notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Yes, I Am Getting Old

My thighs are killing me. I can barely walk and am resigned to hobbling around for the second day in a row.

But since it was a "holiday" we had to do it. It was the only thing that I really wanted for Mother's day.

We have been meaning to get around to it for awhile now, but other things kept getting in the way, namely all the baseball running around. But with the non-stop rain this weekend there was no excuse, no reason to leave the house.

So, we got out all of our tools. Took a few deep breathes and we dove in.

And yes, we took photos.

More Floor

More photos that you probably want to look at.

Caged Children

Then some of them escape.

Some Of the Caged Children Escape

Except the baby. He LOVES to watch us from afar.

He LOVED watching from the other room

What isn't visible in the photo are the hot pokers with which he is being stabbed.

Here is my tool.

Grouting the Tile

Are you asleep yet? Too bad.

Even small children are forced to labor here.

Hard Knock Life

"No, no breaks for you! I don't care if you are tired!"

Cleaning the Tile

Because I had scrub each individual tile with a wire brush, steel wool, and denatured alcohol. My daughter is "helping" with her bucket of water and little scrub brush. And though she tried her best, she could not gouge the already hardened grout out from between the tile.

I love this floor and it's dirt hiding properties. We have the same tile in our mudroom and it never looks dirty. I haven't mopped it in... well, how about we say a month. m'kay? But the thing is a quick sweep and it looks clean! My husband likes to point out that it is just as dirty as a white floor, and that just because you can not see the dirt doesn't mean it isn't there. But I just plug my ears, say," lalalala... you know where we keep the mop" Though, after reading about this on Mary's blog, I think I am going to have to buy my husband this for Father's Day.


Completely unrelated, my 8yr old made me this at a leather working class he took last week. I don't know what to say about it other than should I ever run into David Blaine I am prepared.What to wear with this creation...

23 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Yippee! I'm #1 today!

I love the tile. Not only does it hide the dirt, but it looks good too. Nice choice and excellent handiwork. You guys are so talented.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

oops, I almost forgot:

So who did the most work, you or your husband?

or is the debate still on?

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a robotic mop!

That's great tile. I hate carpet for its dirty hiding, but on the other hand, I am not crazy about the ability of my wood floors to show every single crumb either.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all did a wonderful job! I love the tile you chose. We are getting ready to start back to work on our old "crack" house. I am already tired just thinking about it....

9:52 AM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

jennifer,

I did, of course!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I so need a scooba!

I love the tile and the dirt hiding potential makes it all the more attractive!

9:58 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

The scooba... now that looks like my kind of friend. Of course my kids would pick it up and try to make a pet of it... or try to get a ride on it ...or chase it around poking it with a stick. While I followed, screaming and desperately trying to save the poor thing's life...

Mary, mom to the screaming masses (oops, no, that's Carmen...)well, mine scream too...

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

That looks great!

I love the pic of the baby screaming through the gate. My kids learned to hate those very early on in life. :)

10:08 AM  
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

mary,

see I was thinking that I could let it clean at night after the kids are in bed. How awesome would that be?

Though I wonder how well it really works...

10:17 AM  
Blogger c said...

Yes! The scooba looks like a great idea. I've also seen a vacuum that works all over the house by itself which could be a little dicey for those of us with many loose items everywhere. It's kind of a pool vac for the house.
Anyway, the floor looks fabulous!!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Yeah, keeping it put away til the natives are asleep would definitely prolong its life...

Then again, consequences for misdeeds at my house often include scrubbing the kitchen floor, so would I really want to deprive my kids of that..??

Mary

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking floor! Love the photos especially the screaming baby one! Ha! That's mine too! Except now he pushes chairs over to it and climbs over and up our steep stairs! Oh joy. Hope the legs get better soon! Yeah, and I soo think David Blaine is a devil worshipper! Ha!

12:31 PM  
Blogger deedee said...

Ooh, I didn't know about the Scooba. I want a Scooba. I am going to try and put one in my suitcase this summer. Customs will love it.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

The floors look great!

As for the Roomba, Bill would love going to bed and having something sweep the floors all night long. It would be ecstacy for him.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, found you on ttlb and like your blog style I'll pop by again but I wanted to say your son's leatherwork piece is lovely. Tiles are fab, I have something similar after 15 years of lino and I can say they've been a godsend, so easy to keep clean and feel natural underfoot. I look forward to catching up on your previous handiwork over a cuppa.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Crap... you just reminded me that I never got back to 'them' with my "reasons I love Chris so much" prose entry. Now I have to give them back their $150 bribe.... errr... you didn't read that part K? LOL.

Just kidding of course. But I totally spazzed and was insanely busy and didn't get my email sent. I still luv ya though K?

Ummm... the tile? NOT too many photos. Totally happy you did them. I am getting ready to do the same thing to my poor readers with our basement photos. I just have to wait until we get the doors up first. Then look out - I have a kazillion photos of the process to 'share'. Y'all are gonna love me.

Hee hee hee. (I LOVE tile floors but do not have them in this house. I've almost got dh convinced to rip up the family room carpet and replace with tile though... so your photos will come in handy since we've never done it ourselves before!)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking to say, love your blog and the tile. How hard was it to do the tile yourself? I consider myself somewhat of a DIYer and I did tile my backsplash, but the whole sub-floor thing has me worried. Just wondering how you would rate laying tile on a scale of 1-10?

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too lived in a *renovators delight* and can tell how hard you have worked, the floor looks fantastic.

You deserve the scooba when you have a large family. I worry though about getting up in the night to an unsettled child may result in plaster on one limb or another should you encounter the scooba unexpectedly.

7:28 PM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

wait -- is that my floor? it's not, is it? 'cause yours is real tile and mine came on a roll? and i don't have to clean it, ever?

(Just kidding about the last part. My husband does a darn good job.)

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog, and I had to de-lurk to comment today. The tile looks fabulous, and I'm so impressed at your DIY skills. As for the Scooba--my dh just got me one for Mother's day!!! I'm so excited. And since he got me a Roomba for Valentines, I may never have to do housework again.
Becca

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Chris! It must have been tiring doing all those handiwork. Finished that already? Hope you did.

By the way, you have 7 children, right? only 1 daughter? Sorry if I'm mistaken. Your boys look the same :D.

Luv,
Cinnamon Leaf
http://cinnamonleaf.lipblogs.com

4:10 AM  
Blogger Mary Tsao said...

Chris, I'm so glad you can appreciate the Scooba! I was telling a room of women about it yesterday and from their blank, uninterested stares I realized: they all had cleaning ladies. Oh. Well I've got a robot! So there!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the tile, too, and I would so love to have a dirt camoflauging floor in the kitchen! We have hideous vinyl laid (crookedly) by the previous owners! And I love the green color on the walls in the background. I'm impressed with your handiwork woman!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home