notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Tying Your Shoes, Typing, Washing the Dishes, Squeezing the Toothpaste Tube

What are things that are difficult to do with a huge bandage on your half missing thumb.

This is a picture of the built-in benches that cost Rob his thumb. They turned out really nice and were totally worth sacrificing a finger, that wasn't mine.

Banquet seats

Rob is in surgery as I type this, having his thumb repaired. He sent me this email yesterday afternoon:

She told me to be sure to where a very roomy shirt, as my dressing will be quite bulky and may not fit in a normal shirt.. Excuse me....! Uhm.. What exactly do you think this surgery is for? A heart transfer or a damn thumb??!! Too bulky?? Just how much dressing are they expecting to put on one hand? There is just so much wrapping they can do.. Am I supposed to wear this roomy shirt for the next two weeks too? Should I go shop at the big and tall shop to outfit myself to accommodate my "dressing"..?

In case it isn't clear from the email he was also told that he would have to leave the bandages on for two weeks without having them removed. If his hand can't fit inside a regular shirt, what is he supposed to do for wearing clothing to work. He is also traveling for business next week and part of the trip is going to Universal Studios in Orlando. I can't figure out exactly how that is business related either, so don't ask me.

I joked to him this morning that I half expect to pick him up from the surgery center and find him in a apparatus like this:

cast

with one of those dog cones around his neck for good measure.

25 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Those benches are beautiful! You're right, they were totally worth someone else's finger.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Once Robs thumb is ummm, better, could you please send him over to build me some benches too? Please?????????

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Rob.

YOu never realize how handy things like fingers and eyes and legs are until you can't use them.

He needs a puffy shirt a la Seinfeld.

But, to the REAL important issue...those benches are gorgeous!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

That's sad and all...but, uh, that was TOTALLY WORTH IT!

It looks so amazing, I made my husband come look and told him "Now take notes!".

12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Benches or thumb? I would totally go with the benches.

My husband is outside right now replacing our wrap around porch. He is complaining pretty heavily. I need to show him this blog and tell him to suck it up!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

The benches are gorgeous, but that dressing....it's going to be tres chic. Especially if it looks like the one in the b&w photo there. HAWT.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Those benches are fabulous. I love the glossy white paint against the green walls. Well worth a thumb. Well worth a thumb indeed.

He might not have to wait in line at Universal Studios if his dressing is ostentatious enough. At least there's that.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Kalisa said...

the room looks awesome. He built those himself? Wow.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

The benches are terrific! (How many adjectives can we use today to describe how cool they are? hehe)

I hope Rob's surgery goes well!

1:11 PM  
Blogger c said...

Love those benches. They look so old and new at the same time.
My husband had elbow surgery and had a contraption on his whole arm for quite a while. Made him look like he was bionic. ..Hope all is well with the thumb very soon. Maybe Rob should wear blousy pirate shirts for a while. They'll go nicely with the bandaging.

1:21 PM  
Blogger but Momma said...

How 'bout a T-shirt : I lost a thumb for my wife and all I got was this lousy XXXL T-shirt.

It's a sad day for all women who have no DIY husbands. You got the catch of the day!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the benches are gorgeous! I'm in total lust over them. I'd donate one of my dh's fingers for one!

Glad you and he have kept a sense of humour about the whole situation - nothing sucks worse than being too sick/hurt to laugh about it.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The benches are beautiful. Now you'll have a great story of Grandpa loosing a thumb for them. In about 30 years.

I hope his wrapped thumb doesn't get in the way of him test riding new attractions.;)

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the benches but I like the wall color even better!

7:58 PM  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

By now you know how big the dressing really is; a friend of mine had a cyst removed from his palm, and he said his dressing was as big as a softball. Sending speedy recovery wishes for your hubs...

(Beautiful benches, of course!)

8:51 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

The benches are bea-utiful! I wish my husband would sacrifice a finger for something so nice!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I LOVE the benches! The wall color too.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the way you ended this post had me belly laughing..

The benches are beautiful. Yeah, so worth the sacrifice.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Kate Hagel said...

soooo worth losing someone else's thumb for. hoping for a smooth, mostly whine-free recovery.

Did you leave just a little blood stain on the benches so he can boast about it later?

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The benches are awesome! I am so envious of how that space is just coming together so nicely. Do the benches have storage inside? What's the name of the color of paint on the walls? It's so refreshing.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bench.

Hope all went well with the surgery and the large bandage.

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no.....I have a MAJOR case of bench envy now.....

I want those benches....they were worth the finger, I think.

8:33 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

WOW! Just wow! I'm honestly stunned at the benches! Rob should do this professionally! You know, except for the whole cutting off his finger thing.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Color laser cartridges

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Lasik coloredcontacts allegra allegrad zocor girl received breast implant graduation gift Celebrex side affect Semi nude lingerie models Ativan us San fernando valley pilates Moving company equipment charleston south carolina Supplements for breast enhancement http://www.strap-on-dildo-6.info/Vibrator-review.html Rhinoplasty tip dropping http://www.roche-tamiflu.info Breast enlargement message board Journal of oral surgery Gl2 canon g2 minidv Country ray saunas meridia

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home