notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Open Letter To People Driving By My House At 8:00am,

I know you are probably wondering what all those children are doing outside so early in the morning during a blizzard, coats and boots on over their pajamas.

I am sure that a few of the children were whining and making their sad pitiful faces at you as you drove by, hoping against hope that some nice family would pick them up, bring them home and save them from their pitiful, tortured life. Oh, and give them hot chocolate with whipped cream and mini marshmallows.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you decide to take the snow shovel off of the front porch, play with it in the yard, and LEAVE IT THERE the day before a blizzard hits and effectively covers the shovel, leaving nary a clue of it's whereabouts.

Don't worry, I am sure this will just be a one time occurrence. Natural consequences... much more effective than any form of punishment.

Signed,

The Mean Mean Mean Mother

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, you probably win the mean mom for today, but i've been awarded the tile more than once. "natural consequences" -one of my favorite phrases in the whole wide world! happy monday from one chris to another

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA

Man thanks for my morning laugh!

My girls lost my really nice flashlight (one of those maglites like the cops use) and we found it a year later buried under the HAY from the hayride my husband did for the school!

They had apparently made a "fort" and used the light to illuminate it.

And no, it didn't work.

:(

10:43 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

Love it, it's nice to know that I'm not the only mean mommie in the world. Thanks for making me not feel alone.

You should have taken a picture and post it on the fridge as a reminder.

Thanks for the laugh.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Speckledpup said...

I get the same compliment from strangers about how well behaved my children are.
What they don't see are episodes like this one you've just had. When I'm yelling "everybody up....lets find...whatever it is"

More power to ya mean mommy.
And I hope you didn't give them hot chocolate when they finally did get to come in.
But you're probably nicer than me.

11:11 AM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

LOL! (Did they find the shovel?)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Good for you! I'm a big believer in natural consequences myself...along with the corner........and unfortunately yelling. Alot.

11:50 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I don't think that is mean at all. A good lesson, that's what it sounds like. Plus, you are teaching them about temperatures, and precipitation, and traffic, etc.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Ha, that sounds like something I would do. But since I have only one son and he tends to be loud and whiney, chances are I would be out there with him just to keep the noise level down so the neighbors wouldn't lynch me!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Good for you! They wont be touching that shovel ever again!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

With my kids, if I offered a dollar to whomever could bring me the shovel first, they would:

a) find it in two minutes

b) bloody each other with the shovel, trying to get it to me first

c) insist they had earned MORE than a dollar, since apparently I wanted the shovel so bad, in spite of the fact that it was THEM that lost it in the first place.

I like your way better.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog this weekend and find it inspirational. I have 3 children, and have already applied your laundry basket organizational techinique for two of them (one is 5 months old...a bit too young, but his basket is waiting!) Thanks for sharing.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Oh, you are GOOD!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

This is a great example of natural consequences - so did they find the shovel?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home