease with the tantrums life would be truly sweet.
Thank you for sharing.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

such beautiful pictures

12:05 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh no!!! The boobs! I'm so sad for them. I'll do a little moment of silence in my office.

Miles is the most adorable baby I've ever seen, except for your daughter who slays me with every pictures. Love the post.

12:20 PM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Okay, before I say anything else (like how smoochable that boy is)...back up your pictures!!! You will be bummed with a capital P.O. if you put this off and your computer has a meltdown. I speak from experience. :-) It takes just a few minutes, so back up your photos of those gorgeous children. You'll be glad you did.

Now, that baby is absolutely precious! The wispy baby hair, the tiny toes, the whole deal. The sleeping photo is priceless, with that arm tucked behind his head. Ah, to be that small and relaxed! And may I say you're very smart to keep him in a kitchen drawer where he'll be accessible?

If I were you, however, I might consider making him say mama to get something he really wants, but I'm manipulative that way. ;^)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Do the breasts continue to shrink after each child? After having breastfed only one, mine went from a large C to a small B. My husband and I would like a big family, so at this rate, I'm calculating that by baby number 3, my breasts will have actually started to cave into my body.

Also, my eighteen-and-a-half month old child just said "mama" deliberately a couple of weeks ago. He too was such a tease about it.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

what adorable pictures -- i loved them. he's the cutest! and i say ditto to carrien; if i saw you on the street i would say no WAY she had had 7 kids. you are thin and look great! :)

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is beautiful and you take wonderful photographs. I love that you took a photo of his little legs under the sand table ('Short Legs' photo on Flickr).

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Chris. Another beautifully written letter to your child. I love reading these from you. And the pictures are so sweet.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Heth said...

Chris, I love reading these. What a wonderful way to remember all of the little moments. Now if he could only reward you with a big old "Mama!".

Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. You deserve it.

2:04 PM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

Dubya, a month older, used to look at my boobs and laugh too. Still does sometimes. He'd get very giggly, like a 13-year-old boy.

He's also quite verbally challenged. We ask him to say Mama or Daddy and he throws an absolute fit. He's a champion grunter. And screecher.

What an adorable boy that is. The dirt pic is amazing. Good action.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, beautiful, sweet post. Thank you for sharing. Have a great mothers day!!!

tammie

2:06 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Happy 17 months, Future Son-in-Law. You're a beautiful boy!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you're so pretty! A good writer too.

2:09 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Chris, My 17 month old will say everyone's names in our family except our 16 year old. When asked to say that name, she shakes her head mischievously and says, "No." I think she is just teasing her.

Mary

2:36 PM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

So sweet. Happy Mother's Day!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Guinness_Girl said...

OMG, that is adorable!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

Sweet and funny. I love that after that many kids you still have a sense of wonderment about this precious time. Mine is 2 1/2 and it goes by too fast.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to laugh! My Bean (who is 15 months) also can only power his car in reverse.

So sweet...

4:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are my favorite posts that you do. You have a gift.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

That is a great picture of you! I loved the set too. You have your new camera wired! Great clarity and eye!

5:46 PM  
Blogger oshee said...

What a beautiful tribute to your son. He is going to love seeing it when he gets older.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife breastfed our Okapis (boy/girl twins) for about 14 months. They started saying "Da da da da" first and it was an awesome feeling...for me. But she got to hear, "Mommy do it!" for a long time which was not so fun for me.

You have a wonderful style of writing. Honest and genuine without taking yourself too seriously. I really enjoy it. Thanks.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

my dd will be 17 months on the 16th.....cry cry cry...they grow so fast, your post made me teary!

9:53 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Don't do another thing before you back up those priceless pictures!

Happy Mother's Day . . . treat yourself to something very relaxing and peaceful leaving the kids with hubby . . . even if it's just for a couple hours!

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy mothers day to one of my favorite moms! Now go backup your photos....

10:49 AM  
Blogger Laura K. said...

You are too gorgeous for words! I can't imagine you had so many children yet still look so.. HOT! *BRAVO!*

12:00 PM  
Blogger emlouisa said...

I. Love. This. Post.

and I love your blog. I'll be back!

4:05 PM  
Blogger April said...

I can't remember how old my baby is half the time..I think he just turned 19 months..and verbally challenged would be one way to say my baby speaks another language that none of us know. He knows two words, no and hot. Brilliant. Love the monthly posts.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me teary... especially when I read about your nursing story.. My son is almost 13 months. I don't know how would I feel if I don't nurse him anymore... It must be sad... By the way, your baby is so cute! Mine also loves cars!

Cute pics!!!

Cheers,
CinnamonLeaf
http://cinnamonleaf.lipblogs.com

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write the sweetest letters, and the pics are adorable. Love the last one!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm a bit late with my comment but you know what they say. Chris he is just beautiful. I find myself living vicariously through your monthly updates as my daughter was born the day after Miles. I too laugh at the shrieks that come from my little peanut.
By the way... you are just beautiful also, one would never guess that you handle such a daunting task each day.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home