notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

She's Making A List, Ignoring It Twice

Things I still have left to do before Christmas:

1)Bake and decorate our gingerbread house. I am thinking of taking a lead from my friend Annalise and adapting her cookie-less chocolate chip cookie recipe and making a gingerbread-free gingerbread house, which would basically be giving the kids packages of Necco wafers, gum drops, and licorice string to eat and calling it a day.

2)Wrap way too many freaking presents for my children, which a month from now I will be tripping over and wondering why I didn't just toss my money into the garbage and save myself the time and aggravation of shopping.

3) Clean my house so it will pass the white glove test of the relatives. God help me. Right now my house is in "kick a path" condition.

4) Buy some new wine glasses, since I have broken all but two of ours. If I don't get to buy some I must then choose three relatives I would not mind sharing my glass with. Why do they make wine glasses so fragile? Don't they know that drunk people will be handling them?

5) Bring the kids to see the mall Santa and get their picture taken with him. Wonder if I could test out my new wine glasses while doing this.

6) Decide what to serve for Christmas dinner and then buy it and cook it.

7)Bring the kids to the dollar store so they can buy presents for each other, Rob and me. Because Rob needs another one dollar ceramic figurine for his office, which is where we tell the kids all the tacky shit, ugly crap, presents they give us end up.

8) Clean the bathrooms and make boy use the outdoors until after Christmas.

These are just the highlights of the normal things. I also have to finish painting my kitchen cabinets and installing the new hinges and hardware, thus giving the illusion to the relatives that our cabinets aren't held together by spit and prayer. And hang my new dining room curtains. And... and...

And yet here I sit procrastinating. The only explanation I have for this is that I love the adrenaline rush of not knowing if it will all be done in time. Will the relatives be eating PB&J and the kids rooting through Target bags for the gifts?

I think I need more coffee.

14 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I'm right here with ya. We should form a Procrastinators Club. Tomorrow...

9:18 AM  
Blogger Hayley said...

I would join that club. Right after I finish watching whatever is on TV, and then picking my fingernails for an hour.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just posted about our impending trip to the Dollar Store.

ugggg

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Ugh, don't remind me. My four-year-old recently pointed out that there is a "really big sack" in my closet. Yep, that's all the crap I have to wrap up between holiday parties, job interviews, and house prep for the guests this weekend. AAAAA!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Christmas presents haven't made it into the house yet. They are still travelling in the trunk of my car! Oy.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

This is why I have plastic wine glasses. Classy, I know. Hey, why don't you come down here and let Rob and the kids fend for themselves? We have free long distance, so you can call and wish them a Merry Christmas while enjoying a plastic glass of wine in our fairly clean bathroom and eating our annual Christmas Eve pizza...

10:17 AM  
Blogger K said...

Is there an IKEA near you? They have great wine glasses, 6 for under $6. Our Martha Stewart K-Mart wine glasses have lasted a very long time so I can recommend them too.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there some law about drinking wine out of a mug? and you get more that way, right? ;)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I feel your pain. And when it gets really bad, freezing up is all you can do! Make someone else host and feel a burden being lifted up and away. Best of luck to you. (Hey, you can get your wine glasses at the dollar store-that will combine two trips. And what about paying your oldest child to wrap presents? Tell him that if he spills the beans to any of the recipients he won't get paid!)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Lilorfnannie said...

" 'kick a path' condition"

Too funny! It made me feel better, though- at least I'm not the only one! What kind of homemaker am I, when the only gift Hubby requests is "a clean house"!! Oh, that I could hire a maid!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Heather@ Simple Panache said...

I could be the organizer of your procrastinator club! We would get everything done late and half assed if that was the case. I shouldnt be so hard on myself and neither should you! We dont live in a Beaver Cleaver society anymore.

As far as wine glasses, I bought some about 2 years ago at Target. They have all lasted the test of time, which has included my youngest thinking he was a "grown up" and has used them on several different occasions for just milk. Good luck with all you have left to do!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Annalise said...

And there are plenty of other recipes where that one came from - just let me know if you need one for some special occasion :-)

3:48 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Dh and I long ago stopped wrapping for one another for all occasions and just whip the item out of a bag--sort of like "rooting through a Target bag."

Made me laugh again!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crate & Barrel has a sturdy wine glass that sells for 1.95 a pop called Rafael. That is if you don't leave it on the floor next to your chair and then forget and throw down a book or something on top of it. Not that I would do something like that...

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home